Meta-information in MSE files

jannik laval
Hi,

When I load MSE files, I would like to know which kind of information is inside the file. I think we should think about a solution.
Here is the problem:

- I can generate a mse file with a generic FAMIX model.
- I can generate a mse file with a model containing FAMIXEclipsePlugin entities
- I can also generate a mse file with mensana informations

When I use a new image, few weeks after, I do not remember the plugins I used. And it is not possible to load the file. The problem is when the time of loading is more than 10 minutes and crash after 9 minutes, I am frustrated :)

I propose a solution and I would like to discuss about this problem.
I think that we could have a meta information that lists all type of entities in the mse file (for example: (FAMIXClass, FAMIXMethod, FAMIXPackage...)). This information would be checked before the importation and inform the developer if some classes are not present in the system.
After that, we can imagine that the developer has the choice between installing the classes or loading a partial model.

What are your opinions ?
---
Jannik Laval

Re: Meta-information in MSE files

abergel
Just wondering, for which situation this happened ?

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Meta-information in MSE files

jannik laval
I have some mse files,
And some of them have FAMIXEclipsePlugins inside... but I don't remember which ones.

I see that only when I load them

Jannik

On Sep 26, 2011, at 13:30 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Just wondering, for which situation this happened ?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 26 Sep 2011, at 04:32, jannik.laval wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I load MSE files, I would like to know which kind of information is inside the file. I think we should think about a solution.
>> Here is the problem:
>>
>> - I can generate a mse file with a generic FAMIX model.
>> - I can generate a mse file with a model containing FAMIXEclipsePlugin entities
>> - I can also generate a mse file with mensana informations
>>
>> When I use a new image, few weeks after, I do not remember the plugins I used. And it is not possible to load the file. The problem is when the time of loading is more than 10 minutes and crash after 9 minutes, I am frustrated :)
>>
>> I propose a solution and I would like to discuss about this problem.
>> I think that we could have a meta information that lists all type of entities in the mse file (for example: (FAMIXClass, FAMIXMethod, FAMIXPackage...)). This information would be checked before the importation and inform the developer if some classes are not present in the system.
>> After that, we can imagine that the developer has the choice between installing the classes or loading a partial model.
>>
>> What are your opinions ?
>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

---
Jannik Laval

Re: Meta-information in MSE files

abergel
Maybe the MSE file needs a version in which it can be loaded or something.

Alexandre

On 26 Sep 2011, at 08:38, jannik.laval wrote:

> I have some mse files,
> And some of them have FAMIXEclipsePlugins inside... but I don't remember which ones.
>
> I see that only when I load them
>
> Jannik
>
> On Sep 26, 2011, at 13:30 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Just wondering, for which situation this happened ?
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 26 Sep 2011, at 04:32, jannik.laval wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I load MSE files, I would like to know which kind of information is inside the file. I think we should think about a solution.
>>> Here is the problem:
>>>
>>> - I can generate a mse file with a generic FAMIX model.
>>> - I can generate a mse file with a model containing FAMIXEclipsePlugin entities
>>> - I can also generate a mse file with mensana informations
>>>
>>> When I use a new image, few weeks after, I do not remember the plugins I used. And it is not possible to load the file. The problem is when the time of loading is more than 10 minutes and crash after 9 minutes, I am frustrated :)
>>>
>>> I propose a solution and I would like to discuss about this problem.
>>> I think that we could have a meta information that lists all type of entities in the mse file (for example: (FAMIXClass, FAMIXMethod, FAMIXPackage...)). This information would be checked before the importation and inform the developer if some classes are not present in the system.
>>> After that, we can imagine that the developer has the choice between installing the classes or loading a partial model.
>>>
>>> What are your opinions ?
>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> ---
> Jannik Laval

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Meta-information in MSE files

jannik laval
It is not really the same information,
But yes, we have to put this information too.

Jannik

On Sep 26, 2011, at 14:25 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Maybe the MSE file needs a version in which it can be loaded or something.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 26 Sep 2011, at 08:38, jannik.laval wrote:
>
>> I have some mse files,
>> And some of them have FAMIXEclipsePlugins inside... but I don't remember which ones.
>>
>> I see that only when I load them
>>
>> Jannik
>>
>> On Sep 26, 2011, at 13:30 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering, for which situation this happened ?
>>>
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

---
Jannik Laval

Re: Meta-information in MSE files

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

We have this problem since a while.

First, I cannot say how happy I am that we finally have the problem in practice :). That it because this means that we finally have so many solutions for importing that we need the next level :).

Now, of course, it would be nice to have some information in MSE, but until now at least, we did not find an easy solution.

One thing we can do easily though is to build a smart analyzer that does not build the meta-model, only traverses the header of entities to recover the types. Anyone would like to take a shot at this? We should create an issue.

Cheers,
Doru

On 26 Sep 2011, at 14:32, jannik.laval wrote:

> It is not really the same information,
> But yes, we have to put this information too.
>
> Jannik
>
> On Sep 26, 2011, at 14:25 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Maybe the MSE file needs a version in which it can be loaded or something.
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 26 Sep 2011, at 08:38, jannik.laval wrote:
>>
>>> I have some mse files,
>>> And some of them have FAMIXEclipsePlugins inside... but I don't remember which ones.
>>>
>>> I see that only when I load them
>>>
>>> Jannik

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> ---
> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"Live like you mean it."

Re: Meta-information in MSE files

Stéphane Ducasse
in first version of moose we added on entity MooseModel that contained all the meta information
the problem was that we had to pay attention at load time because each model would contain one and when you load another
one you would get two.
Now we could create one only on save (but it sucks).
Or only the importers (AST dirven...) would have the responsibility to create such entity.
and mse file importer would not.

Stef

On Sep 26, 2011, at 8:21 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have this problem since a while.
>
> First, I cannot say how happy I am that we finally have the problem in practice :). That it because this means that we finally have so many solutions for importing that we need the next level :).
>
> Now, of course, it would be nice to have some information in MSE, but until now at least, we did not find an easy solution.
>
> One thing we can do easily though is to build a smart analyzer that does not build the meta-model, only traverses the header of entities to recover the types. Anyone would like to take a shot at this? We should create an issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 26 Sep 2011, at 14:32, jannik.laval wrote:
>
>> It is not really the same information,
>> But yes, we have to put this information too.
>>
>> Jannik
>>
>> On Sep 26, 2011, at 14:25 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe the MSE file needs a version in which it can be loaded or something.
>>>
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

> www.tudorgirba.com