Massive update ...

James Ladd
Hi Redliners,

I have just merged a large set of changes into the master repo.
These changes include a massive refactoring where a large % of code
was deleted and what remained
was cleaned up to make it simpler to understand and work with.

The full Smalltalk Test Suite that was there on the previous master
branch runs without error.

We still need people willing to adopt a Smalltalk class to help get
the Runtime finished. Any
volunteers?

There are a few primitives that remain to be implemented as they are
used, however what is emerging
is a compiler that is almost ready to use. I'm going to use it myself
to get stout and stir working.

Oh - and the new compiler should be faster - although that isn't a
major goal right now.

Rgs, James.

Re: Massive update ...

Sebastian Nozzi-2
Hi!

Great to hear that the project is still active!

We still need people willing to adopt a Smalltalk class to help get
the Runtime finished. Any volunteers?

I would like to help. What is it about? Where can I find about classes to be adopted?

What knowledge do I need to have?

I have no deep knowledge about compiler development. I am a Java back-end developer (the usual stuff: Spring, JPA, etc.) with some Smalltalk experience.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Re: Massive update ...

Stefan Krecher

Hi,
one important skill is the usage of git - i'm still struggling with git+eclipse. Does anyone have experience with Java+git+eclipse? I still have problems with whitespaces etc.
Regards,
Stefan

--
sent from my android-phone

Am 23.04.2012 21:16 schrieb "Sebastian Nozzi" <[hidden email]>:
Hi!

Great to hear that the project is still active!

We still need people willing to adopt a Smalltalk class to help get
the Runtime finished. Any volunteers?

I would like to help. What is it about? Where can I find about classes to be adopted?

What knowledge do I need to have?

I have no deep knowledge about compiler development. I am a Java back-end developer (the usual stuff: Spring, JPA, etc.) with some Smalltalk experience.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Re: Massive update ...

Steven! Ragnarök
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:16:16PM -0700, Sebastian Nozzi wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Great to hear that the project is still active!
>
> We still need people willing to adopt a Smalltalk class to help get
> > the Runtime finished. Any volunteers?
> >

> I would like to help. What is it about? Where can I find about classes to
> be adopted?
>
> What knowledge do I need to have?
>
> I have no deep knowledge about compiler development. I am a Java back-end
> developer (the usual stuff: Spring, JPA, etc.) with some Smalltalk
> experience.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian

Sebastian,

The instructions for how to adopt a class are on the Redline blog
[here](http://www.redline.st/blog/2011/12/22/adopt-a-class.html).

That article includes links to the Getting Started with Redline article
which walks you through Hello World and the development prerequisites.
It also includes a link to the Smalltalk bluebook, which is the freely
available standard reference.

If you need a Smalltalk refresher I'd recommend
http://amber-lang.net/learn or grabbing Pharo Smalltalk, both of which
include the ProfStef smalltalk introduction.

Everything you need to get going should be in that article. If not, then
you've already found the right place to ask questions!

P.S. I am new to Smalltalk but still confident enough that with time and
effort will be able to get te Set class up and running. It has been a
slow but fun and valuable learning experience.

Best of luck and happy hacking.

Steven!
nuclearsandwich

Re: Massive update ...

Steven! Ragnarök
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:22:21PM +0200, Stefan Krecher wrote:

> Hi,
> one important skill is the usage of git - i'm still struggling with
> git+eclipse. Does anyone have experience with Java+git+eclipse? I still
> have problems with whitespaces etc.
> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> --
> sent from my android-phone
> Am 23.04.2012 21:16 schrieb "Sebastian Nozzi" <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Great to hear that the project is still active!
> >
> > We still need people willing to adopt a Smalltalk class to help get
> >> the Runtime finished. Any volunteers?
> >>

> > I would like to help. What is it about? Where can I find about classes to
> > be adopted?
> >
> > What knowledge do I need to have?
> >
> > I have no deep knowledge about compiler development. I am a Java back-end
> > developer (the usual stuff: Spring, JPA, etc.) with some Smalltalk
> > experience.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sebastian

I don't have any experience with Eclipse but if you want to try using
command-line git I will happily offer skype or IRC assistance.

I'll be free this evening around 6PM Pacific Time

Steven!
nuclearsandwich

Re: Massive update ...

Stefan Krecher
> I don't have any experience with Eclipse but if you want to try using
> command-line git I will happily offer skype or IRC assistance.
>
> I'll be free this evening around 6PM Pacific Time

Thank you Steven! I'd like to come back on this in a few days, ok?
Regards,
Stefan

--
Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Stefan Krecher
Neulander Str. 17, 27374 Visselhövede
mobil +49(0)172 3608616
http://krecher.com

Re: Massive update ...

Steven! Ragnarök
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:26:55PM +0200, Stefan Krecher wrote:

> > I don't have any experience with Eclipse but if you want to try using
> > command-line git I will happily offer skype or IRC assistance.
> >
> > I'll be free this evening around 6PM Pacific Time
>
> Thank you Steven! I'd like to come back on this in a few days, ok?
> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> --
> Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Stefan Krecher
> Neulander Str. 17, 27374 Visselhövede
> Tel +49(0)4262 958848
> mobil +49(0)172 3608616
> http://krecher.com

Sure thing, So you're aware, I'm a student and finals are rapidly
approaching so my timetable is incredibly haphazard at the moment. The
further in advance we can set a time, the better the chance I'll be able
to make an appointment. Feel free to ping me off-list to set something
up.

Steven!
nuclearsandwich

Re: Massive update ...

Sebastian Nozzi-2
I'm kind of new to git altogether. I managed to set-up my Eclipse to compile, run, test, debug the Redline codebase.

Next step would be using git from within Eclipse.

For now, I am managing it externally (using GitX and GitHup.app on a Mac). But will also install the Eclipse plugin. If anything for versioning status.

What is the problem with whitespaces...? When diffing?

one important skill is the usage of git - i'm still struggling with git+eclipse. Does anyone have experience with Java+git+eclipse? I still have problems with whitespaces etc.

one important skill is the usage of git - i'm still struggling with git+eclipse. Does anyone have experience with Java+git+eclipse? I still have problems with whitespaces etc.

Re: Massive update ...

SeanTAllen
For those who are new to eclipse and plan on using it,

I suggest installing the Any Edit plugin which amongst other things will remove trailing whitespace from line

[...]

Pardon my ignorance :-) but... why don't we just (I know, it's never just a "just" ;-) export the relevant classes from Pharo, including the tests, and try to work out the edges where it does not work? (missing primitives, false assumptions, etc.) I see that a Pharo exporter already exists, I've used it and it seems to work.

Or are there legal / technical reasons not to do so?

The current approach, correct me if I'm wrong, would be:
- use Pharo / Blue-Book as a reference
- re-implement the missing methods
- write tests for it
- if a primitive is missing or failing, tell James or Sean

Thanks!

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pardon my ignorance :-) but... why don't we just (I know, it's never just a "just" ;-) export the relevant classes from Pharo, including the tests, and try to work out the edges where it does not work? (missing primitives, false assumptions, etc.) I see that a Pharo exporter already exists, I've used it and it seems to work.

It did last time I tried it. If you find an issue with the exporter. Feel free to fix it.
I apologize for doing it all as a single class side method. Its a bit of a hack right now and needs to be improved.

Or are there legal / technical reasons not to do so?

If someone wants to adopt a class and do they, they are welcome to.

However, as a whole sale strategy, I POC'd that quite a while back and it pulls in a ton of cruft that we don't want.
There are many methods that exist on base pharo classes for things like morphic etc that we will probably never have in Redline
and it is easier to build a clean base rather than tear down to one.

The current approach, correct me if I'm wrong, would be:
- use Pharo / Blue-Book as a reference

yes but if you see a method in pharo and you don't know what it does and if it is needed,
skip it for now.

- re-implement the missing methods
- write tests for it
- if a primitive is missing or failing, tell James or Sean

Just ping the list and someone will take care of it.

Or if you want to get dirty, you can dive in and take a look and implement.

-Sean-

Re: Massive update ...

Robert Roland
I've looked at Pharo when working on implementing the base classes. While Redline has a compatible license with Pharo, I didn't feel right just blanket copying their hard work. I also enjoyed the challenge of implementing them myself. I switched to only looking at Pharo when I got stuck.

I picked up a copy of the Blue Book, used on Amazon, for something like US$3.00 also.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Rob Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've looked at Pharo when working on implementing the base classes. While Redline has a compatible license with Pharo, I didn't feel right just blanket copying their hard work. I also enjoyed the challenge of implementing them myself. I switched to only looking at Pharo when I got stuck.

+1 on that.

Re: Massive update ...

Sebastian Nozzi-2
While I sympathize very much with what you (Rob) say, and I think it's very noble and ethical, my perspective on this is quite different.

I could also say: I don't feel right neglecting their hard work ;-) For me it's thinkable to hear more than one Pharo dev telling us: Guys! We worked so hard! Why don't you use/like our work?

I think in the worst case it does no harm to the Pharo project (since we won't demand of them to change this and that so that their code works on the JVM - that would be our job, on our codebase). It only delays the progress of Redline ST not to use an already existing (excellent and time-tried) implementation. And in the long run, having another ST working implementation, no less than on the JVM, is a "win" situation for the Smalltalk community as a whole (it adds viability / credibility to the language, and in turn to Pharo).

So, that's my view on it :-)

P.S. Additionally, we would be code-reviewing Pharo's implementation in the process. We would be their unwanted QA team :-D

+1 on that.