Maui

Raymond Asselin-4
 Hi Chris,
 I want to tell you that the more I use Maui the more I like it.
It is a Jewell , fast and very useful. Morphic as it is, seems a mountain to climb. But if I need to do an application I will do it with Maui but let it die if I got to do it with morphic because it is too much work and very too long. So Maui is a must for users of Squeak who just love to do small applications for them, applications  they can use in everyday life.

I  hope it will be of full use in 4.6 in the near futur (serialization of MauiFamily of prototypes)

Again this is a gift you did to the community and  I wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.

Raymond

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Maui

Chris Muller-3
Thanks for saying so.  I plan to do another iteration on Maui to fix
some issues for the 4.6 release.  Later this year I want to reinvent
it from the ground up as Maui 2, a version that runs in the browser.
Maui 1 has been a good learning experiment I'm ready to reinvent it
better as Maui 2 in the browser.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Raymond Asselin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi Chris,
>  I want to tell you that the more I use Maui the more I like it.
> It is a Jewell , fast and very useful. Morphic as it is, seems a mountain to climb. But if I need to do an application I will do it with Maui but let it die if I got to do it with morphic because it is too much work and very too long. So Maui is a must for users of Squeak who just love to do small applications for them, applications  they can use in everyday life.
>
> I  hope it will be of full use in 4.6 in the near futur (serialization of MauiFamily of prototypes)
>
> Again this is a gift you did to the community and  I wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.
>
> Raymond
>
> Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Maui

Casey Ransberger-2
Gotta second this motion. Maui really is a gift. Data-directed directly into your brain, nearly tactile user interaction. It's like you're looking directly at the actual object, but with a lens that lets you see more clearly than the standard inspector. In some ways, it reminds me of Self and its Outliners.

If you're using Squeak and you haven't checked out Maui, please do. There's a bit of a learning curve, but Chris has documented it well.

--C

P.S.

Also install... What's it called? Maybe Connectors? Help me out here, Chris. Anyway it aids visualization a *whole lot.* Makes the whole network of information really pop out at your eye in a way that's really intuitive.

> On Mar 15, 2015, at 11:54 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for saying so.  I plan to do another iteration on Maui to fix
> some issues for the 4.6 release.  Later this year I want to reinvent
> it from the ground up as Maui 2, a version that runs in the browser.
> Maui 1 has been a good learning experiment I'm ready to reinvent it
> better as Maui 2 in the browser.
>
>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Raymond Asselin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>> I want to tell you that the more I use Maui the more I like it.
>> It is a Jewell , fast and very useful. Morphic as it is, seems a mountain to climb. But if I need to do an application I will do it with Maui but let it die if I got to do it with morphic because it is too much work and very too long. So Maui is a must for users of Squeak who just love to do small applications for them, applications  they can use in everyday life.
>>
>> I  hope it will be of full use in 4.6 in the near futur (serialization of MauiFamily of prototypes)
>>
>> Again this is a gift you did to the community and  I wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.
>>
>> Raymond
>>
>> Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Maui

Chris Muller-4
On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Casey Ransberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gotta second this motion. Maui really is a gift. Data-directed directly into your brain, nearly tactile user interaction. It's like you're looking directly at the actual object, but with a lens that lets you see more clearly than the standard inspector. In some ways, it reminds me of Self and its Outliners.

Oh, thanks.!  In contrast to the standard inspector, its main goal is
to expose the behaviors of an object to the user instead of its state,
and where the user chooses the particular behaviors she wants.

> Also install... What's it called? Maybe Connectors?

Upon installation Maui will automatically install Connectors if it
isn't already installed.

Re: Maui

douglas mcpherson
+1000

I used Maui for many parts of the UI of a large cellular wireless simulator project I worked on a couple of years ago. It made the task of developing many UI components almost free. Very cool stuff.

Doug

> On Mar 15, 2015, at 16:23, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Gotta second this motion. Maui really is a gift. Data-directed directly into your brain, nearly tactile user interaction. It's like you're looking directly at the actual object, but with a lens that lets you see more clearly than the standard inspector. In some ways, it reminds me of Self and its Outliners.
>
> If you're using Squeak and you haven't checked out Maui, please do. There's a bit of a learning curve, but Chris has documented it well.
>
> --C
>
> P.S.
>
> Also install... What's it called? Maybe Connectors? Help me out here, Chris. Anyway it aids visualization a *whole lot.* Makes the whole network of information really pop out at your eye in a way that's really intuitive.
>
>> On Mar 15, 2015, at 11:54 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for saying so.  I plan to do another iteration on Maui to fix
>> some issues for the 4.6 release.  Later this year I want to reinvent
>> it from the ground up as Maui 2, a version that runs in the browser.
>> Maui 1 has been a good learning experiment I'm ready to reinvent it
>> better as Maui 2 in the browser.
>>
>>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Raymond Asselin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Chris,
>>> I want to tell you that the more I use Maui the more I like it.
>>> It is a Jewell , fast and very useful. Morphic as it is, seems a mountain to climb. But if I need to do an application I will do it with Maui but let it die if I got to do it with morphic because it is too much work and very too long. So Maui is a must for users of Squeak who just love to do small applications for them, applications  they can use in everyday life.
>>>
>>> I  hope it will be of full use in 4.6 in the near futur (serialization of MauiFamily of prototypes)
>>>
>>> Again this is a gift you did to the community and  I wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Raymond
>>>
>>> Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Maui

garduino
Currently the latest Squeak version where Maui is available is 4.4?

+1000

I used Maui for many parts of the UI of a large cellular wireless simulator project I worked on a couple of years ago. It made the task of developing many UI components almost free. Very cool stuff.

Doug

> On Mar 15, 2015, at 16:23, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Gotta second this motion. Maui really is a gift. Data-directed directly into your brain, nearly tactile user interaction. It's like you're looking directly at the actual object, but with a lens that lets you see more clearly than the standard inspector. In some ways, it reminds me of Self and its Outliners.
>
> If you're using Squeak and you haven't checked out Maui, please do. There's a bit of a learning curve, but Chris has documented it well.
>
> --C
>
> P.S.
>
> Also install... What's it called? Maybe Connectors? Help me out here, Chris. Anyway it aids visualization a *whole lot.* Makes the whole network of information really pop out at your eye in a way that's really intuitive.
>
>> On Mar 15, 2015, at 11:54 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for saying so.  I plan to do another iteration on Maui to fix
>> some issues for the 4.6 release.  Later this year I want to reinvent
>> it from the ground up as Maui 2, a version that runs in the browser.
>> Maui 1 has been a good learning experiment I'm ready to reinvent it
>> better as Maui 2 in the browser.
>>
>>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Raymond Asselin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Chris,
>>> I want to tell you that the more I use Maui the more I like it.
>>> It is a Jewell , fast and very useful. Morphic as it is, seems a mountain to climb. But if I need to do an application I will do it with Maui but let it die if I got to do it with morphic because it is too much work and very too long. So Maui is a must for users of Squeak who just love to do small applications for them, applications  they can use in everyday life.
>>>
>>> I  hope it will be of full use in 4.6 in the near futur (serialization of MauiFamily of prototypes)
>>>
>>> Again this is a gift you did to the community and  I wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Raymond
>>>
>>> Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Maui

Raymond Asselin-4
I use it on Squeak4.6
latest update: #14092
Current Change Set: Unnamed1
Image format 6505 (32 bit)

with Squeak Cog 4.0.3282
on OSX 10.10.2
======
- But some things don't works like seriliazing the MauiFamily of prototypals views
- You can't use the refactoringBrowser
- Some others small points I don't recall except when you encounter them.
======

If I remember correctly I picked the code from
http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Maui with Monticello Browser.
and load it with connector

Hope this help

Le 2015-03-20 à 09:49, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Currently the latest Squeak version where Maui is available is 4.4?

+1000

I used Maui for many parts of the UI of a large cellular wireless simulator project I worked on a couple of years ago. It made the task of developing many UI components almost free. Very cool stuff.

Doug

> On Mar 15, 2015, at 16:23, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Gotta second this motion. Maui really is a gift. Data-directed directly into your brain, nearly tactile user interaction. It's like you're looking directly at the actual object, but with a lens that lets you see more clearly than the standard inspector. In some ways, it reminds me of Self and its Outliners.
>
> If you're using Squeak and you haven't checked out Maui, please do. There's a bit of a learning curve, but Chris has documented it well.
>
> --C
>
> P.S.
>
> Also install... What's it called? Maybe Connectors? Help me out here, Chris. Anyway it aids visualization a *whole lot.* Makes the whole network of information really pop out at your eye in a way that's really intuitive.
>
>> On Mar 15, 2015, at 11:54 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for saying so.  I plan to do another iteration on Maui to fix
>> some issues for the 4.6 release.  Later this year I want to reinvent
>> it from the ground up as Maui 2, a version that runs in the browser.
>> Maui 1 has been a good learning experiment I'm ready to reinvent it
>> better as Maui 2 in the browser.
>>
>>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Raymond Asselin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Chris,
>>> I want to tell you that the more I use Maui the more I like it.
>>> It is a Jewell , fast and very useful. Morphic as it is, seems a mountain to climb. But if I need to do an application I will do it with Maui but let it die if I got to do it with morphic because it is too much work and very too long. So Maui is a must for users of Squeak who just love to do small applications for them, applications  they can use in everyday life.
>>>
>>> I  hope it will be of full use in 4.6 in the near futur (serialization of MauiFamily of prototypes)
>>>
>>> Again this is a gift you did to the community and  I wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Raymond
>>>
>>> Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Maui

garduino