Max characters limit

Santiago Cardoso Geller
Hello !
Any body can explain how to set the max characters limit in a
TextEdit box?

I tried to reimplement the #maxTextLimit method, but it doesn´t fix my
problem properly.

Thanks,
Santiago

Re: Max characters limit

Ian Bartholomew-7
Santiago,

> Any body can explain how to set the max characters limit in a
> TextEdit box?
>
> I tried to reimplement the #maxTextLimit method, but it doesn´t fix my
> problem properly.

What are you trying to set it to? i.e. have you seen the comment for
TextEdit>>textLimit ...

textLimit: anInteger
    "Set the maximum text limit for the receiver. The initial default limit
is around 32kb.
    N.B. The maximum limits are as follows:
        Single Line
            NT - 0x7FFFFFFE
            95/98 - 16r7FFE (i.e. less than 32kb).
        Multiline
            NT - 16rFFFFFFFF
            95/98 - 16rFFFF"

The maximum limits are Windows defined and cannot be exceeded even if you
change #maxTextLimit.  If you are using 95/98 and need more room then you
will probably have to use a RichTextEdit which has, according to it's
comment, around the same limit as NT above.

Regards
    Ian

Re: Max characters limit

Santiago Cardoso Geller-2
I need to set the limit to 30 characters, because 30 is the size of
the field on the DataBase.

I saw another thing:

If you set the property isStatic: true, but the property isTabStop is
true too, you can get inside the textField with the tab key and edit
the text.

Is this a bug?

Thanks,
Santiago

Ian Bartholomew wrote:

>Santiago,
>
>> Any body can explain how to set the max characters limit in a
>> TextEdit box?
>>
>> I tried to reimplement the #maxTextLimit method, but it doesn´t fix my
>> problem properly.
>
>What are you trying to set it to? i.e. have you seen the comment for
>TextEdit>>textLimit ...
>
>textLimit: anInteger
>    "Set the maximum text limit for the receiver. The initial default limit
>is around 32kb.
>    N.B. The maximum limits are as follows:
>        Single Line
>            NT - 0x7FFFFFFE
>            95/98 - 16r7FFE (i.e. less than 32kb).
>        Multiline
>            NT - 16rFFFFFFFF
>            95/98 - 16rFFFF"
>
>The maximum limits are Windows defined and cannot be exceeded even if you
>change #maxTextLimit.  If you are using 95/98 and need more room then you
>will probably have to use a RichTextEdit which has, according to it's
>comment, around the same limit as NT above.
>
>Regards
>    Ian

Re: Max characters limit

Ian Bartholomew-7
Santiago,

> I need to set the limit to 30 characters, because 30 is the size of
> the field on the DataBase.

Oh, got you. I thought you wanted to raise the limit.  Just send #textLimit
to your view once it is created...

aTextPresenter view textLimit: 30

> If you set the property isStatic: true, but the property isTabStop is
> true too, you can get inside the textField with the tab key and edit
> the text.
>
> Is this a bug?

 From a quick peek it looks like Dolphin asks Windows for the next view to
tab to (see View>>tabNextSiblingFrom:forward:) so if Windows answers a view
with the Static flag set then I guess it is just giving the TabStop flag
precedence over the Static flag.  Whether this is wrong (it might be
deliberately specified in that way somewhere?) and/or whether Dolphin should
trap/prevent it - <shrug>.  Having the #isStatic attribute automatically
adjust the #isTabStop and #isReadOnly attributes would be possible, as would
adding a test to the above method, but whether it is worth it?

Regards
    Ian

Re: Max characters limit

Ian Bartholomew-7