Memory filling up

keith1y
I had some thing strange going on...

I had lots of instances of PRDocument, at one point it reported 88000...

The key to clearing them out appeared to be, re-initializing,
PRMacroExpander,

Inspecting PRMacroExpander default, the #table dictionary of blocks,
those blocks
had temps, with a #context defined, and that context had properties etc...

still it freed up 100Mb...

Keith

Re: Memory filling up

Lukas Renggli-2
> I had lots of instances of PRDocument, at one point it reported
> 88000...

I've never seen this issue before.

> The key to clearing them out appeared to be, re-initializing,
> PRMacroExpander,

This doesn't change the number of PRDocument instances in my image.

> Inspecting PRMacroExpander default, the #table dictionary of blocks,
> those blocks
> had temps, with a #context defined, and that context had properties
> etc...

Maybe the problem is that Squeak blocks are not really reentrant? But
then you should at least get a debugger.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Memory filling up

Lukas Renggli-2
I changed the macro expander to use accessors instead of blocks. If
you load the latest version of Magritte and Pier this issue should be
solved. If you don't have any custom macros defined, loading the code
should work out of the box.

Name: Pier-All-lr.284
Author: lr
Time: 24 April 2008, 8:52:30 am
UUID: cc09a278-7890-4fa2-b3ef-61ef2e787a15
Ancestors: Pier-All-lr.283
Dependencies: Pier-Model-lr.219, Pier-Tests-lr.94, Pier-Seaside-lr.
270, Pier-Security-lr.105, Pier-Blog-lr.73

- changed the macro expander to use accessors instead of blocks
(requires the latest magritte)
- macro expander was origianlly ported from smallwiki on vw, where
blocks are reentrant, however in squeak blocks potentially cause bad
things when used concurrently

On Apr 24, 2008, at 07:53 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I had lots of instances of PRDocument, at one point it reported
>> 88000...
>
> I've never seen this issue before.
>
>> The key to clearing them out appeared to be, re-initializing,
>> PRMacroExpander,
>
> This doesn't change the number of PRDocument instances in my image.
>
>> Inspecting PRMacroExpander default, the #table dictionary of blocks,
>> those blocks
>> had temps, with a #context defined, and that context had properties
>> etc...
>
> Maybe the problem is that Squeak blocks are not really reentrant? But
> then you should at least get a debugger.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Memory filling up

Lukas Renggli-2
Ahh, Keith: I removed your extension to reset the macro expander. I
guess this is not needed anymore? I don't like to have to reset things
to make bugs disappear ;-)

Lukas

On Apr 24, 2008, at 08:54 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I changed the macro expander to use accessors instead of blocks. If
> you load the latest version of Magritte and Pier this issue should be
> solved. If you don't have any custom macros defined, loading the code
> should work out of the box.
>
> Name: Pier-All-lr.284
> Author: lr
> Time: 24 April 2008, 8:52:30 am
> UUID: cc09a278-7890-4fa2-b3ef-61ef2e787a15
> Ancestors: Pier-All-lr.283
> Dependencies: Pier-Model-lr.219, Pier-Tests-lr.94, Pier-Seaside-lr.
> 270, Pier-Security-lr.105, Pier-Blog-lr.73
>
> - changed the macro expander to use accessors instead of blocks
> (requires the latest magritte)
> - macro expander was origianlly ported from smallwiki on vw, where
> blocks are reentrant, however in squeak blocks potentially cause bad
> things when used concurrently
>

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 07:53 , Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> I had lots of instances of PRDocument, at one point it reported
>>> 88000...
>>
>> I've never seen this issue before.
>>
>>> The key to clearing them out appeared to be, re-initializing,
>>> PRMacroExpander,
>>
>> This doesn't change the number of PRDocument instances in my image.
>>
>>> Inspecting PRMacroExpander default, the #table dictionary of blocks,
>>> those blocks
>>> had temps, with a #context defined, and that context had properties
>>> etc...
>>
>> Maybe the problem is that Squeak blocks are not really reentrant? But
>> then you should at least get a debugger.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch