Mantis usage rules du jour

12

RE: Mantis usage rules du jour

Ron Teitelbaum

Mails on
> new issues? State changes (to see when something's resolved)?
> >>
> >> Yeah, great idea. I'd say send messages for both, with a [Bugs] tag for
easy
> filtering.
> >
> > Colin
>
> +1 for [Bugs] because short.
>
> - Bert -

Bugs is good because of bugs.squeak.org and mantis does come from bug.  I
thought about bugs first but was thinking that we don't use mantis to
document bugs only.  We use it for new code, for making changes to working
code and such.  It works fine for me but I wonder if the name would prevent
some people from using it, or would it cause some confusion.

[Squeak-dev] should really be [commits].  Maybe [Bugs] should be [changes]
or [discuss].

Ron

Re: Mantis usage rules du jour

Bert Freudenberg

On 24.02.2013, at 19:51, "Ron Teitelbaum" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

[squeak-dev] is added to all mails by the list software.

[Bugs] would be in addition.

Actually, since we don't have a [tag] for commit messages either, maybe we don't need them, as long as the rest of the generated subject still allows filtering?

- Bert -

RE: Mantis usage rules du jour

Ron Teitelbaum
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:squeak-dev-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Bert Freudenberg
>

> On 24.02.2013, at 19:51, "Ron Teitelbaum" <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are right.  That was silly.  I agree.

I don't filter out commits but since they come from
[hidden email] that would be good enough.  If mantis comes from
[hidden email] that would be enough too.

Could we add a footer to the email from bugs that says this is the place for
discussing specific changes to squeak, suggesting new code, or reporting
bugs.

Ron

> - Bert -

Re: Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Karl Ramberg
I'm no expert on SqueakSource3, maybe there is someone who have deeper knowledge that can share ?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/23/2013 05:15 PM, karl ramberg wrote:
I see SqueakSource3 has a Issues category per package.

For example:
http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/dgg.html/Issues

Karl

Nice, thanks for pointing that out.  There has been some discussion of setting up a SqueakSource3 instance as an upgrade to source.squeak.org but I think the consensus is that it is not ready yet to support all of the Monticello capabilities we currently use, I'm not sure of the details.

Can you collect some details about how the Issue tracking works, for example whether there is support for sending email to a specific email address for every new issue or each time an issue is updated?  Also is it up to handling hundreds or even thousands of issues?

I created an account and considered creating a temporary project for evaluation purposes.  But I'm holding off because I don't want to create such a project and then find that I can't easily delete it and pollute the project list.

Ken

Re: Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Tobias Pape
Am 24.02.2013 um 20:51 schrieb karl ramberg <[hidden email]>:

> I'm no expert on SqueakSource3, maybe there is someone who have deeper knowledge that can share ?

That would be me…

The “Issues” feature of SS3 is a proof-of-concept by Dale
that works quite well but is not as advanced as
say Mantis, Google Code or Github.
  Some students tried enhancing the Issues feature
by auto-close on commit message and so on, but time ran out
for their project. That said,
if you browse http://www.squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html
(Latest, SqueakSource-Issues-topa.17.mcz, Browse code)
you’ll see that the original Issue feature is not too much code.

Give it a shot:

Installer ss
        project: 'MetacelloRepostiory';
        install: 'ConfigurationOfSqueakSource3'.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSqueakSource3) project version: #bleedingEdge) load: #( 'All' )

[This assumes that Seaside can be loaded, which
currently is not the case, actually :/.
The SqueakSource3 code is Squeak-compatible, but

When you have loaded Squeaksource, and a Seaside Adaptor is running,
go to the url /installSS and install a SqueakSource instance
(best with a DictionaryStorage for playing around). Then, add a
user and a test project and be sure to enable the Issues feature
during project creation. Then, start hacking along :)

Best
        -Tobias

PS: Off-topic but IMHO important. I started replying to this email
    7:30 AM and got stuck at the installation instructions and now
    I send this mail at 1 PM;
      I, sadly, have to conclude: Installing a proper development
    image for Seaside on Squeak is still a mess.
      I was the one who provided the Squeak Seaside image for Squeak 4.3
    but currently I see myself completely unable to set up Seaside for
    Squeak 4.4.
    Just some random notes to relieve me:
    • Installing Seaside need Metacello.
    • Then somehow trying to install Seaside: do it wrong and Boom: Zinc is missing
      and completely unavailable for Squeak
    • Bootstrapping metacello needs Omnibrowser basics
    • The Omnibrowser verison for Squeak as in the ConfigurationOfOmnibrowser is
      completely broken. Remember the not working buttons? still there.
    • First installing OmniBrowser via Coiln’s script and then loading anything via
      Metacello that depends on OB: boom
    • First installing Omnibrowser via Metacello, then loading via Colin’s script:
      no boom, but conflicting Classes. need to remove OB-Morphic manually...
    • at _that_ point I gave up.

Re: Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

radoslav hodnicak
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I haven't tried this recently but Lukas' scripts for building images at https://github.com/renggli/builder/tree/master/scripts don't use Metacello and I have used this method to load Seaside in the past (replacing Gofer calls with Installer).

rado

Am 25.02.2013 um 14:26 schrieb radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PS: Off-topic but IMHO important. I started replying to this email
>     7:30 AM and got stuck at the installation instructions and now
>     I send this mail at 1 PM;
>       I, sadly, have to conclude: Installing a proper development
>     image for Seaside on Squeak is still a mess.
>       I was the one who provided the Squeak Seaside image for Squeak 4.3
>     but currently I see myself completely unable to set up Seaside for
>     Squeak 4.4.
>     Just some random notes to relieve me:
>     • Installing Seaside need Metacello.
>     • Then somehow trying to install Seaside: do it wrong and Boom: Zinc is missing
>       and completely unavailable for Squeak
>     • Bootstrapping metacello needs Omnibrowser basics
>     • The Omnibrowser verison for Squeak as in the ConfigurationOfOmnibrowser is
>       completely broken. Remember the not working buttons? still there.
>     • First installing OmniBrowser via Coiln’s script and then loading anything via
>       Metacello that depends on OB: boom
>     • First installing Omnibrowser via Metacello, then loading via Colin’s script:
>       no boom, but conflicting Classes. need to remove OB-Morphic manually...
>     • at _that_ point I gave up.
>
> I haven't tried this recently but Lukas' scripts for building images at https://github.com/renggli/builder/tree/master/scripts don't use Metacello and I have used this method to load Seaside in the past (replacing Gofer calls with Installer).
>
> rado

Well, there is
        https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3-metacello.st
which explicitely _does_ use Metacello and
        https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3.st
which explicitely _does not_ use Metacello.

If you were an “image distributor”, ie, someone who hands images to other developers,
which one would you take? Which resulting image is easier to update? Which script is easier
to maintain? (Sorry the many questions, not meant to be offensive :) )

Best
        -Tobias

On 2013-02-25, at 14:56, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 25.02.2013 um 14:26 schrieb radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> PS: Off-topic but IMHO important. I started replying to this email
>>    7:30 AM and got stuck at the installation instructions and now
>>    I send this mail at 1 PM;
>>      I, sadly, have to conclude: Installing a proper development
>>    image for Seaside on Squeak is still a mess.
>>      I was the one who provided the Squeak Seaside image for Squeak 4.3
>>    but currently I see myself completely unable to set up Seaside for
>>    Squeak 4.4.
>>    Just some random notes to relieve me:
>>    • Installing Seaside need Metacello.
>>    • Then somehow trying to install Seaside: do it wrong and Boom: Zinc is missing
>>      and completely unavailable for Squeak
>>    • Bootstrapping metacello needs Omnibrowser basics
>>    • The Omnibrowser verison for Squeak as in the ConfigurationOfOmnibrowser is
>>      completely broken. Remember the not working buttons? still there.
>>    • First installing OmniBrowser via Coiln’s script and then loading anything via
>>      Metacello that depends on OB: boom
>>    • First installing Omnibrowser via Metacello, then loading via Colin’s script:
>>      no boom, but conflicting Classes. need to remove OB-Morphic manually...
>>    • at _that_ point I gave up.
>>
>> I haven't tried this recently but Lukas' scripts for building images at https://github.com/renggli/builder/tree/master/scripts don't use Metacello and I have used this method to load Seaside in the past (replacing Gofer calls with Installer).
>>
>> rado
>
> Well, there is
> https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3-metacello.st
> which explicitely _does_ use Metacello and
> https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3.st
> which explicitely _does not_ use Metacello.
>
> If you were an “image distributor”, ie, someone who hands images to other developers,
> which one would you take? Which resulting image is easier to update? Which script is easier
> to maintain? (Sorry the many questions, not meant to be offensive :) )
>
> Best
> -Tobias

Well, in the first one the complexity is just hidden, distributed over many packages in various repositories, which seems hard to control for an individual image builder. As you discovered, it drags in many unneeded pieces - Zinc, OB, really? So if you want to build a clean image right now then it seems indeed avoiding Metacello would make your live easier. I don't know how much effort it would take to sanitize all the various configs it loads? Since you gave up after several hours, I guess a lot of effort (although I would be delighted to be proven wrong). But it sounds like it might not have taken you several hours to adapt the second script to your needs.

I do see the chicken-and-egg problem here. Maybe distilling Lukas' script into a squeakmap loader would make it easier to install Seaside, which might in turn get more Squeakers to actively participate in its development, which might lead to properly maintained Metacello configurations. Or, since you mention Metacello bootstrapping problems, do we need to fix Metacello itself first? Depending on a particular browser does not sound right for a package installer.

- Bert -

Re: Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Frank Shearar-3
On 25 February 2013 14:20, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-02-25, at 14:56, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 25.02.2013 um 14:26 schrieb radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> PS: Off-topic but IMHO important. I started replying to this email
>>>    7:30 AM and got stuck at the installation instructions and now
>>>    I send this mail at 1 PM;
>>>      I, sadly, have to conclude: Installing a proper development
>>>    image for Seaside on Squeak is still a mess.
>>>      I was the one who provided the Squeak Seaside image for Squeak 4.3
>>>    but currently I see myself completely unable to set up Seaside for
>>>    Squeak 4.4.
>>>    Just some random notes to relieve me:
>>>    • Installing Seaside need Metacello.
>>>    • Then somehow trying to install Seaside: do it wrong and Boom: Zinc is missing
>>>      and completely unavailable for Squeak
>>>    • Bootstrapping metacello needs Omnibrowser basics
>>>    • The Omnibrowser verison for Squeak as in the ConfigurationOfOmnibrowser is
>>>      completely broken. Remember the not working buttons? still there.
>>>    • First installing OmniBrowser via Coiln’s script and then loading anything via
>>>      Metacello that depends on OB: boom
>>>    • First installing Omnibrowser via Metacello, then loading via Colin’s script:
>>>      no boom, but conflicting Classes. need to remove OB-Morphic manually...
>>>    • at _that_ point I gave up.
>>>
>>> I haven't tried this recently but Lukas' scripts for building images at https://github.com/renggli/builder/tree/master/scripts don't use Metacello and I have used this method to load Seaside in the past (replacing Gofer calls with Installer).
>>>
>>> rado
>>
>> Well, there is
>>       https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3-metacello.st
>> which explicitely _does_ use Metacello and
>>       https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3.st
>> which explicitely _does not_ use Metacello.
>>
>> If you were an “image distributor”, ie, someone who hands images to other developers,
>> which one would you take? Which resulting image is easier to update? Which script is easier
>> to maintain? (Sorry the many questions, not meant to be offensive :) )
>>
>> Best
>>       -Tobias
>

> Well, in the first one the complexity is just hidden, distributed over many packages in various repositories, which seems hard to control for an individual image builder. As you discovered, it drags in many unneeded pieces - Zinc, OB, really? So if you want to build a clean image right now then it seems indeed avoiding Metacello would make your live easier. I don't know how much effort it would take to sanitize all the various configs it loads? Since you gave up after several hours, I guess a lot of effort (although I would be delighted to be proven wrong). But it sounds like it might not have taken you several hours to adapt the second script to your needs.

Don't forget that Metacello is expressly designed to work _across
platforms_. If all you care about is only one of Pharo, or Squeak, or
Gemstone, or VW, then Metacello is overkill. However, if you try adapt
your script to support all of these, you'll have just reinvented
Metacello.

Metacello _does_ have issues, but "hiding complexity" is not one of them.

> I do see the chicken-and-egg problem here. Maybe distilling Lukas' script into a squeakmap loader would make it easier to install Seaside, which might in turn get more Squeakers to actively participate in its development, which might lead to properly maintained Metacello configurations. Or, since you mention Metacello bootstrapping problems, do we need to fix Metacello itself first? Depending on a particular browser does not sound right for a package installer.

Metacello doesn't depend on OmniBrowser. (It does depend on Gofer, but
otherwise it's just Collections, Compiler, Compression, Exceptions,
Files, HelpSystem-Core, Kernel, Monticello, PackageInfo-Base, SUnit
and System.).

What usually happens is that some particular package depends on OB
(for instance, Helvetia uses OBMorphicIcons), which is not Metacello's
fault at all.

frank

Am 25.02.2013 um 15:20 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> On 2013-02-25, at 14:56, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 25.02.2013 um 14:26 schrieb radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> PS: Off-topic but IMHO important. I started replying to this email
>>>   7:30 AM and got stuck at the installation instructions and now
>>>   I send this mail at 1 PM;
>>>     I, sadly, have to conclude: Installing a proper development
>>>   image for Seaside on Squeak is still a mess.
>>>     I was the one who provided the Squeak Seaside image for Squeak 4.3
>>>   but currently I see myself completely unable to set up Seaside for
>>>   Squeak 4.4.
>>>   Just some random notes to relieve me:
>>>   • Installing Seaside need Metacello.
>>>   • Then somehow trying to install Seaside: do it wrong and Boom: Zinc is missing
>>>     and completely unavailable for Squeak
>>>   • Bootstrapping metacello needs Omnibrowser basics
>>>   • The Omnibrowser verison for Squeak as in the ConfigurationOfOmnibrowser is
>>>     completely broken. Remember the not working buttons? still there.
>>>   • First installing OmniBrowser via Coiln’s script and then loading anything via
>>>     Metacello that depends on OB: boom
>>>   • First installing Omnibrowser via Metacello, then loading via Colin’s script:
>>>     no boom, but conflicting Classes. need to remove OB-Morphic manually...
>>>   • at _that_ point I gave up.
>>>
>>> I haven't tried this recently but Lukas' scripts for building images at https://github.com/renggli/builder/tree/master/scripts don't use Metacello and I have used this method to load Seaside in the past (replacing Gofer calls with Installer).
>>>
>>> rado
>>
>> Well, there is
>> https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3-metacello.st
>> which explicitely _does_ use Metacello and
>> https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside3.st
>> which explicitely _does not_ use Metacello.
>>
>> If you were an “image distributor”, ie, someone who hands images to other developers,
>> which one would you take? Which resulting image is easier to update? Which script is easier
>> to maintain? (Sorry the many questions, not meant to be offensive :) )
>>
>> Best
>> -Tobias
>

> Well, in the first one the complexity is just hidden, distributed over many packages in various repositories, which seems hard to control for an individual image builder. As you discovered, it drags in many unneeded pieces - Zinc, OB, really?

Stop. It drags OB for the _developer_ image, which is consistent, IMHO.
Why it did pull Zinc on the first try, I don't know.
Later, It pulled Kom instead of Zinc.

> So if you want to build a clean image right now then it seems indeed avoiding Metacello would make your live easier. I don't know how much effort it would take to sanitize all the various configs it loads? Since you gave up after several hours, I guess a lot of effort (although I would be delighted to be proven wrong). But it sounds like it might not have taken you several hours to adapt the second script to your needs.

No. It was not the problem of Metacello in that case but that there are conflicting
methods of loading Omnibrowser floating around. I _wanted_ OB in the Image I tried
to produce. It is, eg, necessary for the Seaside Control Panel.

> I do see the chicken-and-egg problem here. Maybe distilling Lukas' script into a squeakmap loader would make it easier to install Seaside, which might in turn get more Squeakers to actively participate in its development, which might lead to properly maintained Metacello configurations.

The paths sounds interesting. But, I think, this is the path required for Omnibrowser, not for
Seaside. Once OB is pulling in fine, Seaside-Development is a no-brainer.

Issuing
        Installer ss
                project: 'MetacelloRepository';
                install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
        ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project version: #stable) load: #( Base )
works fine and produces a nice Seaside image _without_ developer tools (ie, no
Seaside Control Panel, no pre-selected Adaptor)

However, when you try to load the Development branch, it depends on Omnibrowser.
And that thing is broken XD

Probably I just should invest the time and Fix the Omnibrowser Metacelllo package, hoping that this is
the root cause.
Expect me in a few hours.

> Or, since you mention Metacello bootstrapping problems, do we need to fix Metacello itself first? Depending on a particular browser does not sound right for a package installer.

Again, it is not a Metacello bootstrapping problem but an Omnibrowser bootstrapping problem.

Best
        -Tobias

(DISCLAIMER: don't take me too serious today, I'm a bit pissed, but I will be ok tomorrow ;) )

Re: Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Chris Muller-3
> [This assumes that Seaside can be loaded, which
> currently is not the case, actually :/.

I have a configuration of Seaside 3.0 or 3.1 (can't remember) which
loads fine in a 4.4 image as well as trunk and does NOT require OB or
Metacello.  I'll see about making a catalog entry..

Ok, since my version is a bit old I'll hold off for you.  Thanks Tobias.

Am 25.02.2013 um 21:48 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

>> Probably I just should invest the time and Fix the Omnibrowser Metacelllo package, hoping that this is
>> the root cause.
>> Expect me in a few hours.
>
> Ok, since my version is a bit old I'll hold off for you.  Thanks Tobias.

OB works again, Seaside not yet (see my other mails).
Shall I provide an image to you for download?

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Göran Krampe
Hey guys!

On 02/23/2013 11:52 PM, Ken Causey wrote:

> Frankly I think this is a very good time, certainly as good as any, to
> reconsider how we track issues.  It's all going to have to be setup
> again from scratch soon anyway.
>
> I've personally always felt that that something integrated into Squeak
> itself (well, an installable package anyway) is the way for us to go,
> something customized to how we are accustomed to working and probably
> hooking into Monticello.  But making any such thing will be a lot of
> work and someone has to step up to do it and take the risk that the
> community will not find the result actually usable/acceptable.

Just as a ... well, "data point":

At 3DICC we fairly recently took charge of this and I scanned the market
a bit looking at Trac and a few others, even tried installing Trac
(liked their idea of marrying a wiki with issue tracker) but that was a
PITA.

Then I tried Redmine - which basically is a reimplementation of similar
ideas but in Rails, and wow, that was very simple to get set up and it
does AFAICT everything you want and is quite easy to customize - just by
clicking around in the admin UIs.

It has integrated wiki blabla, and also support for SVN/git etc, and I
wouldn't be surprised if you fairly easily could do a commit hook at
least for MC. Granted the first time I saw their website I didn't think
it looked that nice, kinda boring - but if you start clicking around you
quickly realize it is neat! Also very "REST"-ful, you know with nice
URLs pointing to issues, the form for creating new issues blabla...

We are really satisfied at least. :)

regards, Göran

12