Mercurial

keith1y
Having started to look at distributing the fruits of my labours,  I
discovered that  Mercurial doesnt just clone my latest when I push a
ChangeSet, but it pushes all of my work including all revisions as well.
This may be ok when working with a few small text files, but I dont
think it scales to squeak images.

I think that a slightly more clever scheme is needed to manage squeak
projects in mercurial.

My suggestion would be to have the repository to handle all of the text
files and scripts. Then have the images (generated from the textfile
scripts anyway) published as a patches, which can be separately managed.
I need to investigate more.

Goran,

I have Completed a build on demo.gjallar.se and it is residing in the
/home/gjallar/keith/newgjallar directory. I havent pushed it yet,
because I am conscious of how much larger it will make the clone for
everyone.

Keith

Re: Mercurial

Göran Krampe
Hi Keith!

I suspect this was meant to go to the setools list. Anyway:

Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Having started to look at distributing the fruits of my labours,  I
> discovered that  Mercurial doesnt just clone my latest when I push a
> ChangeSet, but it pushes all of my work including all revisions as well.
> This may be ok when working with a few small text files, but I dont
> think it scales to squeak images.
>
> I think that a slightly more clever scheme is needed to manage squeak
> projects in mercurial.

The idea was never to actually "manage" the image - I was not expecting
lots and lots of changesets involving those files - only when we had a
new improved and built image to share.

So in other words - don't commit the image locally until you are
satisfied with it and intend to share it as the next revision of the
prebuilt dev image.

> My suggestion would be to have the repository to handle all of the text
> files and scripts. Then have the images (generated from the textfile
> scripts anyway) published as a patches, which can be separately managed.

I agree that large binaries are a problem generally but I think in this
case we just need to follow my advice above :).

> I need to investigate more.
>
> Goran,
>
> I have Completed a build on demo.gjallar.se and it is residing in the
> /home/gjallar/keith/newgjallar directory. I havent pushed it yet,
> because I am conscious of how much larger it will make the clone for
> everyone.

Ah. Right, didn't think of that. Ok, then yes, perhaps we should
distribute the image pair on the side somehow.

Btw, the intention was never to actually manage the image - only the
rest of the filetree.

regards, Göran