Memory problem?

Bernat Romagosa
Hi all,

I'm having some (I guess) memory problems in Seaside, after a while using a running website, changing some pieces of code, refreshing, modifying CSS, etc. my squeak image starts running really slow, and the whole system gets terribly sluggish, so it is that I have to restart X11.

I know this is way too little information for a diagnose, but since I don't know which information should I give, I attach the memory usage at the exact time of the image beginning to get sluggish and the squeak log, which I was unable to understand. If you need it, I could also attach the website's .st file.

Oh BTW, I'm using Seaside 2.8 running on a Squeak 3.9-8 vm with Debian Lenny.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bernat.

2581 instances in 118.2 KiB
Class InstancesTotal Size
AnswerContinuation224
Array20311,640
Association4765,712
BlockContext31630,992
ByteString49522,528
Dictionary22352
ETDatabase18
ETRoot 10440
ETSession164
EscapeContinuation224
ExceptionSet224
HttpRequest256
IdentityDictionary24384
LargePositiveInteger324
MethodContext35334,396
OrderedCollection34680
ReadStream240
Socket256
SocketStream2112
WAActionCallback2455,880
WAAnchorTag7196
WAAnswerHandler232
WACallbackRegistry16256
WACallbackStream232
WACancelActionCallback7168
WACurrentSession2 56
WADivTag7168
WAFormDecoration232
WAFormTag7196
WAGenericTag7196
WAHtmlAttributes35700
WALRUCache120
WAPrettyPrintedDocument248
WARedirectContinuation8128
WARenderCanvas16384
WARenderContinuation14 280
WARenderLoop224
WARenderNotification128
WARenderingContext16576
WARequest272
WAResponse256
WASmallDictionary21420
WASnapshot22264
WASubmitButtonTag 7168
WAUrl281,120
WAValueCallback14336
WAValueHolder1301,560
WAViewer248
WAWindowDecoration240

--
O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

SqueakDebug.log (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Memory problem?

Ryan Simmons-2
Can you open a process browser in squeak when it happens.

I have had simillar behaviour when there is an infinite loop somewhere
in the code.

2009/4/22 AxiNat <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some (I guess) memory problems in Seaside, after a while using a
> running website, changing some pieces of code, refreshing, modifying CSS,
> etc. my squeak image starts running really slow, and the whole system gets
> terribly sluggish, so it is that I have to restart X11.
>
> I know this is way too little information for a diagnose, but since I don't
> know which information should I give, I attach the memory usage at the exact
> time of the image beginning to get sluggish and the squeak log, which I was
> unable to understand. If you need it, I could also attach the website's .st
> file.
>
> Oh BTW, I'm using Seaside 2.8 running on a Squeak 3.9-8 vm with Debian
> Lenny.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Bernat.
>
> 2581 instances in 118.2 KiB
> ClassInstancesTotal Size
> AnswerContinuation224
> Array20311,640
> Association4765,712
> BlockContext31630,992
> ByteString49522,528
> Dictionary22352
> ETDatabase18
> ETRoot10440
> ETSession164
> EscapeContinuation224
> ExceptionSet224
> HttpRequest256
> IdentityDictionary24384
> LargePositiveInteger324
> MethodContext35334,396
> OrderedCollection34680
> ReadStream240
> Socket256
> SocketStream2112
> WAActionCallback2455,880
> WAAnchorTag7196
> WAAnswerHandler232
> WACallbackRegistry16256
> WACallbackStream232
> WACancelActionCallback7168
> WACurrentSession256
> WADivTag7168
> WAFormDecoration232
> WAFormTag7196
> WAGenericTag7196
> WAHtmlAttributes35700
> WALRUCache120
> WAPrettyPrintedDocument248
> WARedirectContinuation8128
> WARenderCanvas16384
> WARenderContinuation14280
> WARenderLoop224
> WARenderNotification128
> WARenderingContext16576
> WARequest272
> WAResponse256
> WASmallDictionary21420
> WASnapshot22264
> WASubmitButtonTag7168
> WAUrl281,120
> WAValueCallback14336
> WAValueHolder1301,560
> WAViewer248
> WAWindowDecoration240
>
> --
> O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Memory problem?

Bernat Romagosa
Hi, thanks for your answer, I can't do did what you pointed to me because when the image hangs I can't do absolutely anything, but I found out there's a lot of TcpListener processes running even before the problem occurs:

Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs:
Socket>>waitForConnectionFor:
ifTimedOut:
Socket>>waitForAcceptFor:
ifTimedOut:
[] in TcpListener>>pvtListenLoop: {[socket := listener     waitForAcceptFor: self acceptTimeout     ifTimedOut:...]}
BlockContext>>ifCurtailed:
[] in TcpListener>>pvtListenLoop: {[[socket := listener     waitForAcceptFor: self acceptTimeout     ifTimedOut...]}
Process class>>terminationOkDuring:
[] in TcpListener>>pvtListenLoop: {[Process   terminationOkDuring: [[socket := listener       waitForAcceptFor:...]}
BlockContext>>whileTrue:
TcpListener>>pvtListenLoop:
[] in TcpListener>>listenWhile: {[self pvtListenLoop: aBlock]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
TcpListener>>listenWhile:
[] in HttpService(TcpService)>>
runWhile: {[(TcpListener on: self portNumber handler: self)   listenWhile: aBlock]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
HttpService(TcpService)>>
runWhile:
[] in HttpService(
ApplicationService)>>start {[self   runWhile: [stopSignal isNil     and: [process == Processor activePro...]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
[] in HttpService(
ApplicationService)>>start {[[self   runWhile: [stopSignal isNil     and: [process == Processor activePr...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:

Anyways, I narrowed the problem a little bit, I just fanks!ound out it only happens when I edit the CSS from within the website, so it's not such a serious issue anymore, but I'd still like to know what did I do wrong...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bernat

2009/4/23 Ryan Simmons <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> WAGenericTag7196
> WAHtmlAttributes35700
> WALRUCache120
> WAPrettyPrintedDocument248
> WARedirectContinuation8128
> WARenderCanvas16384
> WARenderContinuation14280
> WARenderLoop224
> WARenderNotification128
> WARenderingContext16576
> WARequest272
> WAResponse256
> WASmallDictionary21420
> WASnapshot22264
> WASubmitButtonTag7168
> WAUrl281,120
> WAValueCallback14336
> WAValueHolder1301,560
> WAViewer248
> WAWindowDecoration240
>
> --
> O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Oh sorry for the misspellings, touchpads suck... ;)

--
O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

RE: Memory problem?

Sebastian Sastre-2
+1. It sounds like an infinite loop.
You can try showing process browser and debug seaside related proceces. Maybe
you can confirm something suspicius
sebastian

Thanks all, I got it solved!

It really was something stupid I didn't remember to comment out, which resulted in an endless self-calling of self unregister... duh

Thanks again!