Migration from VW to Pharo

Sreenath
Hello All,

I just wanted to know if we have any tools for which we can make use of to migrate VW code base into Pharo. If something is there please let me know or your suggestion d to port it.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Sree

Re: Migration from VW to Pharo

Esteban A. Maringolo
There is this tool: https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT

I used it with a few packages with no special Namespace and it worked just fine.

It provides, however, several settings to map namespaces, packages,
etc, so it should work.

It only works in Linux though, because of the dependency to external
process calls.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:53 AM Sreenath G K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I just wanted to know if we have any tools for which we can make use of to migrate VW code base into Pharo. If something is there please let me know or your suggestion d to port it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sree

Re: Migration from VW to Pharo

Sreenath
Hey,

Unfortunately I have Windows though. I will have a look at it. Thanks for letting me know

Best Regards,
Sree

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019, 5:27 PM Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is this tool: https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT

I used it with a few packages with no special Namespace and it worked just fine.

It provides, however, several settings to map namespaces, packages,
etc, so it should work.

It only works in Linux though, because of the dependency to external
process calls.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:53 AM Sreenath G K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I just wanted to know if we have any tools for which we can make use of to migrate VW code base into Pharo. If something is there please let me know or your suggestion d to port it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sree

Re: Migration from VW to Pharo

Esteban A. Maringolo
You can migrate from Store to a git repository using a virtual machine
with Linux and then continue working on Windows.

It is certainly going to be simpler than having to export
packages/bundles manually from VisualWorks.

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:51 AM Sreenath G K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Unfortunately I have Windows though. I will have a look at it. Thanks for letting me know
>
> Best Regards,
> Sree
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019, 5:27 PM Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There is this tool: https://github.com/GemTalk/SETT
>>
>> I used it with a few packages with no special Namespace and it worked just fine.
>>
>> It provides, however, several settings to map namespaces, packages,
>> etc, so it should work.
>>
>> It only works in Linux though, because of the dependency to external
>> process calls.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:53 AM Sreenath G K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello All,
>> >
>> > I just wanted to know if we have any tools for which we can make use of to migrate VW code base into Pharo. If something is there please let me know or your suggestion d to port it.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Best Regards,
>> > Sree

Re: Migration from VW to Pharo

Christian Haider

There is the bundle {Gemstone Fileout Project} in the public store (MIT license).

Some information about it is at [1] and in the slides of the “PDF for Gemstone” talk at ESUG 2017 [2].

It is a generic code transformation machinery controlled by a declarative specification of changes to be applied to the source code (VW) to create target code (Gemstone). The tool is almost complete (class renamings, needed for namespace translations, are missing and overrides are not tested) and provably useful, since it was sufficient to port the PDFtalk project with it.

To make it work for VW -> Pharo, class renamings need to get implemented, if you use namespaces in your source system. Also, the backend needs to get extended to create Tonel or FileOut format source files.

Both features are not too difficult to add. If your project is large, this might be a way to do it.

Especially, if you don’t want only a one-shot migration, but to maintain an evolving project for different dialects, this approach is very attractive, I find.

Happy hacking,

                Christian

[1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=gemstonefileout

[2] https://www.slideshare.net/esug/pdftalk-for-gemstone