Memory problems on Windows

Jimmie Houchin-5
Hello,

I am developing an application which processes and generates a large
amount of data. In a recent attempt I encountered an Space is Low error.

This is occurring in a Pharo 1.1 image using the latest Pharo and Cog
VMs. I am opening the vm with the -memory: 1000 parameter.
The below code I have applied the from the Squeak list from the 100
Million Objects thread. But the problem occurs at about 500mb of ram on
a computer with 3 (or 6) gb of ram, with only 65% of physical ram in
use. The os is Vista.

Any help in using more memory, as much as necessary for the app, would
be greatly appreciated.

initializeMemorySettings
  "Initialize the memory and GC settings to be more in line with QF
requirements"

  "The following settings affect the rate incremental GCs and tenuring"

  "Limit incremental GC activity to run every 40k allocations"
   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 5 put: 40000. "allocations
between GCs (default: 4000)"
  "Limit tenuring threshold to only tenure w/ > 10k survivors"
   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 6 put: 10000. "tenuring
threshold (default: 2000)"

  "These settings affect overall memory usage"

  "Only give memory back to the OS when we have more than 16MB free"
   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 24 put: 16*1024*1024. "default 8MB"
  "Try to keep 8MB headroom at all times"
   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 25 put: 8*1024*1024. "default 4MB"
  "These settings describe what to do when we're close to running out of
free space"

  "Tell the VM that we'd rather grow than spinning in tight GC loops"
   SmalltalkImage current gcBiasToGrow: true. "default: false"
   "Tell the VM to do a fullGC for good measure if the above growth
exceeded 16MB"
   SmalltalkImage current gcBiasToGrowLimit: 16*1024*1024. "default: 0"

Thanks,

Jimmie Houchin

Re: Memory problems on Windows

Stéphane Ducasse
do you have the same problem with the normal VM?

On Sep 1, 2010, at 5:25 AM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am developing an application which processes and generates a large amount of data. In a recent attempt I encountered an Space is Low error.
>
> This is occurring in a Pharo 1.1 image using the latest Pharo and Cog VMs. I am opening the vm with the -memory: 1000 parameter.
> The below code I have applied the from the Squeak list from the 100 Million Objects thread. But the problem occurs at about 500mb of ram on a computer with 3 (or 6) gb of ram, with only 65% of physical ram in use. The os is Vista.
>
> Any help in using more memory, as much as necessary for the app, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> initializeMemorySettings
> "Initialize the memory and GC settings to be more in line with QF requirements"
>
> "The following settings affect the rate incremental GCs and tenuring"
>
> "Limit incremental GC activity to run every 40k allocations"
>  SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 5 put: 40000. "allocations between GCs (default: 4000)"
> "Limit tenuring threshold to only tenure w/ > 10k survivors"
>  SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 6 put: 10000. "tenuring threshold (default: 2000)"
>
> "These settings affect overall memory usage"
>
> "Only give memory back to the OS when we have more than 16MB free"
>  SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 24 put: 16*1024*1024. "default 8MB"
> "Try to keep 8MB headroom at all times"
>  SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 25 put: 8*1024*1024. "default 4MB"
> "These settings describe what to do when we're close to running out of free space"
>
> "Tell the VM that we'd rather grow than spinning in tight GC loops"
>  SmalltalkImage current gcBiasToGrow: true. "default: false"
>  "Tell the VM to do a fullGC for good measure if the above growth exceeded 16MB"
>  SmalltalkImage current gcBiasToGrowLimit: 16*1024*1024. "default: 0"
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmie Houchin

Re: Memory problems on Windows

Jimmie Houchin-5
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in reply. For some reason the first time I looked at
your message in my newsreader (Thunderbird/GMane) the message was in
French and written to someone else. Apparently the software did
something strange.

To answer your question. Yes. I tried this in both the standard vm and
the standard Pharo 1.1 image.

I start the vm/image with -memory: 1000
and open a new Workspace, then copy the below memory settings and doit.
I then do  a := Array new: 100000000.

That seemingly succeeds but only takes me up to a little below 500mb
ram. If I attempt to do another array of another 100,000,000 objects, I
get the Low Space error.

With the standard vm and image, it just sits there consuming cpu with
simply doing the array initialization. I am on a quad core server with
6gm ram and it has currently consumed over 36 cpu minutes of one of the
cores. At this point I quit the image. I could do things in the UI but
it is not very responsive.

In the Cog vm/image, the array creation returns almost immediately and
waits for other instructions.

As I write this I have to go back to Squeak 3.7.1vm and either the 3.8
or 3.10 image, for it to be successful. Outside of that I can't get past
500mb of ram. This server generally sits at only using 30% of ram.

For enterprise/business endeavors, I thing Pharo really needs to be able
to use all the memory the OS will allow it. I know that it being a 32
bit app does create some limits on some OSes. But neither of my Vista
machines imposes a limit that I can't live with at the moment.

Thanks for your reply. I am neither a vm nor Smalltalk expert so I don't
know how to proceed from here outside of reducing my applications memory
needs by putting more into the database and only having the data in
memory that is absolutely necessary for the analysis I am attempting.

Jimmie

On 9/1/2010 4:48 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> do you have the same problem with the normal VM?
>
> On Sep 1, 2010, at 5:25 AM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am developing an application which processes and generates a large amount of data. In a recent attempt I encountered an Space is Low error.
>>
>> This is occurring in a Pharo 1.1 image using the latest Pharo and Cog VMs. I am opening the vm with the -memory: 1000 parameter.
>> The below code I have applied the from the Squeak list from the 100 Million Objects thread. But the problem occurs at about 500mb of ram on a computer with 3 (or 6) gb of ram, with only 65% of physical ram in use. The os is Vista.
>>
>> Any help in using more memory, as much as necessary for the app, would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> initializeMemorySettings
>> "Initialize the memory and GC settings to be more in line with QF requirements"
>>
>> "The following settings affect the rate incremental GCs and tenuring"
>>
>> "Limit incremental GC activity to run every 40k allocations"
>>   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 5 put: 40000. "allocations between GCs (default: 4000)"
>> "Limit tenuring threshold to only tenure w/>  10k survivors"
>>   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 6 put: 10000. "tenuring threshold (default: 2000)"
>>
>> "These settings affect overall memory usage"
>>
>> "Only give memory back to the OS when we have more than 16MB free"
>>   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 24 put: 16*1024*1024. "default 8MB"
>> "Try to keep 8MB headroom at all times"
>>   SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 25 put: 8*1024*1024. "default 4MB"
>> "These settings describe what to do when we're close to running out of free space"
>>
>> "Tell the VM that we'd rather grow than spinning in tight GC loops"
>>   SmalltalkImage current gcBiasToGrow: true. "default: false"
>>   "Tell the VM to do a fullGC for good measure if the above growth exceeded 16MB"
>>   SmalltalkImage current gcBiasToGrowLimit: 16*1024*1024. "default: 0"
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jimmie Houchin

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: Memory problems on Windows

Andreas.Raab
There is indeed a hard limit of 512MB in the Windows VM currently in
effect, which is the result of debugging some extremely strange effects
when loading DLLs. What we found was that on some systems, under some
circumstances (related to memory load etc) DLLs would not be loaded if
we'd reserve more than 512MB of memory leading the application either to
not start at all, or to cause weird effects at later points etc.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 9/4/2010 2:28 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> There is indeed a hard limit of 512MB in the Windows VM currently in
> effect, which is the result of debugging some extremely strange effects
> when loading DLLs. What we found was that on some systems, under some
> circumstances (related to memory load etc) DLLs would not be loaded if
> we'd reserve more than 512MB of memory leading the application either to
> not start at all, or to cause weird effects at later points etc.
>
> Cheers,
> - Andreas

Thanks Andreas for the explanation. When I re-read the 100 Million
Objects thread, you mentioned that limit but I thought that you had
removed it. Which may be why the 3.7.1 vm with the 3.8 image went up to
800+ mb of ram. But then it started acting strange.

Unfortunately I have to interface with Windows COM libraries for
business reasons. So currently Windows is required. Later I hope to
upgrade to using the Java libraries which would release me from Windows
and allow me to use Linux or OS X. Presently I am using Python to
interface the COM libraries and then communicate with Squeak/Pharo via http.

Since I know I have a hard limit, I'll quit trying to get it to work. :)

Thanks again.

Jimmie Houchin