Marketing: default CSS?

Cees De Groot
I was discussing Seaside with a customer. The guy came up with the, I
think, good tip that it would be worthwhile to work a bit on the
out-of-the-box experience. Default Seaside sites are ugly, and only a
light bit of css would help a lot (sans-serif font, sensible values
for h1, h2, ..., maybe a bit of background color on h1 - stuff like
that). As an added benefit, default sites would be "branded" -
recognizable as Seaside sites.

I'm not entirely sure how this could be best done. The main issue is
of course that someone should be able to remove this CSS in a very
easy way..

Re: Marketing: default CSS?

William Harford

On 18-Jan-06, at 1:04 PM, Cees De Groot wrote:

> I was discussing Seaside with a customer. The guy came up with the, I
> think, good tip that it would be worthwhile to work a bit on the
> out-of-the-box experience. Default Seaside sites are ugly, and only a
> light bit of css would help a lot (sans-serif font, sensible values
> for h1, h2, ..., maybe a bit of background color on h1 - stuff like
> that). As an added benefit, default sites would be "branded" -
> recognizable as Seaside sites.

I second this.

> I'm not entirely sure how this could be best done. The main issue is
> of course that someone should be able to remove this CSS in a very
> easy way..

There could be another standard style library added to Seaside and it
could be included by default when you create a new seaside application.

Our company has it's own default style library that is added to every
seaside application.

Re: Marketing: default CSS?

Rick Zaccone
The article "The Importance of Being Pretty" <http://www.wired.com/
news/technology/0,70037-0.html> seems relevant to this discussion.

Rick

Re: Marketing: default CSS?

Jeremy Shute
To distill the content of this article to one sentence (so you don't have
to click on the broken link to read the old news dressed up in new
pseudoscience):

"In [...] one-twentieth of a second [...] people make aesthetic judgments
[...]"

That's about one frame of television.  Ever catch a meme about subliminal
messaging being slipped into your movies, like roofies?  Same idea.

People cannot REACT in one twentieth of a second -- this is why drag race
"Christmas trees" have yellow lights, to allow anticipation.  The RESULT
is what I care about (does the user reach for the back button?), and
that's not what's being measured here...

Jeremy

> The article "The Importance of Being Pretty" <http://www.wired.com/
> news/technology/0,70037-0.html> seems relevant to this discussion.
>
> Rick

GPG PUBLIC KEY: 0xA2B36CE5