Migration of pier tree

NorbertHartl
It seems I used quite some old pier instances. Back then there were environement and stuff in the root etc. In the meantime everything moved under the System node which I like. Is there any document/help that describes what needs to be changed in order to get an old instance confirming to this new layout?

Norbert

Re: Migration of pier tree

Lukas Renggli
There is migration code on the class side of PRMigrations that is
automatically called when you load new code. This code should fix most
problems with the model and I used it successfully to bring forward
some really old images like my website and seaside.st over the past 4
years.

Now for the environment there are no such migrations defined. I don't
remember exactly, but I guess an automatic conversion is not really
possible. Also this shouldn't be a problem, you will simply end up
with a new default environment. If you store the contents of your old
environment somewhere external beforehand, you should be able to paste
it into the update Pier instance with the new environments.

Lukas

On 13 April 2010 12:37, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It seems I used quite some old pier instances. Back then there were environement and stuff in the root etc. In the meantime everything moved under the System node which I like. Is there any document/help that describes what needs to be changed in order to get an old instance confirming to this new layout?
>
> Norbert

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Migration of pier tree

NorbertHartl

On 13.04.2010, at 17:29, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> There is migration code on the class side of PRMigrations that is
> automatically called when you load new code. This code should fix most
> problems with the model and I used it successfully to bring forward
> some really old images like my website and seaside.st over the past 4
> years.
>
> Now for the environment there are no such migrations defined. I don't
> remember exactly, but I guess an automatic conversion is not really
> possible. Also this shouldn't be a problem, you will simply end up
> with a new default environment. If you store the contents of your old
> environment somewhere external beforehand, you should be able to paste
> it into the update Pier instance with the new environments.

Thanks. When do I know if I need to convert the environments? I exported my pier kernel from an old gemstone image and imported it in a more recent image. I just discovered that now everything is under /System and assume there happened some changes along with changing the hierarchy. I was also interested if there is a description somewhere about how to create the new hierarchy manually.

Norbert

> On 13 April 2010 12:37, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It seems I used quite some old pier instances. Back then there were environement and stuff in the root etc. In the meantime everything moved under the System node which I like. Is there any document/help that describes what needs to be changed in order to get an old instance confirming to this new layout?
>>
>> Norbert

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Migration of pier tree

NorbertHartl
On the other hand it is just that

/_Systemmanagement becomes /system/management

Every environment is put into

/system/templates

and every component beneath _Environment is put into

/system/components

right?

On 19.04.2010, at 09:34, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 13.04.2010, at 17:29, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> There is migration code on the class side of PRMigrations that is
>> automatically called when you load new code. This code should fix most
>> problems with the model and I used it successfully to bring forward
>> some really old images like my website and seaside.st over the past 4
>> years.
>>
>> Now for the environment there are no such migrations defined. I don't
>> remember exactly, but I guess an automatic conversion is not really
>> possible. Also this shouldn't be a problem, you will simply end up
>> with a new default environment. If you store the contents of your old
>> environment somewhere external beforehand, you should be able to paste
>> it into the update Pier instance with the new environments.
>>
> Thanks. When do I know if I need to convert the environments? I exported my pier kernel from an old gemstone image and imported it in a more recent image. I just discovered that now everything is under /System and assume there happened some changes along with changing the hierarchy. I was also interested if there is a description somewhere about how to create the new hierarchy manually.
>
> Norbert
>
>> On 13 April 2010 12:37, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It seems I used quite some old pier instances. Back then there were environement and stuff in the root etc. In the meantime everything moved under the System node which I like. Is there any document/help that describes what needs to be changed in order to get an old instance confirming to this new layout?
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Migration of pier tree

Lukas Renggli
>> Now for the environment there are no such migrations defined. I don't
>> remember exactly, but I guess an automatic conversion is not really
>> possible. Also this shouldn't be a problem, you will simply end up
>> with a new default environment. If you store the contents of your old
>> environment somewhere external beforehand, you should be able to paste
>> it into the update Pier instance with the new environments.
>
> Thanks. When do I know if I need to convert the environments?

When new default environments are created.

> I exported my pier kernel from an old gemstone image and imported it in a more recent image. I just discovered that now everything is under /System and assume there happened some changes along with changing the hierarchy. I was also interested if there is a description somewhere about how to create the new hierarchy manually.

The hierarchy is not fixed, this is just by convention that I mostly
use a setup as follows:

\system
    \management (all the admin tools)
        \users
        \groups
    \design
        \components (basica widgets)
            \commands
       \templates (the individual templates)
            \root (the environment of the root)
            \blog (the environment of the blog)

You are free to rearrange and organize it as you wish though.

Lukas

> Norbert
>
>> On 13 April 2010 12:37, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It seems I used quite some old pier instances. Back then there were environement and stuff in the root etc. In the meantime everything moved under the System node which I like. Is there any document/help that describes what needs to be changed in order to get an old instance confirming to this new layout?
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Migration of pier tree

Lukas Renggli
On 19 April 2010 09:51, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the other hand it is just that
>
> /_Systemmanagement becomes /system/management
>
> Every environment is put into
>
> /system/templates
>
> and every component beneath _Environment is put into
>
> /system/components
>
> right?

The names are just for you. You can name it whatever you want. Pier
maintains object references to the environments and components.

Lukas

> On 19.04.2010, at 09:34, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>

>> On 13.04.2010, at 17:29, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>>> There is migration code on the class side of PRMigrations that is
>>> automatically called when you load new code. This code should fix most
>>> problems with the model and I used it successfully to bring forward
>>> some really old images like my website and seaside.st over the past 4
>>> years.
>>>
>>> Now for the environment there are no such migrations defined. I don't
>>> remember exactly, but I guess an automatic conversion is not really
>>> possible. Also this shouldn't be a problem, you will simply end up
>>> with a new default environment. If you store the contents of your old
>>> environment somewhere external beforehand, you should be able to paste
>>> it into the update Pier instance with the new environments.
>>>
>> Thanks. When do I know if I need to convert the environments? I exported my pier kernel from an old gemstone image and imported it in a more recent image. I just discovered that now everything is under /System and assume there happened some changes along with changing the hierarchy. I was also interested if there is a description somewhere about how to create the new hierarchy manually.
>>
>> Norbert

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Migration of pier tree

NorbertHartl

On 19.04.2010, at 09:54, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> On 19 April 2010 09:51, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On the other hand it is just that
>>
>> /_Systemmanagement becomes /system/management
>>
>> Every environment is put into
>>
>> /system/templates
>>
>> and every component beneath _Environment is put into
>>
>> /system/components
>>
>> right?
>
> The names are just for you. You can name it whatever you want. Pier
> maintains object references to the environments and components.

Thanks, I know. But the pier installation is the default and it is a good idea to be conform to it unless there is a reason not to do so.

Norbert