Metacello Configuration Browser?

Guillermo Polito
I'm always reading people saying that metacello configurations are some kind of... overdesign.  So, maybe we need a tool (or to modify monticello browser) wich allow us to:

- know wich packages are core and dev.  Sometimes using a dev image, I write things depending on Dev packages and I don't realize it.
- create automatically or propose configurations depending on the actual state of the packages.
- browse configurations nicely :).  It's a new concept, we need a nice tool to support it.

Maybe if the configs are easily created, we can have more of them, and we will be no longer so lazy.

Cheers,
Guille

Re: Metacello Configuration Browser?

Simon Denier-3

On 28 sept. 2010, at 15:14, Guillermo Polito wrote:

Okok, I saw there already exists a Configuration browser :P.  But it can be reaally improved.

Which one are you talking about? The one in 1.2? Or on Squeaksource?

There have been multiple efforts (GTMetaceller, MooseDevBrowser...) already to try and see what we would like to do in a browser. But there are also some performance issues with Metacello right now, which makes it impractical to browser config. which Dale and Alex have started to tackle them.

Anyway, the latest effort (started during ESUG) is there: it is basically a rewrite of what have been done in the tools above (with still some missing parts).

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloBrowser'
    user: ''
    password: ''

Note, it requires Glamour and is more of a testbed than a fully-supported tool for now.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm always reading people saying that metacello configurations are some kind of... overdesign.  So, maybe we need a tool (or to modify monticello browser) wich allow us to:

- know wich packages are core and dev.  Sometimes using a dev image, I write things depending on Dev packages and I don't realize it.
- create automatically or propose configurations depending on the actual state of the packages.
- browse configurations nicely :).  It's a new concept, we need a nice tool to support it.

Maybe if the configs are easily created, we can have more of them, and we will be no longer so lazy.

Cheers,
Guille

 Simon

Re: Metacello Configuration Browser?

Mariano Martinez Peck
What I would love is a UI for GoferProjectLoader from Esteban. I mean, we have the apt-get but we need now synaptic :)

And....if we plan to do what I say in the email about Pharo and Metacello, having something like that is very, VERY useful. From my point of view, even more than a Metacello browser.

Cheers

Mariano

On 28 sept. 2010, at 21:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

What I would love is a UI for GoferProjectLoader from Esteban. I mean, we have the apt-get but we need now synaptic :)

And....if we plan to do what I say in the email about Pharo and Metacello, having something like that is very, VERY useful. From my point of view, even more than a Metacello browser.

That's too different usages, which are complementary: GoferProjectLoader is for end-users, while I'm thinking more of a browser for developers, when they have to create a new release and check there configuration is consistent. Right now it's quite a pain, ask Jannik who did the 4.1 Moose :)

[...]

yes!

while I'm thinking more of a browser for developers, when they have to create a new release and check there configuration is consistent. Right now it's quite a pain, ask Jannik who did the 4.1 Moose :)

ahhhhh got it ;)

so...the question is...why not improving Metacello-OB instead?

2010/10/3 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

2010/9/28 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>

On 28 sept. 2010, at 21:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

What I would love is a UI for GoferProjectLoader from Esteban. I mean, we have the apt-get but we need now synaptic :)

And....if we plan to do what I say in the email about Pharo and Metacello, having something like that is very, VERY useful. From my point of view, even more than a Metacello browser.

That's too different usages, which are complementary: GoferProjectLoader is for end-users,

yes!

while I'm thinking more of a browser for developers, when they have to create a new release and check there configuration is consistent. Right now it's quite a pain, ask Jannik who did the 4.1 Moose :)

Yes, you Simon got it right :).  I want a button ( :P ) to create a configuration for a package.  I want it to look for dependant packages, allow me to write pre load and post load scripts.  And let me upload it to the right monticello metacello reporsitory.  So we can automate this ugly configuration stuff.

ahhhhh got it ;)

so...the question is...why not improving Metacello-OB instead?

How can I get it?  I would like to have a tool running in the core image, but maybe that's not the right approach.

In my 1.2 Core I have a MetacelloConfigurationBrowser, where I can browse the configurations in MetaRepoForPharo12 in squeaksource.

Why not improving that?  If not, why do we have this browser??? Are the alternatives Simon mentioned all the ones we have?  We should unify the solutions to gather all the power that is disperse right now in 2 or 3 different solutions.

2010/10/3 Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]>

[...]

When you load a Metacello conf in a image where Metacello is not present, the automatic Metacello bootstrap will load only the core, as it should.
However, you can explictly load the UI. Check the ConfigurationOfMetacello and you will see a group 'UI'.

To install:

ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('UI' 'Metacello-Core')

In Pharo 1.1.1 I already install those packages of Metacello. You will see the package OB-Metacello.

But I have never use it.

Here is some info

http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/MetacelloTools

In my 1.2 Core I have a MetacelloConfigurationBrowser, where I can browse the configurations in MetaRepoForPharo12 in squeaksource.

Why not improving that?  If not, why do we have this browser??? Are the alternatives Simon mentioned all the ones we have?  We should unify the solutions to gather all the power that is disperse right now in 2 or 3 different solutions.

yes, please. I would like that people join eforce in this topic.

cheers

mariano