Migrating among different Pharo releases

Migrating among different Pharo releases

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. I think we need to improve the changes/changelog between Pharo versions: 1.0, 1.1 etc. In addition, we need to document somewhere, how external packages maitainers should update their code. Sometimes, with a deprecated it is easy as you can say which other message to use instead. However, removing TheWorldMenu, FillInTheBlank, Preferences, etc  it is more complicated as you cannot deprecated.  So...if we want maintainers of external packages to update their versions to work with Pharo 1.1 we should document and explain what to do for these situations. For example, I have NO IDEA what to do with code that has references to those classes. Seriously, I don't have idea how to fix them.

I propose something like Seaside at least:   http://www.seaside.st/documentation/migration/28to30

Maybe the best start point is:  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotOne

Sorry I cannot help by myself with this. I am just speaking in case someone can know and can spent few hours and help with this.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Migrating among different Pharo releases

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks mariano
        http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/FixingUnderscores/

On May 10, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks. I think we need to improve the changes/changelog between Pharo versions: 1.0, 1.1 etc. In addition, we need to document somewhere, how external packages maitainers should update their code. Sometimes, with a deprecated it is easy as you can say which other message to use instead. However, removing TheWorldMenu, FillInTheBlank, Preferences, etc  it is more complicated as you cannot deprecated.  So...if we want maintainers of external packages to update their versions to work with Pharo 1.1 we should document and explain what to do for these situations. For example, I have NO IDEA what to do with code that has references to those classes. Seriously, I don't have idea how to fix them.
>
> I propose something like Seaside at least:   http://www.seaside.st/documentation/migration/28to30
>
> Maybe the best start point is:  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotOne
>
> Sorry I cannot help by myself with this. I am just speaking in case someone can know and can spent few hours and help with this.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Migrating among different Pharo releases

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On May 11, 2010, at 1:41 53PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/FixingUnderscores/

Disclaimer: I haven't used it personally,  but the code found in .cs in the thread at:

http://forum.world.st/Can-i-has-underscores-td1839755i20.html
might also be a worthy addition to that page.(Compared to FixUnderscores, it can be used to fix at fileIn-time, rather than on packages already in image)

Looking shortly at the code, it might look like you're in for nasty surprises if trying using it to read anything but BOM-marked utf8 or MacRoman files though :)

Cheers,
Henry