Microdown ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

What is microdown ?
What are its goals and objectives ?
Where does it come from ?
Is there any documentation about it ?

There probably is a background story here, and it is probably a good idea, but unless I missed something, for me reading the mailing lists daily, it came from nowhere and got immediately integrated into Pharo 9.

Sven

Re: Microdown ?

hogoww
Hi Sven,

I cannot say much as I was following this from afar, but the github
repository should give you some answers :)
https://github.com/pillar-markup/MicroDown

Pierre

On 07/07/2020 11:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is microdown ?
> What are its goals and objectives ?
> Where does it come from ?
> Is there any documentation about it ?
>
> There probably is a background story here, and it is probably a good idea, but unless I missed something, for me reading the mailing lists daily, it came from nowhere and got immediately integrated into Pharo 9.
>
> Sven

Re: Microdown ?

NorbertHartl
Microdown is a subset of markdown that can parse to a pillar model. So the discussions about pillar markup have finally settled and we have a syntax format that reads well in ascii which can be used in class comments even if it is a basic image.
To integrate pillar core in pharo is not new just the change in syntax.

> Am 07.07.2020 um 11:27 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> What is microdown ?
> What are its goals and objectives ?
> Where does it come from ?
> Is there any documentation about it ?
>
> There probably is a background story here, and it is probably a good idea, but unless I missed something, for me reading the mailing lists daily, it came from nowhere and got immediately integrated into Pharo 9.
>
> Sven

Re: Microdown ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Thank you, Pierre and Norbert.

> On 7 Jul 2020, at 14:32, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Microdown is a subset of markdown that can parse to a pillar model. So the discussions about pillar markup have finally settled and we have a syntax format that reads well in ascii which can be used in class comments even if it is a basic image.
> To integrate pillar core in pharo is not new just the change in syntax.
>
>> Am 07.07.2020 um 11:27 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is microdown ?
>> What are its goals and objectives ?
>> Where does it come from ?
>> Is there any documentation about it ?
>>
>> There probably is a background story here, and it is probably a good idea, but unless I missed something, for me reading the mailing lists daily, it came from nowhere and got immediately integrated into Pharo 9.
>>
>> Sven

Re: Microdown ?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
With MicroPrint, you can do this:

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On 07-07-2020, at 14:07, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list wrote
> With MicroPrint, you can do this:

Was that a typo, or is there another library called "MicroPrint"?!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Microdown ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
NorbertHartl wrote
> Microdown is a subset of markdown that can parse to a pillar model. So the
> discussions about pillar markup have finally settled and we have a syntax
> format that reads well in ascii which can be used in class comments even
> if it is a basic image.

Rich text comments are an exciting development!

I'd like to understand the benefit of Microdown vs. full Pillar syntax.
Presumably the primary benefit is the size of the codebase. Any other
reasons?

Generally, I wonder about minimalism when it applies to areas of the system
that seem inherently non-minimalist e.g. test harnesses, documentation, etc.
I though a lot about this when trying to document and refactor SDL. The lack
of a mock library in core was a big barrier to understanding the
interactions between SDL objects. Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like if
someone wants a minimal image, they're not going to want to load SUnit or
rich text documentation *at all*, so I don't see the risk-benefit of
crippling these features.

A few other questions about the "rich text doc" roadmap:
1. Could/will this be extended to method comments? That would be really cool
:)
2. How close are we for someone to use full Pillar syntax in class comments
in their own library? Any plans to make this possible?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean