Metacello and SourceTalk ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
SourceTalk/Monticello 2 hasn't been top priority because there have been plenty of other more urgent matters that required attention.

Maybe with all the discussion around Metacello, Repositories, Pharo Release, Code Freeze, Continuous Integration etc ... it may be a good idea to use this momentum to look at SourceTalk/Monticello 2 again?  The name SourceTalk probably makes more sense with the idea of the Repository serving the Squeak and Pharo communities.  SourceTalk should probably also remove the need for projects to use Google Code simply for its Wiki and Issue Tracker.

A number of other "Ideas To Implement" (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/IdeasToImplement) have already made it to the next stage.

Re: Metacello and SourceTalk ...

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Geert. I agree it would awesome to have Monticello 2 and SourcTalk for Pharo 1.2. I have not idea the status. I tested once (you can see squeakdbx there) but I have a lot of problems. And the project seems "dead". I mean,  I don't think someone is working on it.
That said, it would be great someone to work on it and maybe start to using it by Pharo 1.2

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

SourceTalk/Monticello 2 hasn't been top priority because there have been
plenty of other more urgent matters that required attention.

Maybe with all the discussion around Metacello, Repositories, Pharo Release,
Code Freeze, Continuous Integration etc ... it may be a good idea to use
this momentum to look at SourceTalk/Monticello 2 again?  The name SourceTalk
probably makes more sense with the idea of the Repository serving the Squeak
and Pharo communities.  SourceTalk should probably also remove the need for
projects to use Google Code simply for its Wiki and Issue Tracker.

A number of other "Ideas To Implement"
(http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/IdeasToImplement) have already made it
to the next stage.

Re: Metacello and SourceTalk ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
What would be the biggest challenges moving to MC2 and a MC2 Repository like SourceTalk?

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Hi Geert. I agree it would awesome to have Monticello 2 and SourcTalk for Pharo 1.2. I have not idea the status. I tested once (you can see squeakdbx there) but I have a lot of problems. And the project seems "dead". I mean, I don't think someone is working on it.  That said, it would be great someone to work on it and maybe start to using it by Pharo 1.2

Re: Metacello and SourceTalk ...

Julian Fitzell-2
The fact that MC2 is still a moving target. Or at least it would be if it was moving. :) More to the point, the early releases had some problems that prompted further redesign and I'd recommend against creating large amounts of date in those versions that will need to be brought forward. In other words, I don't think it's ready for prime time in its current state.

Julian

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

What would be the biggest challenges moving to MC2 and a MC2 Repository like
SourceTalk?

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Geert. I agree it would awesome to have Monticello 2 and SourcTalk for
> Pharo 1.2. I have not idea the status. I tested once (you can see
> squeakdbx there) but I have a lot of problems. And the project seems
> "dead". I mean, I don't think someone is working on it.  That said, it
> would be great someone to work on it and maybe start to using it by Pharo
> 1.2

Re: Metacello and SourceTalk ...

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks for the update.