MessageDialogWindow(s)

Rob Rothwell
Hello,

In Pharo 5.0 #50680

MessageDialogWindow new open

displays a message box with no text.

Should

(MessageDialogWindow new text: 'Hello') open

work?

I get a stack trace on CompositionScanner if I try to set the text.

Also, is there a way to display the dialog modally (relative to your application)?

Thank you,

Rob

Re: MessageDialogWindow(s)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 11-04-16 02:00, Robert J Rothwell wrote:
> Should
>
> (MessageDialogWindow new text: 'Hello') open
>
> work?
>
> I get a stack trace on CompositionScanner if I try to set the text.

Yes. Please open a bug entry. (If you want to help, try with a few older
versions
of pharo to find out when the bug was introduced)
> Also, is there a way to display the dialog modally (relative to your application)?

Take a look at Morph>openModal:

Stephan

Re: MessageDialogWindow(s)

Nicolai Hess-3-2

On 11-04-16 02:00, Robert J Rothwell wrote:
Should

        (MessageDialogWindow new text: 'Hello') open

work?

I get a stack trace on CompositionScanner if I try to set the text.

Yes. Please open a bug entry. (If you want to help, try with a few older versions
of pharo to find out when the bug was introduced)

Yes, maybe MessageDialogWindow should init the font with a default font.

Also, is there a way to display the dialog modally (relative to your application)?

Take a look at Morph>openModal:

Stephan

And this DialogWindow classes are used by UITheme, for example

Smalltalk ui theme messageIn:World text:'Some MessageText' title:'The Title'.
or for long messages:
Smalltalk ui theme longMessageIn:World text: ProfStef pharoZenValuesContents  title:'Pharo Zen'.

The "World" argument specifies to which Window this Dialog should be modal.

Re: MessageDialogWindow(s)

Rob Rothwell
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:52 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11-04-16 02:00, Robert J Rothwell wrote:
Should

        (MessageDialogWindow new text: 'Hello') open

work?

I get a stack trace on CompositionScanner if I try to set the text.

Yes. Please open a bug entry. (If you want to help, try with a few older versions
of pharo to find out when the bug was introduced)

Where can I learn how to open a bug entry and/or how to submit a fix?

Yes, maybe MessageDialogWindow should init the font with a default font.

You are correct; adding:

MessageDialogWindow>>initialize
^super initialize textFont: (Smalltalk ui theme textFont)

Corrects the problem in Pharo 4.0 and Pharo 5.0

Also, is there a way to display the dialog modally (relative to your application)?

Take a look at Morph>openModal:

Thank you!

Stephan

And this DialogWindow classes are used by UITheme, for example

Smalltalk ui theme messageIn:World text:'Some MessageText' title:'The Title'.
or for long messages:
Smalltalk ui theme longMessageIn:World text: ProfStef pharoZenValuesContents  title:'Pharo Zen'.

The "World" argument specifies to which Window this Dialog should be modal.

This seems like what I should have done in the first place!

Rob

Re: MessageDialogWindow(s)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 11/04/16 18:53, Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Where can I learn how to open a bug entry and/or how to submit a fix?

http://pharo.org/contribute

Create an account at pharo.fogbugz.com,
log in and add a new issue. Select the
image version the bug should be fixed
against and the priority. Describe it by
copying the relevant information from
these posts.

A fix is created by taking the latest
version of the pharo image (of the right version),
making the change there, ideally adding a a test
that fails in the buggy situation and succeeds
with the fix. In Monticello, create a slice
containing only the packages that you needed to change.
If you type the issue number in the slice field,
its description will be automatically downloaded.
Commit the slice to the pharo inbox for the right version,
copy the commit text to the clipboard. (that assumes that
you signed the contributors license agreement and have
commit rights to the inbox).

In the issue tracker, click on resolve, paste the
commit text and select Resolved (Fix Review Needed).
That will trigger the Monkey to run system tests.
Once it passes, someone else should review the fix
so it can be Resolved (Fix To Include).

(Sometimes, the monkey times out, and you need to tell
it to run again).

Stephan

Rob

Re: MessageDialogWindow(s)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 12/04/16 08:56, stepharo wrote:
> can you submit a fix?

17979 (MessageDialogWindow new text: 'Hello') open should work

[video] How to open an issue and submit a fix

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 11/04/16 18:53, Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Where can I learn how to open a bug entry and/or how to submit a fix?

https://vimeo.com/162493974

Re: MessageDialogWindow(s)

Rob Rothwell

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:05 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/04/16 08:56, stepharo wrote:
can you submit a fix?

17979 (MessageDialogWindow new text: 'Hello') open should work

Thanks, Stephan...I apologize for my slowness...

Re: [video] How to open an issue and submit a fix

Rob Rothwell

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:22 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/04/16 18:53, Rob Rothwell wrote:
Where can I learn how to open a bug entry and/or how to submit a fix?

https://vimeo.com/162493974

Thanks again, Stephan.  I'll watch this and see if I can figure it out!

Re: MessageDialogWindow(s)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 12-04-16 14:25, Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Thanks, Stephan...I apologize for my slowness...
No problem, mailing list is asynchronous.
Sometimes you have time, sometimes not

Stephan