classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Method #release: Intention and Sender?

Gruenewald, Tom

Hello.
What is the actual intention of the method #release? And who should send or perform it?

For me #release was always the last action, performed by the garbage collector, before it send an object from the working memory (RAM) to the ultimate nirvana.
Alternatively I understood the #release method as opportunity, to force the garbage collector to release an object from the working memory.

The comment in class Object says:
"Remove references to objects that may refer to the receiver. Answers self.
This message should be overridden by subclasses with any cycles, in which
case the subclass should also include the expression super release."

Now I am confused. Had I a wrong understanding of the release method all the time? And the release method has in fact nothing to do with the memory release? Instead it simply breaks cycle dependents?
Must I be more concerned about the memory release? Until now I had relied (in most cases) on the automatic garbage collector.

Thank you for your answers. Maybe you can point me to any documentation.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

73446 Oberkochen, Germany
tel: +49.7364.20-8541

fax: +49.7364.20-4800
email: [hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH, Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561
USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

----------------------------------------
This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Method #release: Intention and Sender?

Andres Valloud-6
IME, the method #release is used to let go of resources that are registered and allocated while an object is expected to meet its obligations.  So, for example, if you have a UI that has dependents in terms of events, #release is a good place to break such dependencies.  In some other cases, #release can be used to deallocate OS resources.

Perhaps you are thinking of #finalize and #mourn instead of #release.  However, note that the garbage collector does not send these messages.  Rather, the image sends them.  Weak objects and ephemerons are put on a queue by the GC.  This queue is drained from the image, and it is up to the image to send #finalize and/or #mourn to these objects when necessary.

As usual, automatic GC removes weak objects and ephemerons when they are no longer referenced (not even from, for example, the finalization queue).  Typically, what happens with ephemerons is that the finalization action also removes references to them after they are triggered and stop being active ephemerons.  Hence, they get collected in the next GC cycle.  Weak references are zeroed out by the GC before weak objects are placed in the finalization queue.  Weak objects themselves, like any other objects, are collected when they are no longer referenced strongly.

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Gruenewald, Tom
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:37 AM
To: vwnc
Subject: [vwnc] Method #release: Intention and Sender?

Hello.
What is the actual intention of the method #release? And who should send or perform it?

For me #release was always the last action, performed by the garbage collector, before it send an object from the working memory (RAM) to the ultimate nirvana.
Alternatively I understood the #release method as opportunity, to force the garbage collector to release an object from the working memory.

Now I am confused. Had I a wrong understanding of the release method all the time? And the release method has in fact nothing to do with the memory release? Instead it simply breaks cycle dependents?
Must I be more concerned about the memory release? Until now I had relied (in most cases) on the automatic garbage collector.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH, Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen

This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

Reply | Threaded
|

Alan Knight-2
In reply to this post by Gruenewald, Tom
Yes, your impression was wrong. By default, the system will not send any message to objects which are garbage collected. Part of what makes the garbage collection fast is that it doesn't even look at the garbage objects - it goes over the live objects, and anything which wasn't live is dead, and is left behind in the previous space to be written over. Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the essence.

It is possible to register objects for finalization, with two different mechanisms, the older WeakArray method, which requires you to keep a copy of the object around to be send the message once the original is dead, and the newer Ephemeron method which sends it directly to the original object. But neither of these sends #release by default.

In general, once your application is done with an object you can send release to it. Some parts of the framework do this automatically, e.g. releasing window sub-components when the parent closes. But most of the time it's not necessary because the garbage collector will take care of it, and it's only required for cases where you have to do something like release operating system memory, or tell the database that you're done with the connection.

At 11:36 AM 2010-04-27, Gruenewald, Tom wrote:

Hello.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Reply | Threaded
|

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Weaklings package has some nice methods for handling expiring objects, for instance you can register something for cleanup when it's about to be GCed,

initialize
super initialize.
self mourn: [:dying | dying cleanup].

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

To: Gruenewald, Tom <[hidden email]>; vwnc <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tue Apr 27 09:25:18 2010
Subject: Re: [vwnc] Method #release: Intention and Sender?

Yes, your impression was wrong. By default, the system will not send any message to objects which are garbage collected. Part of what makes the garbage collection fast is that it doesn't even look at the garbage objects - it goes over the live objects, and anything which wasn't live is dead, and is left behind in the previous space to be written over. Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the essence.

It is possible to register objects for finalization, with two different mechanisms, the older WeakArray method, which requires you to keep a copy of the object around to be send the message once the original is dead, and the newer Ephemeron method which sends it directly to the original object. But neither of these sends #release by default.

In general, once your application is done with an object you can send release to it. Some parts of the framework do this automatically, e.g. releasing window sub-components when the parent closes. But most of the time it's not necessary because the garbage collector will take care of it, and it's only required for cases where you have to do something like release operating system memory, or tell the database that you're done with the connection.

Hello.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Terry Raymond

Tom

Over 20 years ago, #release assisted the garbage collector in collecting

objects. As part of its #release method, the object would nil out its

references. Old garbage collectors did not deal well with garbage

reference cycles.

Terry

===========================================================
Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>
===========================================================

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Gruenewald, Tom
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:37 AM
Subject: [vwnc] Method #release: Intention and Sender?

Hello.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

Reply | Threaded
|

Maarten Mostert-2
In reply to this post by Alan Knight-2
Currently I find that if I use huge Byte Arrays for PDF printing or LOB attachement my image increases in size (lost space not being reclaimed ?).
Are the things discussed here the ways to clean things properly.
Regards,
@+Maaten,
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:25 PM

Hello.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Andres Valloud-6
If you use large byte arrays that do not fit in large space, then you will create large old segments.  After the large segments are created, chances are objects other than the large byte arrays will find a nice home there.  If data compaction does not free the large segments completely, they won't be deallocated.  Thus, it may seem as if you are not "cleaning stuff up".  However, this scenario is normal and, typically, the memory policy will eventually take care of it.

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Maarten MOSTERT
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:32 PM

Currently I find that if I use huge Byte Arrays for PDF printing or LOB attachement my image increases in size (lost space not being reclaimed ?).
Are the things discussed here the ways to clean things properly.
Regards,
@+Maaten,
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:25 PM

Hello.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tomas Dvorak
One of the places where it is necessary to implement #release are the Views (DependentPart to be more exact) and various ProtocolAdaptor classes. They are dependent on the model, and they are being held strongly in the dependents field of the model, so if you just close the window, they are still being referenced from the model. Therefore, DependentPart >> #release sends a 'model removeDependent: self' in order to break this dependency. In more complicated situations (like reusing several subcanvases for displaying appropriate UIs for editing properties of some items in a list), breaking these dependencies correctly can become a serious pain. Is there any reason these dependencies are not weak? Taking care of references manually reminds me of my C++ days, and I can't exactly say I remember them with a joyful nostalgia :)

Best regards,
     Tomas Dvorak

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:36:43 +0200, Gruenewald, Tom
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hello.
> What is the actual intention of the method #release? And who should send
> or
> perform it?
>
> For me #release was always the last action, performed by the garbage
> collector, before it send an object from the working memory (RAM) to the
> ultimate nirvana.
> Alternatively I understood the #release method as opportunity, to force
> the
> garbage collector to release an object from the working memory.
>
> The comment in class Object says:
> "Remove references to objects that may refer to the receiver. Answers
> self.
> This message should be overridden by subclasses with any cycles, in
> which
> case the subclass should also include the expression super release."
>
> Now I am confused. Had I a wrong understanding of the release method all
> the time? And the release method has in fact nothing to do with the
> memory
> release? Instead it simply breaks cycle dependents?
> Must I be more concerned about the memory release? Until now I had relied
> (in most cases) on the automatic garbage collector.
>
> Thank you for your answers. Maybe you can point me to any documentation.
>
> Best regards,
> Tom Grünewald
>
> ________
>
> Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
> Softwareentwicklung/Software Development
>
> T o m G r ü n e w a l d
>
> 73446 Oberkochen, Germany
> tel: +49.7364.20-8541
> fax: +49.7364.20-4800
> email: [hidden email]
> http://www.zeiss.de/imt
>
> Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH, Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447
> Oberkochen
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561
> USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346
>
> ----------------------------------------
> This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain
> business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error,
> please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of
> this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or
> forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.