Matrix API question for a native english

Matrix API question for a native english

stepharo
Hi

a matrix has rowCount and columnCount and I was wondering if this api is
the way to get
the number of columns and rows of a matrix.
Would rowNumber and columnNumber be better?

Re: Matrix API question for a native english

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 3:05 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> a matrix has rowCount and columnCount and I was wondering if this api is the
> way to get
> the number of columns and rows of a matrix.
> Would rowNumber and columnNumber be better?

I think rowCount is better than rowNumber for that.

You used "number of rows" in your own English right there, so
"numberOfRows" would be just as descriptive as rowCount, but not
better and certainly not worth changing the API, IMO.

Re: Matrix API question for a native english

stepharo
thank chris.

I can tell you that I would be even more productive if I would be a
native speaker....
So should we use rowCount for method argument?
because we got rows: rows meaning rows: rowCount and I rewrote them as
rows: rowNumber but it could be better to have
rows: rowCount.

tx
Stef

Le 9/2/15 22:11, Chris Muller a écrit :

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 3:05 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> a matrix has rowCount and columnCount and I was wondering if this api is the
>> way to get
>> the number of columns and rows of a matrix.
>> Would rowNumber and columnNumber be better?
> I think rowCount is better than rowNumber for that.
>
> You used "number of rows" in your own English right there, so
> "numberOfRows" would be just as descriptive as rowCount, but not
> better and certainly not worth changing the API, IMO.

Re: Matrix API question for a native english

Ben Coman
rowCount sounds like its the total number of rows.
rowNumber sounds like a particular row.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Johann Hibschman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ccrraaiigg

Hoi Stef--

> So should we use rowCount for method argument?
> because we got rows: rows meaning rows: rowCount and I rewrote them as
> rows: rowNumber but it could be better to have
> rows: rowCount.

     "numberOfRows" is unambiguous, in both a selector and a variable
name. Therefore (in my opinion as a native English speaker :), it is
better than the alternatives mentioned.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: Matrix API question for a native english

stepharo
Thank you all. I'm learning so I will revise all the comments and arguments.
You see the kind of improvement, people could do to improve pharo :) Hoi
Stef--