Manuscript (Case [Issue]22671) _Inbox - IdentitySet>>asSet returns an IdentitySet instance instead of Set

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Manuscript (Case [Issue]22671) _Inbox - IdentitySet>>asSet returns an IdentitySet instance instead of Set

Pharo Issue Tracker
Manuscript Notification
Bug in Project:  _Inbox: Not Spam  •  You are subscribed to this case
The copy guarantee isn't a big issue, especially if people are generally aware that conversions don't always guarantee a copy.

In my opinion the relationship between strings and wide strings isn't the same as between sets and identity sets.
In the former case String and WideString are basically providing the same semantically compatible behavior: they are 2 different classes just to provide more efficient internal behavior depending on the elements(characters) they are holding.
Sets and identity sets have least one explicit semantic difference: discriminating against equality or identity. So in the latter case if a method named #asSet it simply makes sense to me to expect it to return an instance of Set.

Yes, probably it would make more sense for Set and IdentitySet to share a common ancestry instead of having one being the superclass of the other. I have to do some thinking about it.

Federico
Priority Priority: 5 – Fix If Time Status Status: Work Needed
Assigned To Assigned to: Everyone Milestone Milestone: Pharo7.0

Go to Case
No longer need updates? Unsubscribe from this case.

Don't want Manuscript notifications anymore? Update your preferences.

Manuscript