Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks: I previous Dev images I remember the Mercury bar in OB to search for classes and methods. Now, in the last Dev Beta Image I built, there was not mercury :(

I have completely no idea where that bar is or how to install it. Moreover, now we are using Lukas' OB.

Does someone know how to install it so that I can put it again ? should that bring problems ?

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Lukas Renggli
> Hi folks: I previous Dev images I remember the Mercury bar in OB to search
> for classes and methods. Now, in the last Dev Beta Image I built, there was
> not mercury :(

You enable it in the preferences. I never got used to it and prefer to
use the screen estate otherwise, therefore I disabled it by default.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks: I previous Dev images I remember the Mercury bar in OB to search
> for classes and methods. Now, in the last Dev Beta Image I built, there was
> not mercury :(

You enable it in the preferences. I never got used to it and prefer to
use the screen estate otherwise, therefore I disabled it by default.

Thanks Lukas. Indeed, it worked and that was the difference between to images. I will set it again for next image. I think it is useful and it was in the previous images. It was my mistake.

Anyway, you don't use PharoDev images ;)

Now...what's "screen state"  ??

Thanks!

Mariano

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Lukas Renggli
> Thanks Lukas. Indeed, it worked and that was the difference between to
> images. I will set it again for next image. I think it is useful and it was
> in the previous images. It was my mistake.
>
> Anyway, you don't use PharoDev images ;)
>
> Now...what's "screen state"  ??

estate, an area or amount of land or property, in particular

Some people never use the mercury panel, some never use the annotation
panel, some never use the button panel. For them, the panels they
never use, is a waste of space and time.

The question is if anybody is really using and understanding it (other
than just typing a class name)? If I remember correctly it is planned
to remove the code from OB.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Simon Denier-3

On 18 janv. 2010, at 19:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:

Thanks Lukas. Indeed, it worked and that was the difference between to
images. I will set it again for next image. I think it is useful and it was
in the previous images. It was my mistake.

Anyway, you don't use PharoDev images ;)

Now...what's "screen state"  ??

estate, an area or amount of land or property, in particular

Some people never use the mercury panel, some never use the annotation
panel, some never use the button panel. For them, the panels they
never use, is a waste of space and time.

The question is if anybody is really using and understanding it (other
than just typing a class name)? If I remember correctly it is planned
to remove the code from OB.

Yes I use it all the time. I find it more usable than Algernon or even Working Set when I'm looking for class refs/method users.
In O2, there is a help text by default which sums up the syntax:
- AClass (starting with upper case) when looking for a class
- aMethod (starting with lower case) when looking for a method
- #AClass, references to AClass
- #aMethod, senders of aMethod
- 'hello world', look for substring 'hello world' in method strings

Of course it is also completion-enabled :)

It would be cool if it had a shorcut for Siblings, like in WorkingSet
- !AClass
- !aMethod

It's also true that it eats space for each browser. I think it's should be easy to put a unique search field in a task bar. As part of my Morphic experiments, I played a bit with this idea. As an example, you can perform the following in a workspace (unfortunately it opens two browsers, but should be difficult to tweak).

(OBMercuryQuery from: '''hello''' panel: (OBPanel new browser: SystemBrowser default browserClass open model)) find

--
 Simon

Re: Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Stéphane Ducasse
may be having it as floating window that populate a (the current) browser on the fly could be fun?

On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:42 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 18 janv. 2010, at 19:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> Thanks Lukas. Indeed, it worked and that was the difference between to
>>> images. I will set it again for next image. I think it is useful and it was
>>> in the previous images. It was my mistake.
>>>
>>> Anyway, you don't use PharoDev images ;)
>>>
>>> Now...what's "screen state"  ??
>>
>> estate, an area or amount of land or property, in particular
>>
>> Some people never use the mercury panel, some never use the annotation
>> panel, some never use the button panel. For them, the panels they
>> never use, is a waste of space and time.
>>
>> The question is if anybody is really using and understanding it (other
>> than just typing a class name)? If I remember correctly it is planned
>> to remove the code from OB.
>>

> Yes I use it all the time. I find it more usable than Algernon or even Working Set when I'm looking for class refs/method users.
> In O2, there is a help text by default which sums up the syntax:
> - AClass (starting with upper case) when looking for a class
> - aMethod (starting with lower case) when looking for a method
> - #AClass, references to AClass
> - #aMethod, senders of aMethod
> - 'hello world', look for substring 'hello world' in method strings
>
> Of course it is also completion-enabled :)
>
> It would be cool if it had a shorcut for Siblings, like in WorkingSet
> - !AClass
> - !aMethod
>

> It's also true that it eats space for each browser. I think it's should be easy to put a unique search field in a task bar. As part of my Morphic experiments, I played a bit with this idea. As an example, you can perform the following in a workspace (unfortunately it opens two browsers, but should be difficult to tweak).
>
> (OBMercuryQuery from: '''hello''' panel: (OBPanel new browser: SystemBrowser default browserClass open model)) find
>

> --
>  Simon

Re: Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Instead of do that, I would improve Algernon or WorkingSet to fit your requirements.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
may be having it as floating window that populate a (the current) browser on the fly could be fun?

On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:42 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 18 janv. 2010, at 19:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> Thanks Lukas. Indeed, it worked and that was the difference between to
>>> images. I will set it again for next image. I think it is useful and it was
>>> in the previous images. It was my mistake.
>>>
>>> Anyway, you don't use PharoDev images ;)
>>>
>>> Now...what's "screen state"  ??
>>
>> estate, an area or amount of land or property, in particular
>>
>> Some people never use the mercury panel, some never use the annotation
>> panel, some never use the button panel. For them, the panels they
>> never use, is a waste of space and time.
>>
>> The question is if anybody is really using and understanding it (other
>> than just typing a class name)? If I remember correctly it is planned
>> to remove the code from OB.
>>

> Yes I use it all the time. I find it more usable than Algernon or even Working Set when I'm looking for class refs/method users.
> In O2, there is a help text by default which sums up the syntax:
> - AClass (starting with upper case) when looking for a class
> - aMethod (starting with lower case) when looking for a method
> - #AClass, references to AClass
> - #aMethod, senders of aMethod
> - 'hello world', look for substring 'hello world' in method strings
>
> Of course it is also completion-enabled :)
>
> It would be cool if it had a shorcut for Siblings, like in WorkingSet
> - !AClass
> - !aMethod
>

> It's also true that it eats space for each browser. I think it's should be easy to put a unique search field in a task bar. As part of my Morphic experiments, I played a bit with this idea. As an example, you can perform the following in a workspace (unfortunately it opens two browsers, but should be difficult to tweak).
>
> (OBMercuryQuery from: '''hello''' panel: (OBPanel new browser: SystemBrowser default browserClass open model)) find
>

> --
>  Simon

Re: Mercury bar [WAS] Search in Pharo (and other Smalltalkices) what is out there?

Stefan Marr-4
> Yes I use it all the time. I find it more usable than Algernon or even Working Set when I'm looking for class refs/method users.
> In O2, there is a help text by default which sums up the syntax:
> - AClass (starting with upper case) when looking for a class
> - aMethod (starting with lower case) when looking for a method
> - #AClass, references to AClass
> - #aMethod, senders of aMethod
> - 'hello world', look for substring 'hello world' in method strings
Very good to know. Thank you for the explanation.
It is indeed very helpful.
If it stays in the standard browser (I am using the images how they are delivered...)
such a help text would be great.

Helps with "learning/discovering by using" which at least for me is the way to go in a modern IDE.
Reading a manual is a nice concept, but I usually don't apply it :-/

Best
Stefan

> Of course it is also completion-enabled :)
>
> It would be cool if it had a shorcut for Siblings, like in WorkingSet
> - !AClass
> - !aMethod
>

> It's also true that it eats space for each browser. I think it's should be easy to put a unique search field in a task bar. As part of my Morphic experiments, I played a bit with this idea. As an example, you can perform the following in a workspace (unfortunately it opens two browsers, but should be difficult to tweak).
>
> (OBMercuryQuery from: '''hello''' panel: (OBPanel new browser: SystemBrowser default browserClass open model)) find
>

> --
>  Simon

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab