Managing of P7/P8

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

as Pharo 8 development started I wonder:

  1. When will it be possible to already get a Pharo 8 latest image
     from ZeroConf. Because one requires ideally the latest image to contribute
     - no?

     Or should one search/download from the CI server for the time being (which
     would be cumbersome)

  2. How will contributions still going to P7 handled regarding P8.
     Typically a bugfix for P7 should also go into the P8 image - no?
     But from the integration mails floating around I do not see
     this is happening.

     I would expect that a PR for Pharo 7 would also be merged into Pharo 8 branch.
     If not the images could easily diverge too much or done fixes for P7 will not be in P8.

Thanks in advance for clarification!

Bye
T.

Re: Managing of P7/P8

CyrilFerlicot
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:38 PM Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello,

> as Pharo 8 development started I wonder:
>
>   1. When will it be possible to already get a Pharo 8 latest image
>      from ZeroConf. Because one requires ideally the latest image to contribute
>      - no?

I guess zeroconf for P8 will be set after Pharo 7 release.

For now I get manually a Pharo 8 image from files.pharo.org and I use
the Pharo 7 VM to contribute.

>      Or should one search/download from the CI server for the time being (which
>      would be cumbersome)
>
>   2. How will contributions still going to P7 handled regarding P8.
>      Typically a bugfix for P7 should also go into the P8 image - no?
>      But from the integration mails floating around I do not see
>      this is happening.

There is only few fixex that will still be integrated in P7 for the release.

While the Pharo 7 development is still active there is often a merge
of the P7 branch in the P8 branch to keep them up to date.

After P7 I guess backported issues will be integrated in the P7 and P8 branches.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr