May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

12

May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

stephane ducasse
I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
"apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"

> http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
> http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png

And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.

Stef (I will do it on my web page).

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Rob Vens-2
It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything. Keeping the dialogue open, especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.
Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.

2010/4/22 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
"apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"

> http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
> http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png

And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.

Stef (I will do it on my web page).

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

jarober
+1

Ponder how you react to angry political statements from (insert political standing you dislike here).

Does that make you more likely to change your mind, or more likely to tune the offending opinion out?

On Apr 22, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Rob Vens wrote:

It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything. Keeping the dialogue open, especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.
Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.

2010/4/22 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
"apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"

> http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
> http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png

And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.

Stef (I will do it on my web page).

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Reg Krock
+1

I agree. Also, Ralph Johnson had a link to this post this morning. It
gives an interesting insight into Apple and Steve Jobs' way of thinking.

http://www.asktog.com/columns/082iPad&Mac.html

Reg

On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Rob Vens wrote:

> It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
> But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
> In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything.

may be others did it for you :)

>  Keeping the dialogue open,

dialog ?
come one guys are you dreaming. There is no dialog. Start to rehearse your javascript or objective-C.

> especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.
> Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.

who can approach Apple from the esug community?
Not me.
And as an individual I will put what I want on my web page and I will say what I think about the Apple attitude over my language.
And I will buy less apple products. I'm waiting to cancel our ipad order.

Stef_______________________________________________
Esug-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.esug.org/listinfo/esug-list

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Guys

You are showing that ESUG should not do anything and this is perfect! I have something else to do with my energy.
I will not the question with the board. This will save us a lot of time and discussion. This is my last post on the topic.
It is too easy to talk and less to do. So I will be watching you in action.

And on my web site I will write what I think!
Apple is damaging my language and I do not like that.

Stef

On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:14 PM, James Robertson wrote:

> +1
>
> Ponder how you react to angry political statements from (insert political standing you dislike here).
>
> Does that make you more likely to change your mind, or more likely to tune the offending opinion out?
>
> On Apr 22, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Rob Vens wrote:
>
>> It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
>> But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
>> In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything. Keeping the dialogue open, especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.
>> Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.
>>
>> 2010/4/22 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
>> web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
>> "apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"
>>
>> > http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
>> > http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png
>>
>> And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.
>>
>> Stef (I will do it on my web page).

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

stephane ducasse-2

On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:14 PM, James Robertson wrote:

> +1
>
> Ponder how you react to angry political statements from (insert political standing you dislike here).
>
> Does that make you more likely to change your mind, or more likely to tune the offending opinion out?

sorry james but you reach my english limits
I could not get what you mean.

> On Apr 22, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Rob Vens wrote:
>
>> It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
>> But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
>> In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything. Keeping the dialogue open, especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.
>> Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.
>>
>> 2010/4/22 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
>> web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
>> "apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"
>>
>> > http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
>> > http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png
>>
>> And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.
>>
>> Stef (I will do it on my web page).

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

jarober
I'm not saying "do nothing" - I'm saying "consider what might have a snowball's chance in hell of working"

On Apr 22, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Guys
>
> You are showing that ESUG should not do anything and this is perfect! I have something else to do with my energy.
> I will not the question with the board. This will save us a lot of time and discussion. This is my last post on the topic.
> It is too easy to talk and less to do. So I will be watching you in action.
>
> And on my web site I will write what I think!
> Apple is damaging my language and I do not like that.
>
> Stef
>

> On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:14 PM, James Robertson wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Ponder how you react to angry political statements from (insert political standing you dislike here).
>>
>> Does that make you more likely to change your mind, or more likely to tune the offending opinion out?
>>
>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Rob Vens wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
>>> But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
>>> In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything. Keeping the dialogue open, especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.
>>> Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.
>>>
>>> 2010/4/22 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>> I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
>>> web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
>>> "apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"

>>> And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.
>>>
>>> Stef (I will do it on my web page).

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Bernard Pottier-2
Le 22/04/2010 21:14, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Rob Vens wrote:
>

>> It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
>> But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
>> In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything.
>>
> may be others did it for you :)
>

>>   Keeping the dialogue open,
>>
> dialog ?
> come one guys are you dreaming. There is no dialog. Start to rehearse your javascript or objective-C.

or use another plaform, if you can.
Other news (Apple/ARM rumors) from my mailbox:

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224600071&cid=NL_eet

  Bernard

>> especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.
>> Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.
>>
> who can approach Apple from the esug community?
> Not me.
> And as an individual I will put what I want on my web page and I will say what I think about the Apple attitude over my language.
> And I will buy less apple products. I'm waiting to cancel our ipad order.
>
> Stef_______________________________________________
> Esug-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.esug.org/listinfo/esug-list

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Janko Mivšek
Guys, I also don't understand that language, please use English
"Vulgata" on international forums :)

Janko

On 22. 04. 2010 21:34, James Robertson wrote:

> I'm not saying "do nothing" - I'm saying "consider what might have a snowball's chance in hell of working"
>

> On Apr 22, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Guys
>>
>> You are showing that ESUG should not do anything and this is perfect! I have something else to do with my energy.
>> I will not the question with the board. This will save us a lot of time and discussion. This is my last post on the topic.
>> It is too easy to talk and less to do. So I will be watching you in action.
>>
>> And on my web site I will write what I think!
>> Apple is damaging my language and I do not like that.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:14 PM, James Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Ponder how you react to angry political statements from (insert political standing you dislike here).
>>>
>>> Does that make you more likely to change your mind, or more likely to tune the offending opinion out?

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Philippe Marschall
2010/4/22 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
> web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
> "apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"
>
>> http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
>> http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png
>
> And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.

-1

If you want to send a statement stop using MacBooks and iPhones.
Otherwise I just don't take you serious.

Cheers
Philippe

AW: [Esug-list] May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Nowak, Helge

While I fully agree to *arguing* on a non-emotional level I fully disagree to refrain from protesting. You think that protests did not lead to anything but the dialogue did. My observation from the past till today is: protest enables dialogue. Usually one party is not “open to the dialogue” and needs to be “forced to the table”. Let’s throw apples at Apple ;-)

It seems that Apple's current stance is indeed very bad for Smalltalk (as for any other vm based language, although the term "interpreted" may be interpreted in different ways excuse the pun).
But you, as the chairman of ESUG, should not operate solely as an individual I think. So I would advise against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
In spite of the fact that my age would qualify me to be part of the "protest generation", I never felt that these protests lead to anything. Keeping the dialogue open, especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with "persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.

Approach Apple with "concerns" instead of indignation.

2010/4/22 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>

I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
"apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"

> http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
> http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png

And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.

Stef (I will do it on my web page).

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

NiallRoss
Dear Stephane et al,
    I think James is recommending argument that is not weak but
nevertheless avoids causing any needless offence, concentraing on making
plain the reasons for concern and the hope that the problem can be
solved rather than confronted.  I think John McIntosh' style in what he
has made public is a good example, and stresses a useful public issue.

Practically speaking, I think this only means is that if you prepare a
public statement over the ESUG name, you may benefit from

 - rereading it more than once, spaced out over a day or more

 - getting someone else to read it from the point of view of how it will
read to Apple, considering carefully their review comments

before issuing.  I have benefitted from this approach in some difficult
communications - and occasionally regretted it when I did not follow
this approach.

There may well be, as James remarks, only a snowball's chance of it
having any effect anyway, but the additional time costs little and may
add a snowflake or two.

John's suggestion was

 > people involved in the education & university domains need to write
 > actual paper based letters on their institution's letter head and
mail them
 > to the Apple education reps for their countries

IIUC your reply to that email, you feel that will be difficult to make
happen;  you know best those institutions you are in contact with.  Such
a letter could be sent just by ESUG, in hopes that others would arrive
sometime - as well as posted on the web.

I think John is right that the effort of a hand-signed letter with a
logo adds another snowflake or two.

Just my 0.02p.

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

Janko Mivšek wrote:

>Guys, I also don't understand that language, please use English
>"Vulgata" on international forums :)
>
>Janko
>
>On 22. 04. 2010 21:34, James Robertson wrote:
>

>>I'm not saying "do nothing" - I'm saying "consider what might have a snowball's chance in hell of working"
>>

>>On Apr 22, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>

>>>Guys
>>>
>>>You are showing that ESUG should not do anything and this is perfect! I have something else to do with my energy.
>>>I will not the question with the board. This will save us a lot of time and discussion. This is my last post on the topic.
>>>It is too easy to talk and less to do. So I will be watching you in action.
>>>
>>>And on my web site I will write what I think!
>>>Apple is damaging my language and I do not like that.
>>>
>>>Stef

>This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
>For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

stephane ducasse-2
Exactly.
I'm really thinking about that and I do not have iphone!

Stef

> I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their
>> web page. Apple will get a bad press. So we should probably individually do that with a nice explanation
>> "apple has forbidden to use our preferred languages to develop ipad applications - boycott apple"
>>
>>> http://www.bluecollardistro.com/indietech/images/int-ss-001-01.jpg
>>> http://www.roflronjon.net/images/Other/isuck.png
>>
>> And esug can issue a more politically correct statement.
>
> -1
>
> If you want to send a statement stop using MacBooks and iPhones.
> Otherwise I just don't take you serious.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Maarten Mostert-2
Dear Nial,

I totally agree with you. But before acting are we sure to know the truth about Apples bottomline. From what I
understand from some readings is that Apple is mostly opposed over the fact that Adobe flash is closed and not so
much over the fact that it is interpreted. There is an argument that basically both Squeak and VisualWorks are open
and published systems.

Regards,

@+Maarten,

> [...]

against "public" Smalltalkers to throw mud at Apple.
these protests lead to anything. Keeping the dialogue open, especially for ESUG, would be much more effective I
think. The approach will be much more effective if it is wrapped in arguments based on progress, quality, and
involvement. Qualifying companies as "evil" is not very effective, especially since it identifies companies with
"persons" which I think is a metaphorical error.

black skull on their

> >______________________________________________________________________
> >This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
> >For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email
> >______________________________________________________________________

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Hello all,

A positive suggestion:

Tablets are coming. Esug could set up a formal award for the best
Smalltalk application on a tablet, and invit company representatives
to the evaluation? (including Apple, of course).

http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-technologie-internet/2010-04-19/a-chacun-sa-tablette-les-concurrents-de-l-ipad/1387/2/1551/2/#newdiapo
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/04/linux_based_ipa.html

Bernard

Le 23/04/2010 13:03, stephane ducasse a écrit :
[...]

Peter Hugosson-Miller-2
Hahaha, brilliant, I love it! :-)

--
Cheers, Peter

On Sat, April 24, 2010 09:50, Bernard Pottier wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A positive suggestion:
>
> Tablets are coming. Esug could set up a formal award for the best
> Smalltalk application on a tablet, and invit company representatives
> to the evaluation? (including Apple, of course).
>
>     http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-technologie-internet/2010-04-19/a-chacun-sa-tablette-les-concurrents-de-l-ipad/1387/2/1551/2/#newdiapo
>
>     http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/04/linux_based_ipa.html
>

> Bernard
>

> Le 23/04/2010 13:03, stephane ducasse a écrit :
>> Exactly.
>> I'm really thinking about that and I do not have iphone!
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic
>>> languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their

>>> -1
>>>
>>> If you want to send a statement stop using MacBooks and iPhones.
>>> Otherwise I just don't take you serious.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Philippe

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

could be a good idea.

Stef

On Apr 24, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Bernard Pottier wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A positive suggestion:
>
> Tablets are coming. Esug could set up a formal award for the best
> Smalltalk application on a tablet, and invit company representatives
> to the evaluation? (including Apple, of course).
>
> http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-technologie-internet/2010-04-19/a-chacun-sa-tablette-les-concurrents-de-l-ipad/1387/2/1551/2/#newdiapo
> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/04/linux_based_ipa.html
>
> Bernard
>

> Le 23/04/2010 13:03, stephane ducasse a écrit :
>> Exactly.
>> I'm really thinking about that and I do not have iphone!
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> I still naively believe that if all the programmers of the dynamic languages put a logo with apple and a black skull on their

>>> -1
>>>
>>> If you want to send a statement stop using MacBooks and iPhones.
>>> Otherwise I just don't take you serious.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Philippe

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

SergeStinckwich
On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Bernard Pottier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A positive suggestion:
>
> Tablets are coming. Esug could set up a formal award for the best
> Smalltalk application on a tablet, and invit company representatives
> to the evaluation? (including Apple, of course).
>
> http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-technologie-internet/2010-04-19/a-chacun-sa-tablette-les-concurrents-de-l-ipad/1387/2/1551/2/#newdiapo
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/04/linux_based_ipa.html

I like your idea Bernard ! Maybe ESUG could organize a special contest
in order to support the Dynabook vision.
We could ask some bug players to sponsors this contest. The main
problem is that the Smalltalk community is maybe a bit to small to
provide enough challengers. I guess EToys, Scratch and Sophie could
already play.

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: May be the time to start some buzz around our frustration with Apple.

Ralph Johnson

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

I like your idea Bernard ! Maybe ESUG could organize a special contest
in order to support the Dynabook vision.
We could ask some bug players to sponsors this contest. The main
problem is that the Smalltalk community is maybe a bit to small to
provide enough challengers. I guess EToys, Scratch and Sophie could
already play.

The contest shouldn't be limited to Smalltalk.  It should promote the Dynabook vision, but shouldn't be limited to language.  Maybe get One Laptop Per Child involved.  The more people who are involved, the more Apple will feel left out.

-Ralph

12