MethodName is now Finder

Benjamin Van Ryseghem
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks benjamin
we will have a look.
This was a cool feeling to see you coding all evenings :)

On Sep 18, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Benjamin Van Ryseghem wrote:

> Hello everyone ^^
>
> After a week in ESUG and thanks to Alain and Tobias, I've improved the Finder tool :)
>
> To test it, you have to download :
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
> package: 'NullTextStyler';
> load
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
> package: 'DialogItemsChooser';
> load
>
> and the last but not the least :
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
> package: 'Finder';
> load
>
> It works only on Pharo 1.2 and you will probably have an error due to an issue about PluggableTextMorph : http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2973
>
> To open it, just click World >> Tools >> Finder
>

> Ben

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Benjamin Van Ryseghem
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Stéphane Ducasse
cool :)

Stef

On Sep 19, 2010, at 8:53 PM, Benjamin Van Ryseghem wrote:

> I've fix some bug and discover how to script packages loading ^^
>
> Now, just run
>

> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfFinder';
> load
>
> ConfigurationOfFinder loadDefault
>

> Ben

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Gary Chambers-4
Very nice!

Regards, Gary

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/9/19 Benjamin Van Ryseghem <[hidden email]>
I've fix some bug and discover how to script packages loading ^^

Now, just run

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
package: 'ConfigurationOfFinder';
load

ConfigurationOfFinder loadDefault

So....you saw our talk with Dale?  Hope that helped and don't hesistate to ask further questions.

I have a question...for the future of Pharo 1.2....what will happen with Method names and method finder?  Will both of them removed and put instead this new finder?
I ask because I wonder if we need or not to include these packages in PharoCore...
So...in summary...all these changes will be part of core or is the dev also involved?

Cheers

Mariano

Ben

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Marcus Denker-4

I have a question...for the future of Pharo 1.2....what will happen with Method names and method finder?  Will both of them removed and put instead this new finder?
I ask because I wonder if we need or not to include these packages in PharoCore...
So...in summary...all these changes will be part of core or is the dev also involved?

Core for now. And not as it's own package, but as part of the Tools package.

Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/9/20 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>

I have a question...for the future of Pharo 1.2....what will happen with Method names and method finder?  Will both of them removed and put instead this new finder?
I ask because I wonder if we need or not to include these packages in PharoCore...
So...in summary...all these changes will be part of core or is the dev also involved?

Core for now. And not as it's own package, but as part of the Tools package.

Excellent. So I guess that at some point (would like to see it 1.2) when this tool gets stable and reviewed it will be integrated and removed old tools?

mariano

Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Gary Chambers-4
Fine by me... ;-)

Regards, Gary

Re: MethodName is now Finder

yes
We should take the time to nuke the old tools. Ideally I would like to get also the logic of the finder to be fixed

Now we broke method finder (snifff) because 1 . 2 . 3 does not find +
sad because I like this tool.

Stef

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes
We should take the time to nuke the old tools.

why we need to nuke them?  we cannot directly remove them?  or there are code using it? I thought only final users should use them and only from the menu.

Ideally I would like to get also the logic of the finder to be fixed

which logic?  are you talking about the new finder?

Now we broke method finder (snifff) because 1 . 2 . 3 does not find +
sad because I like this tool.

but this is working on the new finder, isn't it ?

Stef

On Sep 20, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/9/20 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
>>

>> I have a question...for the future of Pharo 1.2....what will happen with Method names and method finder?  Will both of them removed and put instead this new finder?
>> I ask because I wonder if we need or not to include these packages in PharoCore...
>> So...in summary...all these changes will be part of core or is the dev also involved?
>>
> Core for now. And not as it's own package, but as part of the Tools package.
>

> Excellent. So I guess that at some point (would like to see it 1.2) when this tool gets stable and reviewed it will be integrated and removed old tools?
>
> mariano
>

>       Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Stéphane Ducasse
What is important is to have a really simple and intuitive tool interface.
Indeed removing the other tools may be simple. I thought the same with RecentMessage but this is not the case
with the superclass.

> which logic?  are you talking about the new finder?

how the finder is working. Right now it has several lists of symbols and they can be completely desynchronized
from the methods in the system.

>  Now we broke method finder (snifff) because 1 . 2 . 3 does not find +
> sad because I like this tool.
>
> but this is working on the new finder, isn't it ?

Yes is does and I do not understand why :)

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Benjamin

I would rename patterns into example-based
Then
        when on selector
                I would propose classes if the guy type something that looks like a class or a part of a class name
        similarly on class
                I would propose selector if the guy started to type something like a selectors
The idea is to help the user as much as possible.
We did the same with the sender and implementor, you can browse a class if you type Point and press cmd-M instead of cmd-B

Else did you try to remove the progress bar?
because this looks strange.

Stef

> I've fix some bug and discover how to script packages loading ^^
>
> Now, just run
>

> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfFinder';
> load
>
> ConfigurationOfFinder loadDefault
>

> Ben

Re: MethodName is now Finder

Simon Denier-3

On 20 sept. 2010, at 20:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Benjamin
>
> I would rename patterns into example-based
> Then
> when on selector
> I would propose classes if the guy type something that looks like a class or a part of a class name
> similarly on class
> I would propose selector if the guy started to type something like a selectors
> The idea is to help the user as much as possible.
> We did the same with the sender and implementor, you can browse a class if you type Point and press cmd-M instead of cmd-B

Yep, did you have a look the Mercury search bar in OB? It has a nifty syntax to look for:
- ClassName (starts with uppercase, look up class definition)
- #ClassName (look up class references)
- method (starts with lowercase, look up implementors)
- #method (look up senders)
- 'string' (look up for string in methods (not the same as look up in method source, which is much slower))

I would rename 'select classes' into something else, 'scoping classes', because it is really about the scope.
Actually, I would love to extend the Mercury syntax to be able to scope things.

> Else did you try to remove the progress bar?
> because this looks strange.
>
> Stef
>
>> I've fix some bug and discover how to script packages loading ^^
>>
>> Now, just run
>>

>> Gofer new
>> squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfFinder';
>> load
>>
>> ConfigurationOfFinder loadDefault
>>

>> Ben

 Simon

Re: MethodName is now Finder

may be we could integrate that with the method finder?
Now it would be good not to have to reimplement everything yet another time.

Stef