MethodName

Benjamin Van Ryseghem
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MethodName

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks benjamin
marcus wanted that since years :)

I will integrate NullStyler and I should go over your other improvements... but the weather is too good :)
soon will the rain I will be more productive :)

Stef (cutting the lawn)
        http://www.hondaireland.ie/Images/ContentBuilder/Lhfas1.jpg
not quite :)

On Aug 22, 2010, at 3:09 AM, Benjamin Van Ryseghem wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm working on a new project which consist in merging MethodFinder and MessagesName.
>
> The first usable release can be loaded here :
>
> Gofer new
>         squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
>         package: 'MethodName';
>         load.
>
> and it needs NullTextStyler
>
> Gofer new
>         squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
>         package: 'NullTextStyler';
>         load.
>
> To open a Method Name browser, just clic World > Tools > Method Name or
> MethodName new openInWorld.
>

> If you have advice or ideas, I'll thank you a lot ^^
>

> Benjamin

Re: MethodName

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:09 AM, Benjamin Van Ryseghem <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'm working on a new project which consist in merging MethodFinder and MessagesName.

The first usable release can be loaded here :

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
        package: 'MethodName';
        load.

and it needs NullTextStyler

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
        package: 'NullTextStyler';
        load.

To open a Method Name browser, just clic World > Tools > Method Name or
MethodName new openInWorld.

Hi Benjamin. Thanks a lot for all the work you are doing. When we start to build PharoDev 1.2 I would like to include your new recent submission and this method finder.
It is very good idea to merge both, as it was very confusing.

Here is my feedback

1) You have to provide a help text somewhere. Ok, entering a message name is easy. For example, if I want to see all messages like #setUp for example. That's intuitive. But, if I want to search the method that sending to an object 'aaa' answers me 'AAA', it is not intuitive to type: 'aaa' . 'AAA' . so....this should be explained somewhere. Maybe you can add a text explaining this (like it was in the previous tool) in the code panel. Because when you first open MethodName, the code panel is empy...you can use is and write there the text. Of course, an extra button help would be nice too :)

2) In addition to 1) writing a HelpSystem chapter / Pharo Collaborative book is important. What I mean is that if we are going to include a new tool in the Pharo mainstream, then it should be easy to use and documented.

3) The scroll of "change search envirorment" is veryyyyyyy slow. I know it is not "your" fault, but maybe someone can give you an idea of how to improve this. Maybe Tudor, Alexandre, Lukas, Gary...I don't know.

4) Most of the buttons are confusing because you don't know when you should be able to use them. For example, all the button (browse, senders, etc) are only usable when you select a specific implementor. But

a) they are not disable at the beginning (before choosing a selector), thus someone would try to use them just after selecting a method name.

b) not all of them require an implementor. For example, to search the senders, I don't need to select a particular implementor. Just having the selector is enough.

So...I would put those buttons inside the right panel (where you list the implementors) or disable (grey) them when not needed.

5) This one is difficult to explain....Take method name and type in the serach inpit: 'aaa' . 'AAA'. Hit serach and you will see 'aaa' asUppercase -> 'AAA' listed in the left panel. If you click EVERYWHERE inside that panel, the first one is selected. Thus, it is easy and fast becasue you DONT need to go the the first raw and mark it. Ok?

Now....do the same but write "setUp". You will see several methods that match that. Select any of them, and in the right panel you will have a list. A lot of times, there is one implementor. And of course you want that....but doing the same of the previous case doesn't work. You have to go exactly to that raw in order to select it.

okok...I know, I am lazy :)

Thanks again for this

Mariano

If you have advice or ideas, I'll thank you a lot ^^

Benjamin

Re: [Pharo-project] MethodName

Stéphane Ducasse

> Hi Benjamin. Thanks a lot for all the work you are doing. When we start to build PharoDev 1.2 I would like to include your new recent submission and this method finder.

I want to integrate recentMessage to replace the default one.
Same for the new Finder once it is ready.
I did not have the time.
I think that this is important to take the time to rethink what we want.

> It is very good idea to merge both, as it was very confusing.
>
> Here is my feedback
>
> 1) You have to provide a help text somewhere. Ok, entering a message name is easy. For example, if I want to see all messages like #setUp for example. That's intuitive. But, if I want to search the method that sending to an object 'aaa' answers me 'AAA', it is not intuitive to type: 'aaa' . 'AAA' . so....this should be explained somewhere. Maybe you can add a text explaining this (like it was in the previous tool) in the code panel. Because when you first open MethodName, the code panel is empy...you can use is and write there the text. Of course, an extra button help would be nice too :)
>
> 2) In addition to 1) writing a HelpSystem chapter / Pharo Collaborative book is important. What I mean is that if we are going to include a new tool in the Pharo mainstream, then it should be easy to use and documented.
>
> 3) The scroll of "change search envirorment" is veryyyyyyy slow. I know it is not "your" fault, but maybe someone can give you an idea of how to improve this. Maybe Tudor, Alexandre, Lukas, Gary...I don't know.
>
> 4) Most of the buttons are confusing because you don't know when you should be able to use them. For example, all the button (browse, senders, etc) are only usable when you select a specific implementor. But
>
> a) they are not disable at the beginning (before choosing a selector), thus someone would try to use them just after selecting a method name.
>
> b) not all of them require an implementor. For example, to search the senders, I don't need to select a particular implementor. Just having the selector is enough.
>
> So...I would put those buttons inside the right panel (where you list the implementors) or disable (grey) them when not needed.
>
> 5) This one is difficult to explain....Take method name and type in the serach inpit: 'aaa' . 'AAA'. Hit serach and you will see 'aaa' asUppercase -> 'AAA' listed in the left panel. If you click EVERYWHERE inside that panel, the first one is selected. Thus, it is easy and fast becasue you DONT need to go the the first raw and mark it. Ok?
>
> Now....do the same but write "setUp". You will see several methods that match that. Select any of them, and in the right panel you will have a list. A lot of times, there is one implementor. And of course you want that....but doing the same of the previous case doesn't work. You have to go exactly to that raw in order to select it.
>
> okok...I know, I am lazy :)
>
> Thanks again for this
>
> Mariano
>

> If you have advice or ideas, I'll thank you a lot ^^
>

> Benjamin

Re: MethodName

Benjamin Van Ryseghem
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MethodName

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Benjamin Van Ryseghem <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody

I came back with a new version of Method Name with a better Package Chooser and more choices about the search :)

I hope it's useful but if there is some behaviour you would like the Method Name implements, just let me know

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
        package: 'MethodName';
        load.

Hi Ben. This is muuuch cooler :)

There are 2 things I suggest you:

1) Whenever you send something in order to let people to test is, send in which Pharo version should we load it. It is not enough saying Pharo 1.2 for example. Maybe you need to say 12XXX because in THAT version NullStyler was integrated.

2) You should send this kind of mails to [hidden email]  instead of [hidden email]

Bugs I found:

- Search a "class name" and put "ImageSeg*". You will see a list of results. Selet ImageSegment for example. Then, select again "selector" instead of "Class names"
If you then click again in of the resulted classes, there is a DNU UndefinedObject doesNotUnderstand: #methodClass.
In MethodNameUI >> sourceCode where it does:

self selectedClass value methodClass

 I attach PharoDebug.log

Thank you

Ben

PharoDebug.log (470K) Download Attachment

Re: MethodName

Benjamin Van Ryseghem
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MethodName

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks a lot benjamin.
You do not imagine how we like seeing the old tools rejuvenated :)
Thanks again.

Stef