Manuscript (Case [Issue]22189) UI - Display of fonts in packages pane of System Browser is still broken two years later.

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Manuscript (Case [Issue]22189) UI - Display of fonts in packages pane of System Browser is still broken two years later.

Pharo Issue Tracker
Manuscript Notification
Bug in Project:  UI: 1. Pharo Image  •  You are subscribed to this case
Yes, I recently tried Pharo 7, and its Settings Browser works correctly. I chose Pharo 6.1 first because it was the last **official** released version, which would be the best choice for moving over about a quarter century of one's work. I love the new stuff, but it's not my first choice when I need stability. What should I be doing in order to get maximum functionality in order to try my move again and succeed this time (5th or 6th failed try in the last decade)? Pharo 7 is beta, isn't it? Can you tell me what features in Pharo 7 are problematic or broken?

Using the Playground is awkward. When I Ctrl-P an evaluable, I get a yellow selected result that is not really there in the pane. You can't move off the yellow selection and have it become unselected and remain, as expected. It disappears. That's not **least astonishing.** Clearly I don't understand the Playground Print It protocol. Or there is a setting somewhere that makes it work in a more conventional way.

Getting up to speed is awkward because there is way too much material to read. Which of the available Pharo books is the most up to date and best for learning how to use the **tools**? I have about 6 panes open on Pharo. I suggest that, going forward, we limit what a new user can read, even if he is a Smalltalker moving from another system like VW. We need to know only a few things in a certain order to get going and be productive. Too many choices create doubt about which is the best and most up to date. That slows the new guy. I don't want to read about Pharo. The documents and sites on Pharo are generally very interesting and well done--but I don't want to read about Pharo; I want to **use** it. I'd prefer to stay in the image to get my introductions on how to use all the tools. It can't be hard. Is that possible yet, or must I seek external sources? Do we have in-built HTML panes in Pharo 7, so that we can embed a slick document? I'm talking tools here, not Smalltalk mechanics, obviously. ProfSteph is great, but I'm thinking about an induction tool that focuses exclusively on the Pharo tools.
Priority Priority: 5 – Fix If Time Status Status: Work Needed
Assigned To Assigned to: Everyone Milestone Milestone: Later

Go to Case
No longer need updates? Unsubscribe from this case.

Don't want Manuscript notifications anymore? Update your preferences.

Manuscript