Migrated SS/Growl to Pharo/Archive

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

since growl has been integrated to Pharo I migrated the SS project to the Pharo/Archive one.

Re: Migrated SS/Growl to Pharo/Archive

Mariano Martinez Peck
Stef, now that you are migrating everything to SmalltalkHub, are you:

- putting a big text in the old repositories saying "PROJECT XXX WAS MOVED TO YYY". Because then we run in problems where people refer/commit to old repos
- make old project repo read only

?

cheers,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

since growl has been integrated to Pharo I migrated the SS project to the Pharo/Archive one.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Migrated SS/Growl to Pharo/Archive

stephane ducasse

> Stef, now that you are migrating everything to SmalltalkHub, are you:
>
> - putting a big text in the old repositories saying "PROJECT XXX WAS MOVED TO YYY". Because then we run in problems where people refer/commit to old repos
> - make old project repo read only

I did it for all the projects that I administrate.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stef, now that you are migrating everything to SmalltalkHub, are you:
>
> - putting a big text in the old repositories saying "PROJECT XXX WAS MOVED TO YYY". Because then we run in problems where people refer/commit to old repos
> - make old project repo read only

I did it for all the projects that I administrate.

Excellent :)

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Migrated SS/Growl to Pharo/Archive

Ben Coman
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM, stephane ducasse
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>>> Stef, now that you are migrating everything to SmalltalkHub, are you:
>>>
>>> - putting a big text in the old repositories saying "PROJECT XXX WAS
>>>
>> MOVED TO YYY". Because then we run in problems where people refer/commit to
>> old repos
>>
>>> - make old project repo read only
>>>
>> I did it for all the projects that I administrate.
>>

> Excellent :)

I am wondering if perhaps someone accessing one of those repositories
via Monticello might miss that.  Perhaps a final package with filename
"package.movedToSmalltalkhub.mcz" would be useful (or maybe just overkill)

<[hidden email]>wrote:

Stef, now that you are migrating everything to SmalltalkHub, are you:

- putting a big text in the old repositories saying "PROJECT XXX WAS

MOVED TO YYY". Because then we run in problems where people refer/commit to
old repos

- make old project repo read only

I did it for all the projects that I administrate.

Excellent :)

I am wondering if perhaps someone accessing one of those repositories via Monticello might miss that.  Perhaps a final package with filename "package.movedToSmalltalkhub.mcz" would be useful (or maybe just overkill)

Yes, I was thinking the same for "deprecating a package".  In fuel we have lots of packages that with newer versions are deprecated. And when you browse with Monticello you still see them around... Moving them to another repo is not an option because it would mean to update all previous versions in ConfgiurationOfFuel.  So I was also thinking about committing a last version like: FuelXXXDeprecated-THIS_PACKAGE_IS_DEPRECATED.nnn.mzc.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Migrated SS/Growl to Pharo/Archive

Ben Coman
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>>> Excellent :)
>>>

>> I am wondering if perhaps someone accessing one of those repositories via
>> Monticello might miss that.  Perhaps a final package with filename
>> "package.movedToSmalltalkhub.**mcz" would be useful (or maybe just
>> overkill)
>>

> Yes, I was thinking the same for "deprecating a package".  In fuel we have
> lots of packages that with newer versions are deprecated. And when you
> browse with Monticello you still see them around... Moving them to another
> repo is not an option because it would mean to update all previous versions
> in ConfgiurationOfFuel.  So I was also thinking about committing a last
> version like: FuelXXXDeprecated-THIS_PACKAGE_IS_DEPRECATED.nnn.mzc.
>
>  Cheers,

To ensure it sorts in a proper order, by default (unless you have tested
somethign else) I would keep as close to the standard package filename
as possible and just replace the Author with 'Deprecated'.
eg: FuelXXX-Author.nnn.mcz might be FuelXXX-DeprecatedUseFuelYYY.nnn+1.mcz