Metaverse U at Stanford University

RichWhite
On May 29th and 30th Stanford University will be hosting Metaverse U
.. a conference discussing leading edge uses of virtual worlds and
open platforms.

If anyone would be interested in presenting the OpenCobalt project
Henrik Bennetsen has requested we contact him.

Henrik Bennetsen
[hidden email]
Associate Director
Stanford Humanities Lab
Stanford University

Wallenberg Hall, 450 Serra Mall
Building 160, Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2055, USA

[hidden email]
Cell: +1 415.418.4042
Fax: +1 650.725.0192

OpenGL extensions on AMD64 linux

Matthew Chadwick-2
Hi,

I've just moved to an AMD64 Ubuntu Linux machine and while I can run
Croquet and my images (derived from the Croquet1.0.25 image) I cannot
use OpenGL extensions.  All the standard OpenGL stuff runs fine, but my
code uses extensions like FBO, PBO (for GLSL computations) and I cannot
get these to work. Firstly, the *OGLExtManager reports that the various
extensions, like GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object are not present (i.e. ogl
extensions includes: extName returns false in loadExtension:), yet the
extensions are available on the hardware according to glxinfo (my card
is new). Looking at the contents of ogl extensions reveals that many of
the extensions available aren't in the set. Removing the check in
loadExtension: to allow the extension to be loaded anyway just results
in the VM crashing. I don't understand the FFI well enough to work this
one out myself -- what should I try ? All my code works fine on my other
machine (PPC iMac).

Many thanks,
Matthew

Re: OpenGL extensions on AMD64 linux

Darius Clarke
Hi Matthew,

It sounds like you don't have the proper Ubuntu Linux graphics drivers for your card.
First try Envy. If that doesn't work, try System>Administration>Restricted Drivers manager.

Are you using 32 bit Ubuntu or 64 bit Ubuntu?
If on 64 bit Ubuntu, check with the manufacturer for 64 bit drivers for your card.
If no 64 bit drivers are found, you may need to use 32 bit Ubuntu until the 64 bit drivers are available.

Also, google search how other folks installed graphics drivers for your card into Ubuntu. Be sure to include the graphics card make and model number.

Cheers,
Darius
______________

Matthew

Darius Clarke wrote:

It sounds like you don't have the proper Ubuntu Linux graphics drivers for your card.
First try Envy. If that doesn't work, try System>Administration>Restricted Drivers manager.

ok. I'm using the latest ATI driver I downloaded for my card (Radeon 4650) from AMD. Will look into the tool you mentioned...

Are you using 32 bit Ubuntu or 64 bit Ubuntu?
64 bit
If on 64 bit Ubuntu, check with the manufacturer for 64 bit drivers for your card.

will do. cheers...

yes it is.

Re: OpenGL extensions on AMD64 linux

Matthew Chadwick-2
problem solved. Thanks for making me think about the driver! I don't
know quite what I did, but I went through a cycle of uninstalling and
reinstalling the graphics driver, attempting and failing to use the
system>administration>hardware drivers tool to set the 'proprietary
driver', reconfiguring X, and tinkering with the ATI Catalyst tool.
Anyway it all works now hurray! Also I found that setting the display
preferences to use 'visual effects' (which I normally avoid) makes
Croquet run very fast.

Cheers!

BTW in case anyone else gets this problem, I installed the driver according to the instructions given by AMD on their site, I didn't use the Ubuntu driver install tool, though that may work too (I can't be bothered to try that path now that I've got it working). I had installed the driver this way to begin with, so I don't know quite why it didn't work then but nevermind. When I check System>Administration>Restricted Drivers manager it says "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver"..."A different version of this driver is in use".

Re: OpenGL extensions on AMD64 linux

Darius Clarke
Glad I could help. :)
Don't forget to give back to the community a little something of what you develop.

Cheers,
Darius
____________

Cheers!

Darius Clarke wrote:
> Glad I could help. :)
> Don't forget to give back to the community a little something of what
> you develop.

Oh yes I will, once the code is less embarrassing :-) It keeps changing.
Actually, on that point, I've added several things to the OGLExtManager
and GLExtConstants. What's the best way to package these changes ? Is
there a tutorial ? I'm new to Squeak and I've never distributed any
code...I understand Monticello is the preferred way these days ? Or
changesets ?

Re: OpenGL extensions on AMD64 linux

Darius Clarke
Monticello is best.
Send it to the Duke contribution repository.
http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions

Example screenshots attached.

But, you can just attach the changeset to a new issue in Mantis until you workout your Monticello workflow.
http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu/mantis/index.php

Cheers,
Darius

Contributions1.png (63K) Download Attachment
Contributions2.png (28K) Download Attachment

I've been trying to save a version as a test to my local squeakmap cache repository, but when I 'accept' the VM crashes with a segmentation fault - what could be wrong ? I thought it could be a permissions problem, but then I tried saving a version to a local subdirectory (the same one I can save my image to) and that does the same.