Matrix sunburst: increasing the separation between arcs

Matrix sunburst: increasing the separation between arcs

Offray
Hi,

Pair programming with Milton at Smalltalks 2015, we (well mostly he) came with what I call a "matrix sunburst" that shows a sunburst diagram using a matrix instead of a tree as data source (the clever hack of Milton was to convert the data in the matrix to a tree with only one child on any branch after the first one!). The inspiration was taken from [1] and the idea was from a friend who want to use this kind of matrix alike sunburst to compare public medicine information.

[1] http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2012/may/08/gay-rights-united-states

With this I can create thinks like this:

But to get a more readable visualization, I would like to make two things:

a. Increase the empty space between arcs, not like the current radial strategy, but more like the graphic at [1]. For this we thought in adding a RTEdge with the same color as the background. How can I calculate the position of every RTEdge at the final of each arch in the sunburst?

b. I would like to keep each ring of the same size instead of making them narrower as the become more away of the center. It this possible?

c. Finally I have created RTSunburstBuilder>>exploreMatrix: aMatrix coloredWith: aColorPalette in my own image, because I think that is the best place it can be to be reused in my own visualizations. Is this a good practice? Can I share this code back with the Roassal project? How? (hopefully I will not need to learn git and its gratituous complexity).

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Matrix sunburst: increasing the separation between arcs

abergel
Milton is talking to you on Slack. Let us know about the result :-)

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Nov 27, 2015, at 2:01 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Pair programming with Milton at Smalltalks 2015, we (well mostly he) came with what I call a "matrix sunburst" that shows a sunburst diagram using a matrix instead of a tree as data source (the clever hack of Milton was to convert the data in the matrix to a tree with only one child on any branch after the first one!). The inspiration was taken from [1] and the idea was from a friend who want to use this kind of matrix alike sunburst to compare public medicine information.

[1] http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2012/may/08/gay-rights-united-states

With this I can create thinks like this:

<aedejabe..png>

[...]

Tudor Girba-2
Nice.

Man, it gets really hard to keep up with everything happening around here :)

Cheers,
Doru

> On Nov 27, 2015, at 7:24 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Milton is talking to you on Slack. Let us know about the result :-)
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On Nov 27, 2015, at 2:01 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Pair programming with Milton at Smalltalks 2015, we (well mostly he) came with what I call a "matrix sunburst" that shows a sunburst diagram using a matrix instead of a tree as data source (the clever hack of Milton was to convert the data in the matrix to a tree with only one child on any branch after the first one!). The inspiration was taken from [1] and the idea was from a friend who want to use this kind of matrix alike sunburst to compare public medicine information.
>>
>> [1] http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2012/may/08/gay-rights-united-states
>>
>> With this I can create thinks like this:
>>
>> <aedejabe..png>
>>
>> But to get a more readable visualization, I would like to make two things:
>>
>> a. Increase the empty space between arcs, not like the current radial strategy, but more like the graphic at [1]. For this we thought in adding a RTEdge with the same color as the background. How can I calculate the position of every RTEdge at the final of each arch in the sunburst?
>>
>> b. I would like to keep each ring of the same size instead of making them narrower as the become more away of the center. It this possible?
>>
>> c. Finally I have created RTSunburstBuilder>>exploreMatrix: aMatrix coloredWith: aColorPalette in my own image, because I think that is the best place it can be to be reused in my own visualizations. Is this a good practice? Can I share this code back with the Roassal project? How? (hopefully I will not need to learn git and its gratituous complexity).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.