Metacello chapter

12

Metacello chapter

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

here is a new version of the metacello chapter.
So we wrote it, rewrote it, rerewrote it.
Now if this is of interest for you you can read it.

But if you don't it means that I'm losing my time and I should stop writing and like
that you can cry that there is no doc about Pharo.

Stef

Metacello.pdf (570K) Download Attachment

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Metacello chapter

EstebanLM
I read it (Mariano sent to me last week, because I needed to build some complex configuration).
I think it is really helpful, clear and well written :)

In my opinion, is a great chapter!

cheers,
Esteban

El 06/04/2011, a las 4:58a.m., Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> Hi guys
>
> here is a new version of the metacello chapter.
> So we wrote it, rewrote it, rerewrote it.
> Now if this is of interest for you you can read it.
>
> But if you don't it means that I'm losing my time and I should stop writing and like
> that you can cry that there is no doc about Pharo.
> <Metacello.pdf>
>

> Stef

Metacello chapter

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 06 Apr 2011, at 09:58, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> here is a new version of the metacello chapter.
> So we wrote it, rewrote it, rerewrote it.
> Now if this is of interest for you you can read it.
>
> But if you don't it means that I'm losing my time and I should stop writing and like
> that you can cry that there is no doc about Pharo.
> <Metacello.pdf>

Well written, article/book class documentation, like the PBE & Seaside book, and chapters like the one above, are really important.
I know this takes a lot of time, so thanks for the effort!

Sven

Re: Metacello chapter

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks you all.
If you find problems or errors let us know.
The chapter is now available on the inria gforge.

Stef

>> here is a new version of the metacello chapter.
>> So we wrote it, rewrote it, rerewrote it.
>> Now if this is of interest for you you can read it.
>>
>> But if you don't it means that I'm losing my time and I should stop writing and like
>> that you can cry that there is no doc about Pharo.
>> <Metacello.pdf>
>
> Well written, article/book class documentation, like the PBE & Seaside book, and chapters like the one above, are really important.
> I know this takes a lot of time, so thanks for the effort!
>
> Sven

Re: Metacello chapter

I already asked oscar so it will come.

> Stef, can we upload it to http://pharobyexample.org/  (on the right of the page)
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> here is a new version of the metacello chapter.
> So we wrote it, rewrote it, rerewrote it.
> Now if this is of interest for you you can read it.
>
> But if you don't it means that I'm losing my time and I should stop writing and like
> that you can cry that there is no doc about Pharo.
>

> Stef
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Metacello chapter

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Cool. BTW, I have a pending pull request on the Socket chapter.

Noury
On 6 avr. 2011, at 09:58, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> here is a new version of the metacello chapter.
> So we wrote it, rewrote it, rerewrote it.
> Now if this is of interest for you you can read it.
>
> But if you don't it means that I'm losing my time and I should stop writing and like
> that you can cry that there is no doc about Pharo.
> <Metacello.pdf>
>

> Stef

Noury Bouraqadi
http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
--
-6th National Conference on
“Control Architecture of Robots”

-19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011

-19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

Re: Metacello chapter

Stéphane Ducasse
> Cool. BTW, I have a pending pull request on the Socket chapter.

what is it?
what do you mean?
what do you need?

Re: Metacello chapter

SergeStinckwich
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/3

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Pharo 1.2.1 on Windows XP

Benoit St-Jean
Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that an "out-of-the-box" one-click Pharo 1.2.1 image on Windows XP fails one the following SUnit tests in TestRunner (see attached image).

Most of the failing test are located in the ImageSegmentTestExport test suite.  In every of those cases, the problem is located in #deleteFileNamed:ifAbsent: method.

In the meantime, I might have a look at it tomorrow if I have time.  Can anyone confirm that this is reproduceable on other Windows machines ?

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Pharo 1.2.jpg (204K) Download Attachment

Re: Metacello chapter

and so what? I still do not understand it.
may be noury should be added to the project.

On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:28 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/3
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:10 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Cool. BTW, I have a pending pull request on the Socket chapter.
>>
>> what is it?
>> what do you mean?
>> what do you need?
>>
>> Stef
>>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Metacello chapter

Noury Bouraqadi-2
I don't know how other authors work.
Not having write access to the repo, I have to fork, make my changes and then ask the admin of the repo (you + who else) to pull (=> merge) changes I made.

Noury
On 7 avr. 2011, at 09:18, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> and so what? I still do not understand it.
> may be noury should be added to the project.
>

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:28 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/3

>>> what is it?
>>> what do you mean?
>>> what do you need?
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Noury Bouraqadi
http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
--
-6th National Conference on
“Control Architecture of Robots”
24-25 may 2011, Grenoble area, France
http://car2011.inrialpes.fr/

-19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011

-19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

Re: Metacello chapter

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 07-04-2011 a las 09:18 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> and so what? I still do not understand it.
> may be noury should be added to the project.

A pull is a notice to the original author (whose code the contributor is
forking and modifying) to indicate that some changes are made parting
from some point in time (the time of forking). Github permits the
original author to review the changes and apply them to its own
"official" codebase, therefore integrating contributions from others.

The nice thing is that everyone can modify what he wants but the
original author is the one that takes what it appears good to him for
integrating in the official codebase. There is no need to add more
people to a "project" because everyone can have its own copy of the
project and only share the changes as needed.

Cheers

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:28 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
> > https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/3

> >> what is it?
> >> what do you mean?
> >> what do you need?
> >>
> >> Stef
> >>

> > --
> > Serge Stinckwich
> > UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> > Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> > http://doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Metacello chapter

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 07-04-2011 a las 14:59 +0200, Noury Bouraqadi escribió:
> I don't know how other authors work.
> Not having write access to the repo, I have to fork, make my changes and then ask the admin of the repo (you + who else) to pull (=> merge) changes I made.

Indeed, that is the recommended way to work in open source projects on
GitHub.

Cheers

> Noury
> On 7 avr. 2011, at 09:18, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > and so what? I still do not understand it.
> > may be noury should be added to the project.
> >

> > On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:28 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> >
> >> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/3

> >> --
> >> Serge Stinckwich
> >> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> >> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> >> http://doesnotunderstand.org/
> >

> Noury Bouraqadi
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> --
> -6th National Conference on
> “Control Architecture of Robots”
> 24-25 may 2011, Grenoble area, France
> http://car2011.inrialpes.fr/
>
> -19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
> 22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011
>
> -19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
> http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
> 17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Metacello chapter

SergeStinckwich
Yes this is usual way to propose changes with github.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know how other authors work.
> Not having write access to the repo, I have to fork, make my changes and then ask the admin of the repo (you + who else) to pull (=> merge) changes I made.
>
> Noury
> On 7 avr. 2011, at 09:18, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> and so what? I still do not understand it.
>> may be noury should be added to the project.
>>

>> On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:28 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>
>>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/3

>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/
>>

> Noury Bouraqadi
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> --
> -6th National Conference on
> “Control Architecture of Robots”
> 24-25 may 2011, Grenoble area, France
> http://car2011.inrialpes.fr/
>
> -19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
> 22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011
>
> -19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
> http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
> 17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Metacello chapter

noury can you log on git hub so that we can add you to the project?

Stef

On Apr 7, 2011, at 5:02 PM, Miguel Cobá wrote:

> El jue, 07-04-2011 a las 09:18 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>> and so what? I still do not understand it.
>> may be noury should be added to the project.
>
> A pull is a notice to the original author (whose code the contributor is
> forking and modifying) to indicate that some changes are made parting
> from some point in time (the time of forking). Github permits the
> original author to review the changes and apply them to its own
> "official" codebase, therefore integrating contributions from others.

how do I do both
        notify a project I have changes for it?
        how do I merge changes submitted?

> The nice thing is that everyone can modify what he wants but the
> original author is the one that takes what it appears good to him for
> integrating in the official codebase. There is no need to add more
> people to a "project" because everyone can have its own copy of the
> project and only share the changes as needed.

Yes I know the idea.

> Cheers
>>

>> On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:28 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>
>>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/3

>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/
>>

> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Metacello chapter

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 07-04-2011 a las 20:44 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 5:02 PM, Miguel Cobá wrote:
>
> > El jue, 07-04-2011 a las 09:18 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> >> and so what? I still do not understand it.
> >> may be noury should be added to the project.
> >
> > A pull is a notice to the original author (whose code the contributor is
> > forking and modifying) to indicate that some changes are made parting
> > from some point in time (the time of forking). Github permits the
> > original author to review the changes and apply them to its own
> > "official" codebase, therefore integrating contributions from others.
>
> how do I do both

Those are separate scenarios:

> notify a project I have changes for it?

Here you are contributor and are informing the original
author/developer/owner that you have some changes for it to review and
possibly integrate (that is the pull request: you request the author
that pull your changes in its repository).

> how do I merge changes submitted?

Here you are the author/developer/owner of the repo and you have a queue
of pull request to review and possible to integrate changes made from
some other people.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Metacello chapter

Stéphane Ducasse
> Those are separate scenarios:

yes I know.
I just do not know the git commands :)

>> notify a project I have changes for it?
>
> Here you are contributor and are informing the original
> author/developer/owner that you have some changes for it to review and
> possibly integrate (that is the pull request: you request the author
> that pull your changes in its repository).
>
>> how do I merge changes submitted?
>
> Here you are the author/developer/owner of the repo and you have a queue
> of pull request to review and possible to integrate changes made from
> some other people.

12