classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Marking the Squeak 5.1 release

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi All, Hi Fabio,

if one looks at the Releases tab on https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm it says there is only one release, the r3732 release from August when we moved to github.  Can we mark the 5.1 release as a second release?  How is this done?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Marking the Squeak 5.1 release

fniephaus

Hi Eliot,
I am currently traveling, but I'm happy to take care of this next week.
The procedure is really simple: basically you need to create a Git tag [1] which you can then turn into a GitHub release, or you can just do all of this in one step using GitHub's UI (see [2]).

Best,
Fabio

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 11:38 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All, Hi Fabio,

if one looks at the Releases tab on https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm it says there is only one release, the r3732 release from August when we moved to github.  Can we mark the 5.1 release as a second release?  How is this done?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

Hi Eliot,

I've created a GitHub release for 201608171728 (see [1]) which is
considered to be stable. Feel free to add a changelog if you have some
time. You can find all commits after r3732 at [2].
Is there any particular milestone for the next release?

Best,
Fabio

--

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:16 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,
The procedure is really simple: basically you need to create a Git tag [1] which you can then turn into a GitHub release, or you can just do all of this in one step using GitHub's UI (see [2]).

Best,
Fabio

Hi All, Hi Fabio,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Fabio,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

Thanks, will do.

Looking through my emails I see the following for Squeak 6.0:

"For 6.0 I'm hoping we will do

- the Sista bytecode set (with backwards compatibility support for the existing set).  This gives us 32k literals,
- FullBlockClosure, which means I depended method objects for blocks, and hence (slightly) faster block activation
- read-only objects and hence read-only literals

These three provide the necessary support for the image-level Scorch adaptive optimiser.  This will be demonstrated at ESUG in Prague and productized by next year"

Clément and I have already put the byte code set and full block support into the latest 32-bit Spur VM source.  I should remember to put these into the 64-bit ones too.  I think Clément has added read-only-object support to the Pharo VM.  The Squeak VM will follow soon.

So yes, these three, Sista Bytecode Set as secondary byte code set, FullBlockClosure support and read-only-object support are the major items for the next release.

cheers,
Eliot

--

Hi Eliot,

Best,
Fabio

Hi All, Hi Fabio,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Clément Béra

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Fabio,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

Thanks, will do.

Looking through my emails I see the following for Squeak 6.0:

"For 6.0 I'm hoping we will do

- the Sista bytecode set (with backwards compatibility support for the existing set).  This gives us 32k literals,
- FullBlockClosure, which means I depended method objects for blocks, and hence (slightly) faster block activation
- read-only objects and hence read-only literals

These three provide the necessary support for the image-level Scorch adaptive optimiser.  This will be demonstrated at ESUG in Prague and productized by next year"

Clément and I have already put the byte code set and full block support into the latest 32-bit Spur VM source.  I should remember to put these into the 64-bit ones too.  I think Clément has added read-only-object support to the Pharo VM.  The Squeak VM will follow soon.

So yes, these three, Sista Bytecode Set as secondary byte code set, FullBlockClosure support and read-only-object support are the major items for the next release.

Hi...

Some details.

I have integrated these 3 features, at the exception of the read-only literals, in the Pharo image. I need to check to make sure all the features are enabled in the Pharo VM.

For read-only objects I have some SUnit tests proving that it works, but it needs further testing. The next step is read-only literals, which leads to the question, will compiled method and compiled block be read-only ? I think they should.

For FullBlockClosure and the new bytecode set, I have been using them for weeks without any issues. I implemented the FullBlockClosure support in the Opal compiler, one needs to implement something similar in the Squeak Compiler. It may require some change in the debuggerMethodMap. If one is willing to do so, he may want to contact me as there as a couple details that may be useful to be time-efficient.

These features are important for the Sista architecture. I don't need to load any more dependencies in the Pharo image to have the sista framework running, though the latest SistaVM is broken *again* (Something related to mustBeBoolean, it could be mcpc to bcpc mapping). 

This semester I teach a lot and I write my phd, but I try to make progress on the sista every week. Once all the benchmarks from my suite are running without crashes nor slow-down with the latest Sista VM I will do another call for contributors and make an open beta. This will happen before Christmas. 

cheers,
Eliot

--

Hi Eliot,

Best,
Fabio

Hi All, Hi Fabio,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot