Mantis usage rules du jour

12

Mantis usage rules du jour

timrowledge
I'm submitting a bug fix and thought I'd ask what the current favoured procedure is. Simply submitting is as irritating as it ever was in Mantis, but once I've done that, uploaded my fix and made a note about it… what do we do next?

To whom might I assign it for action in getting into the image for the next release? Or is that done some other way now? Is there documentation on the current process that I failed to spot?

tim
Strange OpCodes: XO: Execute Operator

Re: Mantis usage rules du jour

Frank Shearar-3
On 22 February 2013 22:27, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm submitting a bug fix and thought I'd ask what the current favoured procedure is. Simply submitting is as irritating as it ever was in Mantis, but once I've done that, uploaded my fix and made a note about it… what do we do next?
>
> To whom might I assign it for action in getting into the image for the next release? Or is that done some other way now? Is there documentation on the current process that I failed to spot?

Mostly we do the wrong thing, which is commit directly to trunk or,
slightly less wrong, commit an mcz to the Inbox (MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://source.squeak.org/inbox' user: '' password: '').

So _I_ favour a bug report to Mantis
(http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7740 right?), and if it's small,
just commit it to trunk and record that in the tracker. (I find it
really, really useful to see the audit trail in Mantis. It might be
seriously ugly, but it beats an inbox every day.)

Ideally, there's a test accompanying the fix :) but Squeak has some
serious legacy stuff, and a test's infeasible.

frank

Re: Mantis usage rules du jour

Colin Putney-3

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Mostly we do the wrong thing, which is commit directly to trunk or,
slightly less wrong, commit an mcz to the Inbox (MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://source.squeak.org/inbox' user: '' password: '').

So _I_ favour a bug report to Mantis
(http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7740 right?), and if it's small,
just commit it to trunk and record that in the tracker. (I find it
really, really useful to see the audit trail in Mantis. It might be
seriously ugly, but it beats an inbox every day.)

The Inbox is meant for changes that need review—either contributions from developers without direct access to the trunk, or from core developers that would like a second set of eyes on the code before it goes into trunk. So, sure, a Mantis entry is great, but core developers putting stuff in the Inbox ought to be fairly rare. The idea is to keep it easy to contribute, with minimal ceremony.

Colin

Casey Ransberger

RE: Mantis usage rules du jour

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi all,

I hope the reports of Mantis’s demise are premature.  There should be a reporting mechanism but I agree it’s difficult if there is no process around the bug tracking or actual owners.  We used to have specific owners for portions of the code.  Back to Tim’s question, what should the process be?  Do we need to have new owners again?  Should mantis email squeak-dev?  Should mantis email component owners?  Do we need new owners?

I know that when I first got involved with Squeak, Mantis was the perfect way to get involved.  I would place a bug or submit something and Andreas or some other component owner would comment back.  There were some really great bug conversations or code contribution ideas that went on in Mantis.  I suppose that only works if people that are responsible for portions of the code interact when something is posted.  If nobody reads it then it’s just a black hole and can be very frustrating.

While conversations about specific topics can happen on Squeak-Dev, it’s just not the same as having the context and decisions documented somewhere specific like Mantis.

I may have missed some other comments related to bug reporting so please excuse me if I’m coming to this conversation late.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On 22-02-2013, at 8:50 PM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Inbox is meant for changes that need review—either contributions from developers without direct access to the trunk, or from core developers that would like a second set of eyes on the code before it goes into trunk.

I really wish we had enough available eyeballs to review everything. I suggest that the most careful review is required for the sort of changes that 'core developers' produce. If nothing else it is a way to reduce the truck-factor and make sure that things are explained well enough for someone not heavily involved in the original work to be able to understand what is being done.

> So, sure, a Mantis entry is great, but core developers putting stuff in the Inbox ought to be fairly rare. The idea is to keep it easy to contribute, with minimal ceremony.

No ceremony at all worries me. Call me Captain Slow (cf James May) but I like procedures. They're recipes for maintaining sanity over time.

tim
Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

No ceremony at all worries me. Call me Captain Slow (cf James May) but I like procedures. They're recipes for maintaining sanity over time.

Well, it's not quite "no ceremony," we're aiming for "no more ceremony than necessary." Here's the description of the way it's supposed to work now:

The development of Squeak 3.11 basically ground to halt because of excessive procedure, and this new model was an attempt to resuscitate it. It worked!

It's possible that we have swung too far in the other direction, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think so. Are there specific problems you want to solve, or is it more of a general unease at the loosey-goosey-free-for-all?

Colin

Re: Mantis usage rules du jour

Karl Ramberg
I would like a bug tool integrated into Squeak and per Monticello package.
Could we use Monticello somehow to to report and track bugs ?

Karl

On 23 February 2013 06:12, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22-02-2013, at 8:50 PM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The Inbox is meant for changes that need review—either contributions from developers without direct access to the trunk, or from core developers that would like a second set of eyes on the code before it goes into trunk.
>
> I really wish we had enough available eyeballs to review everything. I suggest that the most careful review is required for the sort of changes that 'core developers' produce. If nothing else it is a way to reduce the truck-factor and make sure that things are explained well enough for someone not heavily involved in the original work to be able to understand what is being done.

Fortunately, every commit to Trunk results in a diff being posted
here, so hopefully people do actually read them and post-fact review
them. A few months ago someone did actually have to revert their
changes.

>> So, sure, a Mantis entry is great, but core developers putting stuff in the Inbox ought to be fairly rare. The idea is to keep it easy to contribute, with minimal ceremony.
>
> No ceremony at all worries me. Call me Captain Slow (cf James May) but I like procedures. They're recipes for maintaining sanity over time.

Given that I'm crotchety, in an ideal world we'd _never_ merge
_anything_ without tests covering the proposed change, the tests and
feature in a topic branch, and the branch has zero chance of being
merged unless the thing you get by merging the topic branch into
master passes all tests. Oh, and of course that necessitates a bug
report off which to hang the topic branch. (This is actually how most
of my work work gets done. It's really, reallly nice for all
concerned, and github makes it not even onerous. No, correction.
Github makes it _fun_ to review other's code this way.) But we're not
in an ideal world. One step at a time.

I am a huge fan of bugtrackers and, while Mantis looks like a
throwback to the 90s, it works solidly and quietly, and I intend to
annoy folks by asking them to post to Mantis!

frank

> tim
> Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?

Re: Mantis usage rules du jour

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:33:14AM -0800, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > No ceremony at all worries me. Call me Captain Slow (cf James May) but I
> > like procedures. They're recipes for maintaining sanity over time.
> >

> Well, it's not quite "no ceremony," we're aiming for "no more ceremony than
> necessary." Here's the description of the way it's supposed to work now:
>
> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

This is really a key point. It did not seem like a big thing at the time,
but with the benefit of hindsight I now think of the Andreas' community
development model as perhaps his most important contribution to Squeak.
I go back and reread his posting from time to time, along with the back
to the future paper (http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html) just
to remind myself of the basics.

That said, I think that Mantis also plays an important role. Basically it
is there for issues that cannot be quickly resolved on the mailing list,
or that require some longer term collective memory for the community.

I honestly thought our Mantis system had pretty well died off a few years
ago, but I kept on using it to record various VMMaker issues that could
not be immediately resolved. There are issues like this that for various
reasons may require years to bring to conclusion, and it is also helpful
to have a record of those issues beyond what is found in email postings
and Monticello commit comments.

A good example of such an issue that was just recently updated is this one:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6828

And an even better example is this one, which was not very important
at the time the issue was logged, but which will be very important
a few years later as the various VMs move to 64-bit platforms:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7237

> The development of Squeak 3.11 basically ground to halt because of
> excessive procedure, and this new model was an attempt to resuscitate it.
> It worked!

I agree, and I strongly urge a balanced approach. Use Mantis where it
makes sense, but don't waste time on procedure for the sake of procedure.

Dave

> It's possible that we have swung too far in the other direction, but I
> haven't seen anything that makes me think so. Are there specific problems
> you want to solve, or is it more of a general unease at the
> loosey-goosey-free-for-all?

Re: Mantis usage rules du jour

Bert Freudenberg

On 23.02.2013, at 15:14, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:33:14AM -0800, Colin Putney wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> No ceremony at all worries me. Call me Captain Slow (cf James May) but I
>>> like procedures. They're recipes for maintaining sanity over time.
>>>

>> Well, it's not quite "no ceremony," we're aiming for "no more ceremony than
>> necessary." Here's the description of the way it's supposed to work now:
>>
>> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/
>
> This is really a key point. It did not seem like a big thing at the time,
> but with the benefit of hindsight I now think of the Andreas' community
> development model as perhaps his most important contribution to Squeak.
> I go back and reread his posting from time to time, along with the back
> to the future paper (http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html) just
> to remind myself of the basics.

+1

> That said, I think that Mantis also plays an important role. Basically it
> is there for issues that cannot be quickly resolved on the mailing list,
> or that require some longer term collective memory for the community.
>
> I honestly thought our Mantis system had pretty well died off a few years
> ago, but I kept on using it to record various VMMaker issues that could
> not be immediately resolved. There are issues like this that for various
> reasons may require years to bring to conclusion, and it is also helpful
> to have a record of those issues beyond what is found in email postings
> and Monticello commit comments.
>
> A good example of such an issue that was just recently updated is this one:
>
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6828
>
> And an even better example is this one, which was not very important
> at the time the issue was logged, but which will be very important
> a few years later as the various VMs move to 64-bit platforms:
>
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7237

Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev. Thoughts?

- Bert -

On 23 Feb 2013, at 15:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23.02.2013, at 15:14, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, it's not quite "no ceremony," we're aiming for "no more ceremony than
>>> necessary." Here's the description of the way it's supposed to work now:
>>>
>>> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/
>>
>> This is really a key point. It did not seem like a big thing at the time,
>> but with the benefit of hindsight I now think of the Andreas' community
>> development model as perhaps his most important contribution to Squeak.
>> I go back and reread his posting from time to time, along with the back
>> to the future paper (http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html) just
>> to remind myself of the basics.
>
> +1
>
>> That said, I think that Mantis also plays an important role. Basically it
>> is there for issues that cannot be quickly resolved on the mailing list,
>> or that require some longer term collective memory for the community.
>>
>> I honestly thought our Mantis system had pretty well died off a few years
>> ago, but I kept on using it to record various VMMaker issues that could
>> not be immediately resolved. There are issues like this that for various
>> reasons may require years to bring to conclusion, and it is also helpful
>> to have a record of those issues beyond what is found in email postings
>> and Monticello commit comments.
>>
>> A good example of such an issue that was just recently updated is this one:
>>
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6828
>>
>> And an even better example is this one, which was not very important
>> at the time the issue was logged, but which will be very important
>> a few years later as the various VMs move to 64-bit platforms:
>>
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7237
>

> Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev. Thoughts?

The reason it doesn't already do this is just that I didn't want to annoy everyone. I think it's a great idea. What granularity ought to apply? Mails on new issues? State changes (to see when something's resolved)?

frank

> - Bert -

RE: Mantis usage rules du jour

Ron Teitelbaum

I think it would make sense to send everything but with a [Mantis] tag in
the subject, that way someone could easily filter the emails if they wanted
to.  There were some conversations that I had that would have benefited from
being on squeak-dev.  We don't want to encourage everyone to join the
conversation on mantis, but having side conversations on what is best on
squeak-dev would be good.

Ron

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 04:09:04PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2013, at 15:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev. Thoughts?
>
> The reason it doesn't already do this is just that I didn't want to annoy everyone. I think it's a great idea. What granularity ought to apply? Mails on new issues? State changes (to see when something's resolved)?

I think it's a great idea too. At the current rate of Mantis updates, I
would say that all changes on Mantis could be sent to squeak-dev without
any problem. Of course that might cause people to start updating Mantis
more often, at which point we might want to turn down the noise.

One other point to mention - Mantis is for tracking issues, not for debate
and discussion. So if a Mantis update appears here on squeak-dev, use the
squeak-dev list for discussion of the issue, and update Mantis only when
there is new information or status to report.

Dave

Re: Mantis usage rules du jour

Stéphane Rollandin
>> Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev.
>> Thoughts?
>
> I think it would make sense to send everything but with a [Mantis] tag in
> the subject, that way someone could easily filter the emails if they wanted
> to.  There were some conversations that I had that would have benefited from
> being on squeak-dev.  We don't want to encourage everyone to join the
> conversation on mantis, but having side conversations on what is best on
> squeak-dev would be good.

+1

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev. Thoughts?

The reason it doesn't already do this is just that I didn't want to annoy everyone. I think it's a great idea. What granularity ought to apply? Mails on new issues? State changes (to see when something's resolved)?

Yeah, great idea. I'd say send messages for both, with a [Bugs] tag for easy filtering.

Colin

On 23.02.2013, at 19:02, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev. Thoughts?
>>
>> The reason it doesn't already do this is just that I didn't want to annoy everyone. I think it's a great idea. What granularity ought to apply? Mails on new issues? State changes (to see when something's resolved)?
>>
>> Yeah, great idea. I'd say send messages for both, with a [Bugs] tag for easy filtering.
>
> Colin

+1 for [Bugs] because short.

- Bert -

Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Ken Causey-3
On 02/23/2013 10:09 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2013, at 15:47, Bert Freudenberg<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Mantis might appear less dead if reports/changes got posted to squeak-dev. Thoughts?
>
> The reason it doesn't already do this is just that I didn't want to annoy everyone. I think it's a great idea. What granularity ought to apply? Mails on new issues? State changes (to see when something's resolved)?

Actually, there is no easy way to do this with Mantis.  I've just spent
some time looking into it and there is no official support for sending
email to a specific email address every time a new issue is created or
any activity occurs on an issue.  It's not impossible to implement; it
can be done by writing a custom hook.  But this is not an ideal solution
because you have to take care to ensure the custom hooks are reinstalled
every time you update Mantis and on occasion the hook may be broken due
to changes in Mantis.  Also, clearly the community has never been
entirely comfortable with Mantis.

Frankly I think this is a very good time, certainly as good as any, to
reconsider how we track issues.  It's all going to have to be setup
again from scratch soon anyway.

I've personally always felt that that something integrated into Squeak
itself (well, an installable package anyway) is the way for us to go,
something customized to how we are accustomed to working and probably
hooking into Monticello.  But making any such thing will be a lot of
work and someone has to step up to do it and take the risk that the
community will not find the result actually usable/acceptable.

One other choice I think is worth some consideration is to 'out-source'
our bug tracking.  This is not without potential problems.  But I
noticed that Eliot is using code.google.com for Cog and a quick look at
the documentation (and the fact that emails are appearing on vm-dev)
suggests that this one feature, sending notices to a given address for
every issue, is supported by Google Code.

Ken

On 02/23/2013 05:15 PM, karl ramberg wrote:
> I see SqueakSource3 has a Issues category per package.
>
> For example:
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/dgg.html/Issues
>
> Karl

Nice, thanks for pointing that out.  There has been some discussion of
setting up a SqueakSource3 instance as an upgrade to source.squeak.org
but I think the consensus is that it is not ready yet to support all of
the Monticello capabilities we currently use, I'm not sure of the details.

Can you collect some details about how the Issue tracking works, for
example whether there is support for sending email to a specific email
address for every new issue or each time an issue is updated?  Also is
it up to handling hundreds or even thousands of issues?

I created an account and considered creating a temporary project for
evaluation purposes.  But I'm holding off because I don't want to create
such a project and then find that I can't easily delete it and pollute
the project list.

Ken

12