Methods not recognized (?)

PabloEstefo
Hi everyone!

I'm porting Roassal (http://objectprofile.com/Roassal) from Pharo to Amber.

I'm using the version downloaded from the website: NicolasPetton-amber-0.9.1-534-gd47a541

After a few fixes and corrections on generated smalltalk category files, almost every package gets compiled with no errors(actually there is only one with errors but i'll fix it later, it is not a dependency of any other).

The thing is that I've got this two weird errors.

Evaluating "ROElement on: 3" which calls the following methods:

ROElement class >> on: anObject
^ self basicNew on: anObject; initialize; yourself
ROElement >> on: anObject
"Set the object model of myself. The object model is used by the shape when computing metrics that may be used by the shapes"

self model: anObject
ROElement >> model: anObject
super model: anObject.
I get the error "nil does not understand #model:" I fixed it after rewriting ROElement>>model: (clean the pane and rewrite with the same it has before and save it).

Then, when I run the tests, almost every test failed because of "nil does not understand #setUp". When i tried to run test cases from amber's core that have setUp methods they passed. I get the same errors but with other already
implemented methods that appears as "not understood".

All packages and stuff to reproduce it is here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1573200/RoassalAmber.zip
Just unzip it, and move "projects" folder to amber directory… there is a README on projects/roassal. For installing you can just skip the second step because I already made that. Any comment, feedback, correction or critic please make it, I'll be happy to read them.

If someone could help me would be great
Thank you in advance.

Re: Methods not recognized (?)

Herby Vojčík

Pablo Estefó wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm porting Roassal (http://objectprofile.com/Roassal) from Pharo to Amber.
>
> I'm using the version downloaded from the website:
> NicolasPetton-amber-0.9.1-534-gd47a541
>
> After a few fixes and corrections on generated smalltalk category files,
> almost every package gets compiled with no errors(actually there is only
> one with errors but i'll fix it later, it is not a dependency of any other).
>
> The thing is that I've got this two weird errors.
>
> Evaluating "ROElement on: 3" which calls the following methods:
>
> ROElement class >> on: anObject
> ^ self basicNew on: anObject; initialize; yourself
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ROElement >> on: anObject
> "Set the object model of myself. The object model is used by the shape
> when computing metrics that may be used by the shapes"
>
> self model: anObject
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ROElement >> model: anObject
> super model: anObject.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I get the error "nil does not understand #model:" I fixed it after

`nil does not understand #foo` is most often the result of super call if
it appears in a situation where the superclass as compiled is not loaded
present. Supercall is compiled with hardcoded reference to superclass
via its name; but it can end up as undefined (represented in smalltalk
like nil), if the class with that name doesn't exist (is not loaded
because of bad order; or if superclass was renamed, subclass reparented
but super-calling methods were not recompiled - they need to, because of
that hardcoded reference).

Herby

> rewriting ROElement>>model: (clean the pane and rewrite with the same it
> has before and save it).
>
> Then, when I run the tests, almost every test failed because of "nil
> does not understand #setUp". When i tried to run test cases from amber's
> core that have setUp methods they passed. I get the same errors but with
> other already
> implemented methods that appears as "not understood".
>
> All packages and stuff to reproduce it is here:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1573200/RoassalAmber.zip
> Just unzip it, and move "projects" folder to amber directory… there is a
> README on projects/roassal. For installing you can just skip the second
> step because I already made that. Any comment, feedback, correction or
> critic please make it, I'll be happy to read them.
>
> If someone could help me would be great
> Thank you in advance.

Re: Methods not recognized (?)

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Pablo,

I can have a look at your problem once some other compiler errors have been fixed.

Best,
Manfred