[Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

[Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Torsten Bergmann
>We should listen to Torsten but as far as I would expect, only HelpSystem,
>but it is already included in both PharoCore and Squeak.

The help system is included in Squeak trunk and Pharo core, so
one should be able to load the three example books (Squeak, Pharo,
Metacello) which I uploaded in squeksource/HelpSystem in both
environments. Still they are just small demo books - no real
docu since there is not much content yet.

However - we could reuse them to document these systems if
for instance Dale is willing to contribute stuff to the
Metacello book or we create an ASCII version of the Metacello
preview PBE chapter. Would be nice to have a real Metacello help book
that would be part of the Metacello distro (similar to the ProfStef
Tutorial on Metacello) ...

Thanks
T.

Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Stéphane Ducasse
I suggest that we avoid copy and paste.
Why not having everything in the web pharo-book since we
can
        - browse it on the web
        - generate latex and book for it
        - query it via help

I do not see the point of having an ascii outdated version. We do not have the manpower for doing that.

I'm already losing my time with svn since some people committed over my changes....

Stef

On May 24, 2010, at 11:41 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> We should listen to Torsten but as far as I would expect, only HelpSystem,
>> but it is already included in both PharoCore and Squeak.
>
> The help system is included in Squeak trunk and Pharo core, so
> one should be able to load the three example books (Squeak, Pharo,
> Metacello) which I uploaded in squeksource/HelpSystem in both
> environments. Still they are just small demo books - no real
> docu since there is not much content yet.
>
> However - we could reuse them to document these systems if
> for instance Dale is willing to contribute stuff to the
> Metacello book or we create an ASCII version of the Metacello
> preview PBE chapter. Would be nice to have a real Metacello help book
> that would be part of the Metacello distro (similar to the ProfStef
> Tutorial on Metacello) ...
>
> Thanks
> T.

Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

- query it via help

What is this?

I do not see the point of having an ascii outdated version. We do not have the manpower for doing that.

I'm already losing my time with svn since some people committed over my changes....

Stef

On May 24, 2010, at 11:41 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> We should listen to Torsten but as far as I would expect, only HelpSystem,
>> but it is already included in both PharoCore and Squeak.
>
> The help system is included in Squeak trunk and Pharo core, so
> one should be able to load the three example books (Squeak, Pharo,
> Metacello) which I uploaded in squeksource/HelpSystem in both
> environments. Still they are just small demo books - no real
> docu since there is not much content yet.
>
> However - we could reuse them to document these systems if
> for instance Dale is willing to contribute stuff to the
> Metacello book or we create an ASCII version of the Metacello
> preview PBE chapter. Would be nice to have a real Metacello help book
> that would be part of the Metacello distro (similar to the ProfStef
> Tutorial on Metacello) ...
>
> Thanks
> T.

Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Dale Henrichs
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I suggest that we avoid copy and paste.
> Why not having everything in the web pharo-book since we
> can
> - browse it on the web
> - generate latex and book for it
> - query it via help
>
> I do not see the point of having an ascii outdated version. We do not have the manpower for doing that.
>
> I'm already losing my time with svn since some people committed over my changes....
>
> Stef

I think this is a good approach ... right now I'm rethinking the
metacello and glassdb wikis based on google project ... it has been
convenient up to now, but I really think that having documentation that
is created/editted on the web and then spawned programatically for
inclusion as in image help is superior....

the advantage of in-image documentation is that doits can just be
executed without the need for copy and paste. Also the in-image
documentation will match the loaded code, while the online documentation
will constantly be moving forward ...

Dale

On May 25, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> I suggest that we avoid copy and paste.
>> Why not having everything in the web pharo-book since we can - browse it on the web
>> - generate latex and book for it
>> - query it via help
>> I do not see the point of having an ascii outdated version. We do not have the manpower for doing that.
>> I'm already losing my time with svn since some people committed over my changes....
>> Stef
>
> I think this is a good approach ... right now I'm rethinking the metacello and glassdb wikis based on google project ... it has been convenient up to now, but I really think that having documentation that is created/editted on the web and then spawned programatically for inclusion as in image help is superior....
>
> the advantage of in-image documentation is that doits can just be executed without the need for copy and paste. Also the in-image documentation will match the loaded code, while the online documentation will constantly be moving forward ...

for that
we should start to tag tests with proper tag this way we will have
        - better tests with nicer comment
        - help with always working and in sync code.

Stef