Meanwhile, at another vm

12

Re: Meanwhile, at another vm

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 13, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On 04/13/2011 02:57 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> still this can always be interesting to learn your limit and dependencies.
>
> Sure, didn't make any judgments in any way. Just said I see some
> problems on the road.

That I'm convinced :)

> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Meanwhile, at another vm

Michael Haupt-3
Dave,

On 13 April 2011 23:06, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From:
>        http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=292
>
> "We will also investigate support for hotswapping, the capability to modify the structure of classes at run time."
>
> So, yes, they planned to "investigate" a version of become:
>
> The DaVinci Machine
>
>        http://openjdk.java.net/projects/mlvm/
>
> has an implementation:
>
>        http://wiki.jvmlangsummit.com/images/4/41/DaVinciMachineTalk.pdf

I'm puzzled; where is #become: mentioned as being implemented in that
talk? It's mostly about INVOKEDYNAMIC, which is an entirely different
thing. (They mention HotSwap on one slide, but that, as I wrote, has
been around since 1.4, and is also not really #become:.)

Best,

Michael

Re: Meanwhile, at another vm

Dave Mason-3

On Apr 14, 2011, at 04:13, Michael Haupt wrote:

> I'm puzzled; where is #become: mentioned as being implemented in that
> talk? It's mostly about INVOKEDYNAMIC, which is an entirely different
> thing. (They mention HotSwap on one slide, but that, as I wrote, has
> been around since 1.4, and is also not really #become:.)

I'n not sure what you mean that hotswap (or rather HotSwap) has been around since 1.4... do you perhaps mean HotSpot - the better jitter?

I haven't dug into the fine details, but here is a post from 2006 by Gilad Bracha, sometimes contributor to this list:

    http://blogs.sun.com/gbracha/entry/jsr292_and_hotswapping

and the update to it is the slides I cited say there is a patch to support hotswap currently as of Sept 2009.

Perhaps Gilad is listening, and can provide some context.

../Dave

Re: Meanwhile, at another vm

Stefan Marr-4
Hi:

On 14 Apr 2011, at 16:13, Dave Mason wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2011, at 04:13, Michael Haupt wrote:
>
>> I'm puzzled; where is #become: mentioned as being implemented in that
>> talk? It's mostly about INVOKEDYNAMIC, which is an entirely different
>> thing. (They mention HotSwap on one slide, but that, as I wrote, has
>> been around since 1.4, and is also not really #become:.)
>
> I'n not sure what you mean that hotswap (or rather HotSwap) has been around since 1.4... do you perhaps mean HotSpot - the better jitter?
Hotswap, as in changing methods in a class. That is what the JVM supports, and that is what Michael is referring to.
That is part of the JVM debuggers and tooling interface. That is part of the spec, not just an implementation detail of HotSpot.

> I haven't dug into the fine details, but here is a post from 2006 by Gilad Bracha, sometimes contributor to this list:
>
>    http://blogs.sun.com/gbracha/entry/jsr292_and_hotswapping
>
> and the update to it is the slides I cited say there is a patch to support hotswap currently as of Sept 2009.
Hotswap for methods was introduced as part of the debugging API, and that was part of Java 1.4 with its JavaTM Platform Debugger Architecture...

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: Meanwhile, at another vm

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Dave,

On 14 April 2011 16:13, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'n not sure what you mean that hotswap (or rather HotSwap) has been around since 1.4... do you perhaps mean HotSpot - the better jitter?

no, that's around since 1.3 IIRC. :-)

The HotSwap technology (i.e., the possibility to change method
implementations at run-time) was introduced in the Java VM with the
release of Java 1.4.

What I don't understand is how HotSwap is supposed to be related to
#become:. Also, JSR 292 does not change anything about that if I'm not
totally mistaken. It introduces INVOKEDYNAMIC. The details at
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=292 do not give away anything
related to HotSwap, schema changes or object identity exchange.

But we're probably rather off-topic by now. ;-)

Best,

Michael

Re: Meanwhile, at another vm

NorbertHartl

Am 14.04.2011 um 16:29 schrieb Michael Haupt:

> But we're probably rather off-topic by now. ;-)

No, the subject is "Meanwhile, at another vm". Quite flexible and welcoming to all sorts of discussions :)

Norbert

Re: Meanwhile, at another vm

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

On 14 April 2011 16:40, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But we're probably rather off-topic by now. ;-)
>
> No, the subject is "Meanwhile, at another vm". Quite flexible and welcoming to all sorts of discussions :)

all right then. Here we go. :-D

Best,

Michael

12