Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

123

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Edgar De Cleene

On 8/24/10 12:23 PM, "Pavel Krivanek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still think that Squeakers should entertaint the possibility to
> adopt PharoCore (or PharoKernel?) some way as the base. The reasons
> are clearly practical - and not only for Smalltalk programmers. Squeak
> hardly can keep pace with Pharo. Moreover Pharo starts to have several
> full-timers now. And original goals of Squeak are very different from
> duplicating of effort already done somewhere else. Squeak has to face
> to competition of Pharo and EToys. Squeakers can "fight" them or use
> them. Please do not let personal disagreements blind you...
>
> Cheers
> -- Pavel

My poor SqueakLight3 wish have the best of Cuis, Pharo and Squeak plus some
ideas I have, but clearly can't sell ...

If we rip Polymorph and do it unloadable/loadable and let cosmetics to user,
my vote is for PharoCore.

But if you have some more documented of your current PharoKernel somewhere I
don't found/know and this could be used on Mac, my vote is for PharoKernel.

Edgar

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/25/10, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/24/10 12:23 PM, "Pavel Krivanek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I still think that Squeakers should entertaint the possibility to
>> adopt PharoCore (or PharoKernel?) some way as the base. The reasons
>> are clearly practical - and not only for Smalltalk programmers. Squeak
>> hardly can keep pace with Pharo. Moreover Pharo starts to have several
>> full-timers now. And original goals of Squeak are very different from
>> duplicating of effort already done somewhere else. Squeak has to face
>> to competition of Pharo and EToys. Squeakers can "fight" them or use
>> them. Please do not let personal disagreements blind you...
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- Pavel
>
> My poor SqueakLight3 wish have the best of Cuis, Pharo and Squeak plus some
> ideas I have, but clearly can't sell ...

I assume there is not enough 'marketing'. I assume at least you need
more presence on a website where you explain what you are doing. I
pretty sure that there are people who will be willing to help you with
that.

It means that you maintain your own fork which is fine. Please
continue with it....

Is your SqueakLight3 based on Squeak4.1 trunk? Or Pharo? I ask this
because I'd like to know if it is under the MIT license.

I assume that some of the things you load in addition are not but in
this case I would not bother too much.

Where it the download link? Do you have a read-me.txt with the version history?

Cheers
--Hannes

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Pavel Krivanek
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/25/10, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Sorry, but I totally don't get what you're talking about. IMHO Pharo's
>>> Kernel/Collections/Network/Compiler is (far) behind Squeak's. I think
>>> Pharo
>>> lacks developers who have enough knowledge to touch those parts of the
>>> system and are willing to spend their time on it. But I may be wrong, so
>>> please let me know how is PharoKernel/Core better than Squeak.
>

>> Pharoers are preparing Opal and Ocean so at least it is not right that
>> they don't have enough courage and skills to touch this parts. As
>> someone who tried to be in touch with Pharo development from the
>> perspective of my previous modularization effort I had to say that the
>> amount of important changes in Pharo is really huge.
>
> Could you please elaborate on this? Some kind of metrics? (I.e. take
> all classes and method names in Squeak with the last change date and
> the same thing in Pharo and give some indication what has changed? -
> Of course this will be very rough as it does not really show what has
> been changed. Touching a method to replace the underscore assignment
> by := will show up), maybe you have better idea of metrics.

Ok, I'll try to do something.

>>> Hiring more people doesn't mean it will be better.
> Yes

>>> What are the original goals of Squeak besides being a general purpose free
>>> Smalltalk?
>>
>> >From Back to the future: "In December of 1995, the authors found
>> themselves wanting a development environment in which to build
>> educational software that could be used—and even programmed—by
>> non-technical people, and by children. We wanted our software to be
>> effective in mass-access media such as PDAs and the Internet, where
>> download times and power considerations make compactness essential,
>> and where hardware is diverse, and operating systems may change or be
>> completely absent. Therefore our ideal system would be a small,
>> portable kernel of simple and uniform design that could be adapted
>> rapidly to new delivery vehicles."
>>
>> Smalltalk was only an instrument.

>>> How is EToys competition to Squeak? Is EToys a free general purpose
>>> Smalltalk?
>>

> EToys is not a competition to Squeak. Bert Freudenberg says that they
> want to move over the Squeakland image to Squeak 4.1 trunk. I assume
> that he would appreciate your help, Pavel in this. In particular as
> you say such an effort would only take about 2 weeks. I consider this
> to be an amazing statement and we are interested in learning from you
> how such a thing can be done.

Well, if EToys really want to be based on Squeak then it changes everything.

>> Of course not. But for people who want to use EToys, the EToys image
>> is more natural choice. That was the main reason why Pharoers stopped
>> to support it because it was only a dead weight.
> For them but not for others that's the point. We still have a common
> base and on top of that different distributions.
>
> For them the concept
>> of general purpose Smalltalk (of the Sqeuak's way) is antiquated.
>
> OK, for them but please note that it is not for other kinds of people.

That is not about the beauty of the idea. EToys need a lot of deep
refactorings and the existence of EToys fork would disvalue it because
people who really use EToys are somewhere else.

>> The KernelImage project tried to show that it is possible to have a
>> modular Smalltalk with EToys support. But I did it only because it was
>> possible not because I really trusted it is a vital concept.
>
> This is interesting. Could you please elaborate why you think it is
> not a vital concept?

See above. If EToys will join forces with Squeak than we are in the
different situation.

-- Pavel

On 8/25/10 2:40 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is SqueakLight or FunSqueak of Edgard maintained? Probably yes, though
> on a more occasional basis. Edgar tries to preserve the original
> Squeak flavor.

Yes, I have it but, seems no people likes.

SqueakLight goes for his third life, begins some days before Andreas do the
first SqueakCore.

I could have up to date with trunk, cleaning from time to time the
Experiments folder on ftp, but having all on my own LAN.

Having  a good set of Mac Intel and PPC, Windoze in all his evil flavours
and Ubuntu Linux and doing experiments daily (The iPad still wainting)

Through http://www.squeakros.com.ar you can see a Spanish list of links
going to computers, not all run all the time for economic reasons.

The trade off is build on top the MinimalMorphic Pavel create long time ago
ånd I re take some months ago.

On top a 7.3 Mb image i can run real life Aida, Seaside+Pier, and some more

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/25/10, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> Pharoers are preparing Opal and Ocean so at least it is not right that
>>> they don't have enough courage and skills to touch this parts. As
>>> someone who tried to be in touch with Pharo development from the
>>> perspective of my previous modularization effort I had to say that the
>>> amount of important changes in Pharo is really huge.
>>
>> Could you please elaborate on this? Some kind of metrics? (I.e. take
>> all classes and method names in Squeak with the last change date and
>> the same thing in Pharo and give some indication what has changed? -
>> Of course this will be very rough as it does not really show what has
>> been changed. Touching a method to replace the underscore assignment
>> by := will show up), maybe you have better idea of metrics.
>
> Ok, I'll try to do something.

>> Yes

>>> themselves wanting a development environment in which to build
>>> educational software that could be used—and even programmed—by
>>> non-technical people, and by children. We wanted our software to be
>>> effective in mass-access media such as PDAs and the Internet, where
>>> download times and power considerations make compactness essential,
>>> and where hardware is diverse, and operating systems may change or be
>>> completely absent. Therefore our ideal system would be a small,
>>> portable kernel of simple and uniform design that could be adapted
>>> rapidly to new delivery vehicles."
>>>
>>> Smalltalk was only an instrument.

>> EToys is not a competition to Squeak. Bert Freudenberg says that they
>> want to move over the Squeakland image to Squeak 4.1 trunk. I assume
>> that he would appreciate your help, Pavel in this. In particular as
>> you say such an effort would only take about 2 weeks. I consider this
>> to be an amazing statement and we are interested in learning from you
>> how such a thing can be done.
>
> Well, if EToys really want to be based on Squeak then it changes everything.

Yes, we are talking about basing a product on Squeak 4.1 trunk which
runs on 1 to 2 million computers by now.

>>> Of course not. But for people who want to use EToys, the EToys image
>>> is more natural choice. That was the main reason why Pharoers stopped
>>> to support it because it was only a dead weight.
>> For them but not for others that's the point. We still have a common
>> base and on top of that different distributions.
>>
>> For them the concept
>>> of general purpose Smalltalk (of the Sqeuak's way) is antiquated.
>>
>> OK, for them but please note that it is not for other kinds of people.
>
> That is not about the beauty of the idea. EToys need a lot of deep
> refactorings and the existence of EToys fork would disvalue it because
> people who really use EToys are somewhere else.
>
>>> The KernelImage project tried to show that it is possible to have a
>>> modular Smalltalk with EToys support. But I did it only because it was
>>> possible not because I really trusted it is a vital concept.
>>
>> This is interesting. Could you please elaborate why you think it is
>> not a vital concept?
>
> See above. If EToys will join forces with Squeak than we are in the
> different situation.

Yes, see http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-August/152521.html
(Bert Freudenberg says that he want to do the same thing as Andreas.
Andreas moved the Cobalt code over so that it is based on Squeak 4.1
trunk)

> -- Pavel

I'm glad about this conclusion.

--Hannes

>>> supposed that the fact that we will have EToys in a separate package
>>> will probably show that nobody cares about its support (however I
>>> didn't wanted that).
>>
>> As far as I understand the situation EToys is supported by the
>> Squeakland people and they are happy to put it onto Squeak 4.1. But
>> this question is better answered by Bert Freudenberg.
>>

>>> Please, can you tell me for what target group of users the Squeak is
>>> and how it differs from Pharo and EToys? Because I'm confused in that.
>>
>> Still the original thing - personal digital media plus re-emphasized -
>> to be a common basis for forks. More details on request. Maybe we
>> should open another thread where we re-hearse the goals for Squeak 4.2
>> (or re-activate an older one).
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> -- Pavel
>>
>> Again - thank you Pavel for rejoining and contributing in various ways.
>>
>> --Hannes

SqueakLight3 again (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010)

Edgar De Cleene

On 8/25/10 7:51 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is your SqueakLight3 based on Squeak4.1 trunk? Or Pharo? I ask this
> because I'd like to know if it is under the MIT license.
>
> I assume that some of the things you load in addition are not but in
> this case I would not bother too much.
>
> Where it the download link? Do you have a read-me.txt with the version
> history?
>
> Cheers
> --Hannes

At this point SqueakLight3 is trunk unloaded as I said in past mails and
with few changes from me so all is MIT.
Unlucky us , no time for documentation but I try get and do some.

Differences:

The set of unloaded packages is suited to what you need later if you wish go
to more complex images.

Have a modified Monticello and only updates packages into the image.
This modified Monticello lets load complex like .sar things (Rompecabezas
and TaiPei in SqueakSource), we talked about this some time ago.
Also I made "class repositories" into Experiments folder with classes at the
time of the first build.

The idea is the image is "smarter" and via dnu could load any missed classes
from here.

As I said, we could go back to point when Closures change the previous
system and redo all again more clean.

For me, no image with small footprint and less classes worth if we can't
grow again to any arbitrary complex image in a documented way.

I know Andreas, Juan and Pavel are the Wonderful Masters , ask let me learn
from they working...

Edgar

On 8/25/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/25/10, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Could you please elaborate on this? Some kind of metrics? (I.e. take
>>> all classes and method names in Squeak with the last change date and
>>> the same thing in Pharo and give some indication what has changed? -
>>> Of course this will be very rough as it does not really show what has
>>> been changed. Touching a method to replace the underscore assignment
>>> by := will show up), maybe you have better idea of metrics.
>>
>> Ok, I'll try to do something.

>>> Yes

>>> EToys is not a competition to Squeak. Bert Freudenberg says that they
>>> want to move over the Squeakland image to Squeak 4.1 trunk. I assume
>>> that he would appreciate your help, Pavel in this. In particular as
>>> you say such an effort would only take about 2 weeks. I consider this
>>> to be an amazing statement and we are interested in learning from you
>>> how such a thing can be done.
>>
>> Well, if EToys really want to be based on Squeak then it changes
>> everything.
>
> Yes, we are talking about basing a product on Squeak 4.1 trunk which
> runs on 1 to 2 million computers by now.

>>> For them but not for others that's the point. We still have a common
>>> base and on top of that different distributions.
>>>
>>> For them the concept
>>>
>>> OK, for them but please note that it is not for other kinds of people.
>>
>> That is not about the beauty of the idea. EToys need a lot of deep
>> refactorings and the existence of EToys fork would disvalue it because
>> people who really use EToys are somewhere else.

>>> This is interesting. Could you please elaborate why you think it is
>>> not a vital concept?
>>
>> See above. If EToys will join forces with Squeak than we are in the
>> different situation.
>
> Yes, see
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-August/152521.html
> (Bert Freudenberg says that he want to do the same thing as Andreas.
> Andreas moved the Cobalt code over so that it is based on Squeak 4.1
> trunk)

And here
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149923.html
    Monticello-based updates for Etoys

Bert Freudenberg gives the information where the EToys development is
heading for and gives the relevant links for the sources.

>> -- Pavel
>
> I'm glad about this conclusion.
>
> --Hannes

>>> As far as I understand the situation EToys is supported by the
>>> Squeakland people and they are happy to put it onto Squeak 4.1. But
>>> this question is better answered by Bert Freudenberg.

>>> Still the original thing - personal digital media plus re-emphasized -
>>> to be a common basis for forks. More details on request. Maybe we
>>> should open another thread where we re-hearse the goals for Squeak 4.2
>>> (or re-activate an older one).

>>> Again - thank you Pavel for rejoining and contributing in various ways.
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Randal L. Schwartz

Hannes> Please note that in the meeting report this thread is about Randal
Hannes> says that he wants to contact the other Squeak based projects to talk
Hannes> about a minimal core.

Nope, that's a meme collision.  I'm contacting other Squeak forks (and
folks :) about a "users of Squeak et. al." survey, not about a minimal
core.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

survey (was: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Randal L. Schwartz wrote on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:29:27 -0700

> Hannes> Please note that in the meeting report this thread is about Randal
> Hannes> says that he wants to contact the other Squeak based projects to talk
> Hannes> about a minimal core.
>
> Nope, that's a meme collision.  I'm contacting other Squeak forks (and
> folks :) about a "users of Squeak et. al." survey, not about a minimal
> core.

Just to give a little more detail about this, it was decided that it
would be a nice idea to do some kind of survey to find out what people
are doing with Squeak. For example, if you are using it for robotics
wouldn't it be great to find out that three other groups around the
world are also working on this? One simple way to have such a survey
would be just to post some questions here and have anyone interested
reply. But then we would miss many people who do have a relation with
Squeak but don't read squeak-dev.

Randal volunteered to try to contact as many other groups as possible (I
know a few - we should try to make a list) and see who would like to
participate in such a survey and how we should do it (probably using
some existing tool somewhere more neutral than squeak.org).

-- Jecel

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> 2010/8/25 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

snip

>> Sorry, but I totally don't get what you're talking about. IMHO Pharo's
>> Kernel/Collections/Network/Compiler is (far) behind Squeak's. I think Pharo
>> lacks developers who have enough knowledge to touch those parts of the
>> system and are willing to spend their time on it. But I may be wrong, so
>> please let me know how is PharoKernel/Core better than Squeak.
>
> Pharoers are preparing Opal and Ocean so at least it is not right that
> they don't have enough courage and skills to touch this parts. As

Those are "external" packages. Maybe they will replace the Compiler and
Network packages in Pharo someday. But if they can be changed in Pharo,
it's very likely that they can be changed in Squeak if needed. I think
Ocean won't be succesful for networking with Alien and Opal will hardly
have the same performance as the current compiler, though both packages
have several other advantages.
Anyway, these aren't examples for "Pharo developers enhancing the existing
packages" which is what I was talking about.

> someone who tried to be in touch with Pharo development from the
> perspective of my previous modularization effort I had to say that the
> amount of important changes in Pharo is really huge.

You mean those changes which weren't taken from Squeak?

>>> full-timers now. And original goals of Squeak are very different from
>>
>> Hiring more people doesn't mean it will be better.
>>
>>> duplicating of effort already done somewhere else. Squeak has to face
>>
>> What are the original goals of Squeak besides being a general purpose free
>> Smalltalk?
>
>> From Back to the future: "In December of 1995, the authors found
> themselves wanting a development environment in which to build
> educational software that could be used?and even programmed?by
> non-technical people, and by children. We wanted our software to be
> effective in mass-access media such as PDAs and the Internet, where
> download times and power considerations make compactness essential,
> and where hardware is diverse, and operating systems may change or be
> completely absent. Therefore our ideal system would be a small,
> portable kernel of simple and uniform design that could be adapted
> rapidly to new delivery vehicles."
>
> Smalltalk was only an instrument.

The goals were to build a portable VM and something like EToys or Scratch?
If so, those goals were reached long time ago.

>>> to competition of Pharo and EToys. Squeakers can "fight" them or use
>>
>> How is EToys competition to Squeak? Is EToys a free general purpose
>> Smalltalk?
>
> Of course not. But for people who want to use EToys, the EToys image
> is more natural choice. That was the main reason why Pharoers stopped
> to support it because it was only a dead weight. For them the concept
> of general purpose Smalltalk (of the Sqeuak's way) is antiquated.
>
> The KernelImage project tried to show that it is possible to have a
> modular Smalltalk with EToys support. But I did it only because it was
> possible not because I really trusted it is a vital concept. I
> supposed that the fact that we will have EToys in a separate package
> will probably show that nobody cares about its support (however I
> didn't wanted that).
>
> Please, can you tell me for what target group of users the Squeak is
> and how it differs from Pharo and EToys? Because I'm confused in that.

Pharo originally targeted developers(*), but now it has the same target
audience as Squeak.

Levente

(*) Though I didn't see Stephane's presentation at ESUG 2009, but people
were fascinated by it and foretold the death of Squeak, even though
Pharo wasn't really different from Squeak+Polymorph back then:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?entry=3429226129
But they were proven wrong. Pharo 1.0 was beta at that time, while
Squeak's "New Community Developement Model" just started. Pharo 1.0 was
released on 15 April, 2010, while a week later (on 23 April, 2010) Squeak
4.1 was released which was far ahead of Pharo 1.0.

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:

> El mar, 24-08-2010 a las 20:47 -0700, Andreas Raab escribió:

>>> Come on Andreas, what is this attitude of letting your friends to say
>>> what they want but jumping to put a troll label to any other that think
>>> different, Isn't mature.
>>
>> I think it's perfectly mature to call a troll a troll while letting
>> people who are presenting criticism in good faith (such as Pavel) say
>> what they want to say. That is exactly the difference between the two.
>
> Well, I suppose that Levente's comment about the capabilities of the
> pharo developers is in good faith too and that is the reason that it is
> permitted in this list.
I think you totally misinterpreted my comment. Let me quote it here and
emphasize the part you missed:
"I think
Pharo lacks developers who have enough knowledge to touch those parts of
the system _and_ are willing to spend their time on it."

The "and" is very important, it's not "or" as you interpreted it.

>> Also, if this were your first troll, I'd give you a bit more leeway. But
>> it's not, you have a history of making inflammatory comments on this
>> list and I don't want others to fall for your trap.
>
> Considering your own history of burning very capable developers in the
> past and that you were a key player in the events that lead to the Pharo
> fork from Squeak, I suppose that I must feel very honored to be called a
> troll by you.
>

>> In short, if you're commenting with the purpose of improving Squeak,
>> you're welcome. If indeed that was your intention, then I'm looking
>> forward to your elaboration and contributions on how to improve Squeak.
>> However, if you're commenting with the only purpose of proving the
>> superiority of Pharo, you're not. You can post those comments on the
>> Pharo list where I'm sure they will be welcome.
>
> No, I'm not saying that Pharo is better that Squeak, in fact my response
> to Levente's comment was, just as his, preceded by IMHO. That is, no
> very humble from him nor from me.
>
> Now, he in fact suggested that the developers on Pharo were lesser
> capable (and maybe we are, but that don't stops us from improving Pharo
> a little each day) and that even by hiring full time developers, Pharo
> couldn't match the level of expertise that the squeak developers have.
See above.

> That is really not humble at all.
>
> Finally I was responding to a comment by Levente that seem to me very
> offensive to the Pharo developers. Had he say that in any other list I

See above.

Levente

> will have respond all the same, isn't a Squeak list trolling as you put
> it. So think what you want.
>

>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas
>>
>>> This is your private club it appears, by invite only. Good luck Pavel!

> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Nicolas Cellier
2010/8/26 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> didn't wanted that).
>>
>> Please, can you tell me for what target group of users the Squeak is
>> and how it differs from Pharo and EToys? Because I'm confused in that.
>
> Pharo originally targeted developers(*), but now it has the same target
> audience as Squeak.
>

> Levente
>
> (*) Though I didn't see Stephane's presentation at ESUG 2009, but people
> were fascinated by it and foretold the death of Squeak, even though Pharo
> wasn't really different from Squeak+Polymorph back then:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?entry=3429226129
> But they were proven wrong. Pharo 1.0 was beta at that time, while Squeak's
> "New Community Developement Model" just started. Pharo 1.0 was released on
> 15 April, 2010, while a week later (on 23 April, 2010) Squeak 4.1 was
> released which was far ahead of Pharo 1.0.

This is true, but in my sense entirely explained by the fact Pharo
barrier to commit is higher...
This is due to higher expectations in process quality...
... like filling http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list before any
change, and a bit more formal commit procedure (SLICES, test cases
etc...)
... and like reduced set of people taking responsibility to control
and integrate changes (the process is more demanding than Squeak which
is a weak point of Pharo organization so far).

Trunk organization is really light with lower expectations in process
quality, but is the prefect fit to my own taste, though i deplored
several times that important decisions are not really traced... (a
mailing list archive is not the ideal repository for these).

Nicolas

>> Cheers,
>> -- Pavel
>>
>>> Levente

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Andreas.Raab
On 8/26/2010 2:03 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> Trunk organization is really light with lower expectations in process
> quality, but is the prefect fit to my own taste, though i deplored
> several times that important decisions are not really traced... (a
> mailing list archive is not the ideal repository for these).

Well, in light of having more and better documentation, should we start
a HelpSystem book for documenting such issues as we go? It might
actually be a nice journal of the journey we're taking, that we talked
about etc. Alternatively, we could use a blog to write summaries of such
discussions.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

2010/8/26 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> On 8/26/2010 2:03 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>> Trunk organization is really light with lower expectations in process
>> quality, but is the prefect fit to my own taste, though i deplored
>> several times that important decisions are not really traced... (a
>> mailing list archive is not the ideal repository for these).
>
> Well, in light of having more and better documentation, should we start a
> HelpSystem book for documenting such issues as we go? It might actually be a
> nice journal of the journey we're taking, that we talked about etc.
> Alternatively, we could use a blog to write summaries of such discussions.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Yes, two nice alternatives.
Of course such effort does not come for free.
Maybe the collaborative option would be a bit more sustainable...

Nicolas

On 8/26/2010 12:32 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Those are "external" packages. Maybe they will replace the Compiler and
> Network packages in Pharo someday. But if they can be changed in Pharo,
> it's very likely that they can be changed in Squeak if needed. I think
> Ocean won't be succesful for networking with Alien and Opal will hardly
> have the same performance as the current compiler, though both packages
> have several other advantages.

I don't think the two are quite comparable. I haven't looked at the
details but isn't Opal basically NewCompiler with a better name? So I
would expect it to be fairly practical although probably quite a bit
slower. Last time I compared there was a 4x speed difference between
NewCompiler and NowCompiler (better name than "Old"Compiler :-) but I
don't know if that's still the case and with Cog you get a 3x speedup so
it may just work out :-)

Ocean on the other hand looks more like a demo than an actual working
library. There isn't even a loopback server implemented yet and so far
not even a hint about how to address socket notifications. See, the
problem is that from what I've seen it looks as if Ocean is making
blocking socket calls. Which makes it quite difficult to implement a
loopback server if your accept() call is blocking the VM and you simply
can't connect() to it. And unfortunately the simple solution to address
this (using a delay-driven polling select loop) performs and scales very
poorly. Good enough for a demo, sure, but not for production use.

The "real" solution to this problem -implementing a threaded FFI and
callback interface- on the other hand is *extremely* hard[*]. Eliot has
been working on this problem for several months now and we only just got
to the point where we can make *some* threaded calls but it's a long way
to go before there's going to be a general solution and it will probably
include a rewrite of the object memory and a new garbage collector.

So while I can see Opal actually being used if one is willing to accept
some performance impact, I severely doubt that any Seaside users will be
willing to replace the Squeak socket plugin with Ocean any time soon.

[*] FWIW, this is also why I don't really buy the argument that porting
to new platforms would be easier when using Ocean instead of the socket
plugin. In Squeak's plugin interface, anyone who understands C and
sockets can implement the support code. Which is not a huge number of
people but you can find them. But if the requirement for network support
is implementing a threaded callback interface on the underlying ABI and
platform, how many people do you know who could *possibly* do that? I
know exactly one, and we hired him.

What makes Squeak portable is that people can chip away on little bits
at a time. The first version of the Android VM didn't have socket
support (neither did the initial Windows port btw), but someone found
the time to work on it and now the support is there. And so there are
people here and there who can help but I don't think anyone of the
people who are helping with Android would be up for taking on the task
of writing any kind of FFI. In fact, if that had been a requirement I
would not even have started the port since I know to little about the
underlying ABI. But I *do* know how to use a C compiler, and I do know
sockets.

Oops. This is too long for a foot note. Apologies for the digression :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 8/26/10, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/8/26 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
>> On 8/26/2010 2:03 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>>
>>> Trunk organization is really light with lower expectations in process
>>> quality, but is the prefect fit to my own taste, though i deplored
>>> several times that important decisions are not really traced... (a
>>> mailing list archive is not the ideal repository for these).
>>
>> Well, in light of having more and better documentation, should we start a
>> HelpSystem book for documenting such issues as we go? It might actually be
>> nice journal of the journey we're taking, that we talked about etc.
>> Alternatively, we could use a blog to write summaries of such discussions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
>>

> Yes, two nice alternatives.
> Of course such effort does not come for free.
> Maybe the collaborative option would be a bit more sustainable...
>
> Nicolas

I'd like to have both. The HelpBook and the blog. In case this needs
some copy/pasting to get things from the blog to the HelpBook I am
volunteering to do that.

--Hannes

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Tobias Pape
Am 2010-08-27 um 12:17 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:

> On 8/26/10, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, in light of having more and better documentation, should we start a
>>> HelpSystem book for documenting such issues as we go? It might actually be
>>> nice journal of the journey we're taking, that we talked about etc.
>>> Alternatively, we could use a blog to write summaries of such discussions.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> - Andreas
>>>

>> Yes, two nice alternatives.
>> Of course such effort does not come for free.
>> Maybe the collaborative option would be a bit more sustainable...
>>
>> Nicolas
>
> I'd like to have both. The HelpBook and the blog. In case this needs
> some copy/pasting to get things from the blog to the HelpBook I am
> volunteering to do that.

Would it be so hard to have a Seaside Application take the HelpBook
and display it as a nice blog? No copy-paste then ;)

again just 2ct.

so long,
        -Tobias

Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Hannes Hirzel
It might need some editing work. The blog would contain the
discussions and the HelpBook what actually has been implemented
(including reasons why). The style would be a kind of diary or log
book entry style.

--Hannes

On 8/27/10, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 2010-08-27 um 12:17 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:

>>> Yes, two nice alternatives.
>>> Of course such effort does not come for free.
>>> Maybe the collaborative option would be a bit more sustainable...
>>>
>>> Nicolas
>>
>> I'd like to have both. The HelpBook and the blog. In case this needs
>> some copy/pasting to get things from the blog to the HelpBook I am
>> volunteering to do that.
>

> Would it be so hard to have a Seaside Application take the HelpBook
> and display it as a nice blog? No copy-paste then ;)
>
> again just 2ct.
>
> so long,
> -Tobias

123