Metacello as the system evolves... (Fwd from Seaside-General: Which image for deployment?)

Metacello as the system evolves... (Fwd from Seaside-General: Which image for deployment?)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
The following is a conversation about not being able to load Seaside into Pharo 1.2 via Metacello (from the Seaside-general list). Shouldn't symbolic versions in Metacello have solved this problem? There should be different package versions tagged stable for each system (1.2.x, 1.3...) as necessary, no? It seems there's not much difference between:
  Pharo 1.2 vs. Pharo 1.3
               and
  Pharo 1.2 vs. Squeak 4.2

Doesn't symbolic versions finally allow us to have *one* configuration per project that will load into any Squeak/Pharo/etc? As a Metacello user, it would be comforting to know that there is only one configuration, or needing to find the /right/ one replaces one problem (dependencies) with another.

> 1.2.2-12353)

That is a known problem (see
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2011-May/004786.html
and http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/moose-dev/2011-May/008309.html).
Some configurations that the Seaside Metacello Configuration depens on
have been updated to Pharo 1.3 breaking all users of older versions of
Pharo.

I was told that the (Pharo?) Metacello configurations do not support
of Pharo (< 1.3) cannot load Seaside with Metacello anymore. There are
various solutions:

- Move to (unstable) Pharo 1.3, use a maybe broken Seaside, and load
the code easily with Metacello (this is what Pharo wants us to do)
- Fix the configurations of Pharo or write our own configurations (no
clue how that could be done)
- Stay with (stable) Pharo and use Gofer scripts (this is what I do,
works pretty reliable and painless)

In either case you should complain in the Pharo list, there is
something broken in the process. Personally, I am fedup with these
forced updates and will stick with Pharo 1.2 until there is a really
compelling reason to move forward.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Metacello as the system evolves... (Fwd from Seaside-General: Which image for deployment?)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
The following is a conversation about not being able to load Seaside into
Pharo 1.2 via Metacello (from the Seaside-general list). Shouldn't symbolic
versions in Metacello have solved this problem?

No. #symbolic versions DOES solve the problem in the general way. But it is up to the ConfigurationOf maitainer to assure that.
If ConfigurationOfSeaside doesn't load is not because of Metacello. Is because nobody fix ConfigurationOfSeaside and #stable to make it work.

Cheers

mariano

There should be different
package versions tagged stable for each system (1.2.x, 1.3...) as necessary,
no? It seems there's not much difference between:
 Pharo 1.2 vs. Pharo 1.3
              and
 Pharo 1.2 vs. Squeak 4.2

Doesn't symbolic versions finally allow us to have *one* configuration per
project that will load into any Squeak/Pharo/etc? As a Metacello user, it
would be comforting to know that there is only one configuration, or needing
to find the /right/ one replaces one problem (dependencies) with another.

>> Pharo
>> 1.2.2-12353)
>
> That is a known problem (see
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2011-May/004786.html
> and http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/moose-dev/2011-May/008309.html).
> Some configurations that the Seaside Metacello Configuration depens on
> have been updated to Pharo 1.3 breaking all users of older versions of
> Pharo.
>
> I was told that the (Pharo?) Metacello configurations do not support
> of Pharo (< 1.3) cannot load Seaside with Metacello anymore. There are
> various solutions:
>
> - Move to (unstable) Pharo 1.3, use a maybe broken Seaside, and load
> the code easily with Metacello (this is what Pharo wants us to do)
> - Fix the configurations of Pharo or write our own configurations (no
> clue how that could be done)
> - Stay with (stable) Pharo and use Gofer scripts (this is what I do,
> works pretty reliable and painless)
>
> In either case you should complain in the Pharo list, there is
> something broken in the process. Personally, I am fedup with these
> forced updates and will stick with Pharo 1.2 until there is a really
> compelling reason to move forward.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Metacello as the system evolves... (Fwd from Seaside-General: Which image for deployment?)

sean

can you quote the name of the person who wrote the mail?

Stef

On May 31, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> The following is a conversation about not being able to load Seaside into
> Pharo 1.2 via Metacello (from the Seaside-general list). Shouldn't symbolic
> versions in Metacello have solved this problem? There should be different
> package versions tagged stable for each system (1.2.x, 1.3...) as necessary,
> no? It seems there's not much difference between:
>  Pharo 1.2 vs. Pharo 1.3
>               and
>  Pharo 1.2 vs. Squeak 4.2
>
> Doesn't symbolic versions finally allow us to have *one* configuration per
> project that will load into any Squeak/Pharo/etc? As a Metacello user, it
> would be comforting to know that there is only one configuration, or needing
> to find the /right/ one replaces one problem (dependencies) with another.

>>> Pharo
>>> 1.2.2-12353)
>>
>> That is a known problem (see
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2011-May/004786.html
>> and http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/moose-dev/2011-May/008309.html).
>> Some configurations that the Seaside Metacello Configuration depens on
>> have been updated to Pharo 1.3 breaking all users of older versions of
>> Pharo.
>>
>> I was told that the (Pharo?) Metacello configurations do not support
>> of Pharo (< 1.3) cannot load Seaside with Metacello anymore. There are
>> various solutions:
>>
>> - Move to (unstable) Pharo 1.3, use a maybe broken Seaside, and load
>> the code easily with Metacello (this is what Pharo wants us to do)
>> - Fix the configurations of Pharo or write our own configurations (no
>> clue how that could be done)
>> - Stay with (stable) Pharo and use Gofer scripts (this is what I do,
>> works pretty reliable and painless)
>>
>> In either case you should complain in the Pharo list, there is
>> something broken in the process. Personally, I am fedup with these
>> forced updates and will stick with Pharo 1.2 until there is a really
>> compelling reason to move forward.

Re: Metacello as the system evolves... (Fwd from Seaside-General: Which image for deployment?)

It also means that we should find somebody that do not piss on metacello and maintain a version for Seaside.
Because we cannot manage complex system with a package management system and there is a cost in
that but benefit too. Sad but true.

Stef

On May 31, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> The following is a conversation about not being able to load Seaside into
> Pharo 1.2 via Metacello (from the Seaside-general list). Shouldn't symbolic
> versions in Metacello have solved this problem? There should be different
> package versions tagged stable for each system (1.2.x, 1.3...) as necessary,
> no? It seems there's not much difference between:
>  Pharo 1.2 vs. Pharo 1.3
>               and
>  Pharo 1.2 vs. Squeak 4.2
>
> Doesn't symbolic versions finally allow us to have *one* configuration per
> project that will load into any Squeak/Pharo/etc? As a Metacello user, it
> would be comforting to know that there is only one configuration, or needing
> to find the /right/ one replaces one problem (dependencies) with another.

>>> Pharo
>>> 1.2.2-12353)
>>
>> That is a known problem (see
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2011-May/004786.html
>> and http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/moose-dev/2011-May/008309.html).
>> Some configurations that the Seaside Metacello Configuration depens on
>> have been updated to Pharo 1.3 breaking all users of older versions of
>> Pharo.
>>
>> I was told that the (Pharo?) Metacello configurations do not support
>> of Pharo (< 1.3) cannot load Seaside with Metacello anymore. There are
>> various solutions:
>>
>> - Move to (unstable) Pharo 1.3, use a maybe broken Seaside, and load
>> the code easily with Metacello (this is what Pharo wants us to do)
>> - Fix the configurations of Pharo or write our own configurations (no
>> clue how that could be done)
>> - Stay with (stable) Pharo and use Gofer scripts (this is what I do,
>> works pretty reliable and painless)
>>
>> In either case you should complain in the Pharo list, there is
>> something broken in the process. Personally, I am fedup with these
>> forced updates and will stick with Pharo 1.2 until there is a really
>> compelling reason to move forward.

Re: Metacello as the system evolves... (Fwd from Seaside-General: Which image for deployment?)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
can you quote the name of the person who wrote the mail?
Sure, I wrote the original post, and the response was from Lukas.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean