Merlin help request

jfabry
Hi all,

I am looking at Merlin to build an import wizard for AspectMaps (current solution works but could be improved). Merlin looks cool but I have trouble understanding how everything works, and what is possible, from the examples. Please forgive me if the question below is an obvious thing / FAQ.

The setup is as follows: From a first pane I get a filename, I need to parse that file to extract a list of N items. In the second pane I want the list of N items, each as a checkbox, ie N checkboxes. Then the next panes are 'generated' for each selected checkbox. These panes repeat the item, ask for a filename and a selection from radio button. Then a pane that is optional, depending on the radio button state of all the previous panes (+ internal state of the app). At the end an 'you have successfully imported blah' pane would be cool but is not required (I can use a dialog box for that).

Now I have the first pane up and running, but the second panes and beyond I have no idea on how to do this. I dont find in the examples how to dynamically build a group of radio buttons, nor to dynamically build agroup of panes / select which is the next pane to show. Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks in advance!
--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry

Re: Merlin help request

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Johan,

Vanessa, a student from the DCC, added some unit tests for Merlin. Have you checked them?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 20 Dec 2010, at 17:12, Johan Fabry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at Merlin to build an import wizard for AspectMaps (current solution works but could be improved). Merlin looks cool but I have trouble understanding how everything works, and what is possible, from the examples. Please forgive me if the question below is an obvious thing / FAQ.
>
> The setup is as follows: From a first pane I get a filename, I need to parse that file to extract a list of N items. In the second pane I want the list of N items, each as a checkbox, ie N checkboxes. Then the next panes are 'generated' for each selected checkbox. These panes repeat the item, ask for a filename and a selection from radio button. Then a pane that is optional, depending on the radio button state of all the previous panes (+ internal state of the app). At the end an 'you have successfully imported blah' pane would be cool but is not required (I can use a dialog box for that).
>
> Now I have the first pane up and running, but the second panes and beyond I have no idea on how to do this. I dont find in the examples how to dynamically build a group of radio buttons, nor to dynamically build agroup of panes / select which is the next pane to show. Can anybody help me out here?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Merlin help request

cdelaunay
Hello johan,

Maybe this part of merlin (change dynamically a wizard) looks a bit 'hacky', but this is how I would do:
=> send a callback on the part used to retreive the filename (as parameter of this callback, you will have the selected fileName 'calback: [:filename | ... ]').
=> Inside this callback you should then be able to make the computation you want about the filename and create a new pane (with the wanted checkBoxes), and add it to the wizard (addPane:).
=> I guess you can do the same in the second pane: Having a callback for each checkbox, so that if the user select one, a new pane is created and added.

Does it answer to your question ?

2010/12/20 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
Hi Johan,

Vanessa, a student from the DCC, added some unit tests for Merlin. Have you checked them?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 20 Dec 2010, at 17:12, Johan Fabry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at Merlin to build an import wizard for AspectMaps (current solution works but could be improved). Merlin looks cool but I have trouble understanding how everything works, and what is possible, from the examples. Please forgive me if the question below is an obvious thing / FAQ.
>
> The setup is as follows: From a first pane I get a filename, I need to parse that file to extract a list of N items. In the second pane I want the list of N items, each as a checkbox, ie N checkboxes. Then the next panes are 'generated' for each selected checkbox. These panes repeat the item, ask for a filename and a selection from radio button. Then a pane that is optional, depending on the radio button state of all the previous panes (+ internal state of the app). At the end an 'you have successfully imported blah' pane would be cool but is not required (I can use a dialog box for that).
>
> Now I have the first pane up and running, but the second panes and beyond I have no idea on how to do this. I dont find in the examples how to dynamically build a group of radio buttons, nor to dynamically build agroup of panes / select which is the next pane to show. Can anybody help me out here?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Merlin help request

cdelaunay
I just added a small example (modifyingWizardStructureInCallbacks) than can fit with what you are looking for. You will see it in the merlin-examples category by loading the last version of Merlin.
By the way, merlin does not yet provide a complete API that cover all possible things to do in a wizard (I think for now it just cover all I needed :)). But I would be happy to add some new things to do in my task list if there is something you would like to have, something to improve

2010/12/21 Cyrille Delaunay <[hidden email]>
Hello johan,

Maybe this part of merlin (change dynamically a wizard) looks a bit 'hacky', but this is how I would do:
=> send a callback on the part used to retreive the filename (as parameter of this callback, you will have the selected fileName 'calback: [:filename | ... ]').
=> Inside this callback you should then be able to make the computation you want about the filename and create a new pane (with the wanted checkBoxes), and add it to the wizard (addPane:).
=> I guess you can do the same in the second pane: Having a callback for each checkbox, so that if the user select one, a new pane is created and added.

Does it answer to your question ?

2010/12/20 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>

Hi Johan,

Vanessa, a student from the DCC, added some unit tests for Merlin. Have you checked them?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 20 Dec 2010, at 17:12, Johan Fabry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at Merlin to build an import wizard for AspectMaps (current solution works but could be improved). Merlin looks cool but I have trouble understanding how everything works, and what is possible, from the examples. Please forgive me if the question below is an obvious thing / FAQ.
>
> The setup is as follows: From a first pane I get a filename, I need to parse that file to extract a list of N items. In the second pane I want the list of N items, each as a checkbox, ie N checkboxes. Then the next panes are 'generated' for each selected checkbox. These panes repeat the item, ask for a filename and a selection from radio button. Then a pane that is optional, depending on the radio button state of all the previous panes (+ internal state of the app). At the end an 'you have successfully imported blah' pane would be cool but is not required (I can use a dialog box for that).
>
> Now I have the first pane up and running, but the second panes and beyond I have no idea on how to do this. I dont find in the examples how to dynamically build a group of radio buttons, nor to dynamically build agroup of panes / select which is the next pane to show. Can anybody help me out here?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Merlin help request

jfabry
Hi Cyrille,

thanks for explaining this, and for the extra example. I see how I can do this now.

I have been trying the callback with a ChooseFilePart, but nothing happens, so I guess this is a bug. Could you take a look at that at some point? Thanks in advance!