Metacello Preview

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
[cross posted to pharo-project and squeak-dev]

Dale has done some really cool work on Metacello! From the original announcement at http://forum.world.st/Metacello-Preview-release-1-0-beta-32-2-td4642064.html :
The Metacello Preview release provides the following features:

 - Metacello Scripting API (user guide[1] and reference[2])
 - Metacello-Base package for inclusion in Squeak/Pharo base images
 - support for git and GitHub (filetree:// and github:// repository loaded)

In typical Dale fashion, he wants to provide our community with as much value as possible, so he's been tentative to release his "preview" version until he gets feedback from users and can tailor it to our real-world needs.

I feel, after checking with Dale, that integrating the preview into Pharo and Squeak trunk now will provide a balance between exposure and malleability, to make sure we have an API we'll all love by the next respective releases.

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello Preview

Dale Henrichs
Some status:

The Preview is functional (all tests passing:) on GemStone (included in base for GLASS 1.0-beta.9), Squeak 4.3 through 4.5 (is Squeak4.5 the trunk?) and Pharo 1.1 through 1.4. Christophe Demarey is helping me port the Metacello Preview/Metacello Scripting API to Pharo2.0.

For the Squeak guys ... I did finally address the bug that was bugging me, but I'm still interested in some real world feedback ... There are a handful of users, but I haven't gotten enough bug reports to satisfy me that it is being beaten on:)

Dale

| [cross posted to pharo-project and squeak-dev]
|
| Dale has done some really cool work on Metacello! From the original
| announcement at
| http://forum.world.st/Metacello-Preview-release-1-0-beta-32-2-td4642064.html
| :
|

| The Metacello Preview release provides the following features:
|
| - Metacello Scripting API (user guide[1] and reference[2])
| - Metacello-Base package for inclusion in Squeak/Pharo base images
| - support for git and GitHub (filetree:// and github:// repository loaded)
|
| In typical Dale fashion, he wants to provide our community with as much value
| as possible, so he's been tentative to release his "preview" version until
| he gets feedback from users and can tailor it to our real-world needs.
|
| I feel, after checking with Dale, that integrating the preview into Pharo and
| Squeak trunk now will provide a balance between exposure and malleability,
| to make sure we have an API we'll all love by the next respective releases.
|
| Cheers,
| Sean

Re: Metacello Preview

Ben Coman
DeNigris Sean wrote:

> [cross posted to pharo-project and squeak-dev]
>
> Dale has done some really cool work on Metacello! From the original announcement at http://forum.world.st/Metacello-Preview-release-1-0-beta-32-2-td4642064.html :
>
>> The Metacello Preview release provides the following features:
>>
>>  - Metacello Scripting API (user guide[1] and reference[2])
>>  - Metacello-Base package for inclusion in Squeak/Pharo base images
>>  - support for git and GitHub (filetree:// and github:// repository loaded)
>>

> In typical Dale fashion, he wants to provide our community with as much value as possible, so he's been tentative to release his "preview" version until he gets feedback from users and can tailor it to our real-world needs.
>
> I feel, after checking with Dale, that integrating the preview into Pharo and Squeak trunk now will provide a balance between exposure and malleability, to make sure we have an API we'll all love by the next respective releases.
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

It natural to want to minimise harm to others by releasing something
Clean And Shiny, but the other side of the coin is "Release Early
Release Often" [1].  Although having said that, I notice my own
behaviour is more CAS than RERO at the moment.  I'll have to work on that.

cheers -ben

[1]
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html