Migrating from VSE

S Krish
Can anyone can throw in the challenges in migrating VSE into Pharo..

UI -> Morphic a big change..

rest of the code -> Pharo base.. do we have grease / or anything akin.. to ease migration

Or is it simply the same effort as pushng this into VW where it would stand better guarantees..? both from a corporate plan/ support etc.

Re: Migrating from VSE

Philippe Marschall-2
On 02/23/2012 09:27 AM, S Krish wrote:
> Can anyone can throw in the challenges in migrating VSE into Pharo..
>
> UI ->  Morphic a big change..
>
> rest of the code ->  Pharo base.. do we have grease / or anything akin.. to
> ease migration

Grease helps only if you're code is already written against Grease.
Otherwise you'll first have to port to Grease. At which point you might
just as well port to your target dialect. The same applies for other
libraries such as SPort. Grease only covers a small subset of what
applications usually need, it is mostly targeted at web applications.
Grease for example does not cover sockets, files or XML.

> Or is it simply the same effort as pushng this into VW where it would stand
> better guarantees..? both from a corporate plan/ support etc.

Grease should work on any dialect where Seaside 3 runs.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Migrating from VSE

Andreas Wacknitz
Krish,

Am 23.02.2012 um 09:27 schrieb S Krish:

> Can anyone can throw in the challenges in migrating VSE into Pharo..
>
> UI -> Morphic a big change..
>
> rest of the code -> Pharo base.. do we have grease / or anything akin.. to ease migration
>
> Or is it simply the same effort as pushng this into VW where it would stand better guarantees..? both from a corporate plan/ support etc.
I don't know if you have already heard of LSW Smalltalk. A few years ago they tried to establish a replacement for VSE.
As far as I remember it was based on a VM by Lesser Software and image parts of Dolphin Smalltalk.
I don't know its actual state but you might contact Lesser Software to get details.

Regards,
Andreas

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

R: Migrating from VSE