Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint Portland, Oregon ... Saturday and Sunday

Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint Portland, Oregon ... Saturday and Sunday

Dale Henrichs
Okay, okay.... I've been trying to keep a half dozen balls in the air
for the last few weeks and what that means is that I don't give enough
attention to any of them ...

Pharo1.2 is close and Metacello is one of the bad boys with the failing
tests sooooo, I am going to do a solo sprint this weekend:

    1. a quick release of Metacello with expectedFailures for the tests
       that are failing in Pharo1.2. I have already fixed the tests
       (only test changes are needed), but I now need to port the Gofer
       changes to Squeak and GemStone which is a bigger job. A quick
       surgical set of expectedFailures is the best thing to do here.
    2. in build #57 of Pharo1.2 I noticed some odd things that I want to
       track down...
    3. I expect that some of the #57 issues can be revealed with the
       validator, so I am thinking that I will run the validator over
       all of the configurations that are used in Pharo1.2 and go about
       identify and/or fixing the meaningful issues that I find. My main
       goal will be to repair things that are broken, so I will be
       reluctant to make semantic changes without checking with the
       maintainers, but if the problem is really gruesome I will fix it
       and apologize later:)
    4. I'm not going to spend a lot of time reading/writing email ...
       this will be a sprint not a coffee klatch. With that said, if you
       have a Metacello config issue that is related to Pharo1.2 drop me
       an email with your question/thought but don't be offended if
       I don't respond at all or just GRUNT in reply ... I may even take
       action without letting you know...
    5. While working on the above task, I will work on the
       MetacelloBrowser adding menu items for the operations that I
       performso it will then be easier for other folks to perform the
       same types of jobs in the future. I may do something funky like
       hide the menu items behind a boolean so as not to pollute the
       menu items with a whole bunch of advanced type operations (that
       will be named poorly:)...

I realize that I may be closing the barn door after the horse is gone -
build 57 is yellow afterall - but cleaning up validation issues is long
overdue.

I don't plan on fixing Metacello bugs unless I find something that just
begs to be fixed ... the sprint is mainly about running the validator
and cleaning up the real nasty bits and track down the Metacello
anomalies in #57...

Dale

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint Portland, Oregon ... Saturday and Sunday

abergel

Hi Dale!

FYI, I plan to work on MetacelloBrowser tomorrow evening. Accommodating the issue with automatic addition of repositories and a better management of the comment. And if I find some time, I will implement the OB-like command discovery. Much better than fiddling with the #fillMenu: method.

I will let you know about my progresses.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 25 févr. 2011 à 22:27, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Okay, okay.... I've been trying to keep a half dozen balls in the air for the last few weeks and what that means is that I don't give enough attention to any of them ...
>
> Pharo1.2 is close and Metacello is one of the bad boys with the failing tests sooooo, I am going to do a solo sprint this weekend:
>
>   1. a quick release of Metacello with expectedFailures for the tests
>      that are failing in Pharo1.2. I have already fixed the tests
>      (only test changes are needed), but I now need to port the Gofer
>      changes to Squeak and GemStone which is a bigger job. A quick
>      surgical set of expectedFailures is the best thing to do here.
>   2. in build #57 of Pharo1.2 I noticed some odd things that I want to
>      track down...
>   3. I expect that some of the #57 issues can be revealed with the
>      validator, so I am thinking that I will run the validator over
>      all of the configurations that are used in Pharo1.2 and go about
>      identify and/or fixing the meaningful issues that I find. My main
>      goal will be to repair things that are broken, so I will be
>      reluctant to make semantic changes without checking with the
>      maintainers, but if the problem is really gruesome I will fix it
>      and apologize later:)
>   4. I'm not going to spend a lot of time reading/writing email ...
>      this will be a sprint not a coffee klatch. With that said, if you
>      have a Metacello config issue that is related to Pharo1.2 drop me
>      an email with your question/thought but don't be offended if
>      I don't respond at all or just GRUNT in reply ... I may even take
>      action without letting you know...
>   5. While working on the above task, I will work on the
>      MetacelloBrowser adding menu items for the operations that I
>      performso it will then be easier for other folks to perform the
>      same types of jobs in the future. I may do something funky like
>      hide the menu items behind a boolean so as not to pollute the
>      menu items with a whole bunch of advanced type operations (that
>      will be named poorly:)...
>
> I realize that I may be closing the barn door after the horse is gone - build 57 is yellow afterall - but cleaning up validation issues is long overdue.
>
> I don't plan on fixing Metacello bugs unless I find something that just begs to be fixed ... the sprint is mainly about running the validator and cleaning up the real nasty bits and track down the Metacello anomalies in #57...
>
> Dale

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint Portland, Oregon ... Saturday and Sunday

Dale Henrichs
Alexandre,

Great ... I'm getting an early start on the sprint tonight, so I might have checked in some new commands by the time you get to it ... I like the OB-style commands that will be very convenient...

Dale

On Feb 25, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> [...]
>>     MetacelloBrowser adding menu items for the operations that I
>>     performso it will then be easier for other folks to perform the
>>     same types of jobs in the future. I may do something funky like
>>     hide the menu items behind a boolean so as not to pollute the
>>     menu items with a whole bunch of advanced type operations (that
>>     will be named poorly:)...
>>
>> I realize that I may be closing the barn door after the horse is gone - build 57 is yellow afterall - but cleaning up validation issues is long overdue.
>>
>> I don't plan on fixing Metacello bugs unless I find something that just begs to be fixed ... the sprint is mainly about running the validator and cleaning up the real nasty bits and track down the Metacello anomalies in #57...
>>
>> Dale

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint Portland, Oregon ... Saturday and Sunday

Miguel Cobá
Thanks Dale

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint Portland, Oregon ... Saturday and Sunday

Tudor Girba
Thanks indeed for all this nice work and commitment.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint Portland, Oregon ... Saturday and Sunday

Mariano Martinez Peck
"solo sprint" hahahaha AWESOME.
Lots of us do solo sprints :)

On Feb 26, 2011, at 5:26 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

"solo sprint" hahahaha AWESOME.
Lots of us do solo sprints :)

Haha, but unlike most other solo sprints I'm monkeying with "other people's" configurations:), so I thought it worth the warning:)

Dale

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Thank you Dale.

Laurent.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
[...]

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint ... status

Dale Henrichs

On Feb 25, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
> Pharo1.2 is close and Metacello is one of the bad boys with the failing
> tests sooooo, I am going to do a solo sprint this weekend:
>
>    1. a quick release of Metacello with expectedFailures for the tests....

released 1.0-beta.28.3.1 with expected failures defined, last night...

>    2. in build #57 of Pharo1.2 I noticed some odd things that I want to
>       track down...

tracked down the anomalies in build #157... as I suspected, the anomalies were due to configuration specification issues...the right things were loaded, but the configuration errors lead to misleading currentVersions for some of the configs...

>    3. I expect that some of the #57 issues can be revealed with the
>       validator, so I am thinking that I will run the validator over
>       all of the configurations that are used in Pharo1.2 ...

Yep 7 of the configurations referenced by ConfigurationOfPharo had issues that I've been able to clean up without doing anything too drastic to the configs ... I've still got to do some test loads to make sure that they load clean, etc...

>    4. I'm not going to spend a lot of time reading/writing email ...

...GRUNT...

>    5. While working on the above task, I will work on the
>       MetacelloBrowser adding menu items

Added ob sunit-type validation icons to the confiugrations and versions in the MetacelloBrowser ... when you click on the icon you get the validation results ... there is still more to polish in the MetacelloBrowser, I know that Alexandre is doing more work this evening and I've got a handful of things more to add  that I think will be useful ...

Dale

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint ... status

Dale Henrichs
I've just finished copying the cleaned up configurations up to MetacelloRepository.

All of the configurations that are referenced in ConfigurationOfPharo validate clean ...

I loaded the config into a PHaroCore image, but had a number of failed tests, but I am running on a mac and I seem to remember that there were still some failing tests on the mac ...

I'll check on the hudson results first thing tomorrow morning to double check ..

Dale

On Feb 26, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> Pharo1.2 is close and Metacello is one of the bad boys with the failing
>> tests sooooo, I am going to do a solo sprint this weekend:
>>
>>   1. a quick release of Metacello with expectedFailures for the tests....
>
> released 1.0-beta.28.3.1 with expected failures defined, last night...
>
>>   2. in build #57 of Pharo1.2 I noticed some odd things that I want to
>>      track down...
>
> tracked down the anomalies in build #157... as I suspected, the anomalies were due to configuration specification issues...the right things were loaded, but the configuration errors lead to misleading currentVersions for some of the configs...
>
>>   3. I expect that some of the #57 issues can be revealed with the
>>      validator, so I am thinking that I will run the validator over
>>      all of the configurations that are used in Pharo1.2 ...
>
> Yep 7 of the configurations referenced by ConfigurationOfPharo had issues that I've been able to clean up without doing anything too drastic to the configs ... I've still got to do some test loads to make sure that they load clean, etc...
>
>>   4. I'm not going to spend a lot of time reading/writing email ...
>
> ...GRUNT...
>
>>   5. While working on the above task, I will work on the
>>      MetacelloBrowser adding menu items
>
> Added ob sunit-type validation icons to the confiugrations and versions in the MetacelloBrowser ... when you click on the icon you get the validation results ... there is still more to polish in the MetacelloBrowser, I know that Alexandre is doing more work this evening and I've got a handful of things more to add  that I think will be useful ...
>
> Dale

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint ... status

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks!

On Feb 28, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> I've just finished copying the cleaned up configurations up to MetacelloRepository.
>
> All of the configurations that are referenced in ConfigurationOfPharo validate clean ...
>
> I loaded the config into a PHaroCore image, but had a number of failed tests, but I am running on a mac and I seem to remember that there were still some failing tests on the mac ...
>
> I'll check on the hudson results first thing tomorrow morning to double check ..
>
> Dale

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint ... status

Miguel Cobá
Loads correctly on:

Pharo1.2rc2
Latest update: #12336

Test results:

10761 run, 10691 passes, 65 expected failures, 3 failures, 1 errors, 1
unexpected passes

OS:

Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 64 bits.

VM:
4.0.3-2202 #1 XShm Tue Apr 13 11:56:47 PDT 2010 gcc 4.3.2
Linux vps2.piumarta.com 2.6.18-028stab053.10-ent #1 SMP Thu Feb 28
20:34:08 MSK 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
plugin path: /opt/Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386/lib/squeak/4.0.3-2202/
[default: /opt/Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386/lib/squeak/4.0.3-2202/]

Thanks Dale

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Metacello Configuration Pharo1.2 solo sprint ... status

Dale Henrichs
Miguel,

Thanks for checking!

Dale