Method too long to color!

jtuchel
Hi,

I'm in the process of editing a long _PRAGMA_ method for a DLL's error codes.

Now that the mothad has reached a certain length, every Ctrl+V leads to a popup that tells me the method is too long to color. Since I can do nothing about it, I'd like to not be reminded that often. I know it's too long, but it has to - sorry!

So if this hasn't been changed since 8.5.0, please change it as soon as possible.

Joachim

Re: Method too long to color!

Louis LaBrunda
Hi,

+1

I too am a little tired of the reminder.  Maybe, if it isn't too hard, a small indicator could be displayed in the browser that wold indicate the method was too long to color.

Lou

On Monday, September 17, 2012 8:29:21 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the process of editing a long _PRAGMA_ method for a DLL's error codes.

Now that the mothad has reached a certain length, every Ctrl+V leads to a popup that tells me the method is too long to color. Since I can do nothing about it, I'd like to not be reminded that often. I know it's too long, but it has to - sorry!

So if this hasn't been changed since 8.5.0, please change it as soon as possible.

Joachim

Re: Method too long to color!

Seth Berman
+1 :)

I'll bring this up at our next planning meeting because I also agree.
In the meantime, I have some scripts that run whenever I open a clean image and one of the action is the following which should fix the issue for now.

StsPowerTools
parseTreeMaxMethodTextSize: SmallInteger largest;
updateSyntaxColors

On Monday, September 17, 2012 8:29:21 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the process of editing a long _PRAGMA_ method for a DLL's error codes.

Now that the mothad has reached a certain length, every Ctrl+V leads to a popup that tells me the method is too long to color. Since I can do nothing about it, I'd like to not be reminded that often. I know it's too long, but it has to - sorry!

So if this hasn't been changed since 8.5.0, please change it as soon as possible.

Joachim

Re: Method too long to color!

Dusty-2
+another1

Thanks Seth, that's a big help.
Also, on similar lines, is it just me or does TrailBlazer not do
syntax colors? If it doesn't, can it? will it?

Thanks

On 9/17/12, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 :)
>
> I'll bring this up at our next planning meeting because I also agree.
> In the meantime, I have some scripts that run whenever I open a clean image
>
> and one of the action is the following which should fix the issue for now.
>
> StsPowerTools
> parseTreeMaxMethodTextSize: SmallInteger largest;
> updateSyntaxColors
>
> On Monday, September 17, 2012 8:29:21 AM UTC-4, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in the process of editing a long _PRAGMA_ method for a DLL's error
>> codes.
>>
>> Now that the mothad has reached a certain length, every Ctrl+V leads to a
>>
>> popup that tells me the method is too long to color. Since I can do
>> nothing
>> about it, I'd like to not be reminded that often. I know it's too long,
>> but
>> it has to - sorry!
>>
>> So if this hasn't been changed since 8.5.0, please change it as soon as
>> possible.
>>
>> Joachim

Re: Method too long to color!

Thomas Koschate-2
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:10:27 AM UTC-4, Dusty wrote:

Also, on similar lines, is it just me or does TrailBlazer not do
syntax colors? If it doesn't, can it? will it?

TrailBlazer doesn't do anything provided by VA Assist Pro, including refactoring.  I took a brief look at trying to make it happen a long time ago, and decided the effort just wasn't worth it.  You'll likely find that Instantiations reached the same conclusion, but I do miss TrailBlazer!

For whoever is keeping score, I also would really prefer to not be told every time a method is too long to colour.

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:29:05 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
This will be fixed in the next release.
Case opened 50035

I assume this case is in reference to the code colouring issue - it's too much to hope that TrailBlazer might actually get fixed, right?

Re: Method too long to color!

Seth Berman
Hi Thomas...yes this case is to fix the code colouring issue.
I will bring up TrailBlazer enhancements with the team, as well.

-Seth

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:01:10 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:

I will bring up TrailBlazer enhancements with the team, as well.

I'm not holding my breath on that one, unless Instantiations is in a mood to completely re-develop its browser technology (not that this might not be a bad idea).  IIRC, TrailBlazer is reminiscent of some Squeak browser (the Omnibrowser?), and it might make a worthy VA Smalltalk tool, but it won't be a small undertaking.

Re: Method too long to color!

jtuchel
Seth,

Thanks for that snippet. Work is much more fun now.
I wonder why this limit has been introduced in the first place. Presumably somebody feared performance problems...

Joachim

Am Montag, 17. September 2012 18:23:48 UTC+2 schrieb Seth Berman:
[...]

Joachim,

I was just reviewing some of the timestamps of those methods and found that around that time Intel had just released a state of the art 333Mhz P2 processor with MMX that costs well over 1000USD (adjusted for inflation).
So yes...I think you are correct:)

-- Seth