Migrator: to help you migrating to latest version of Pharo :)

Migrator: to help you migrating to latest version of Pharo :)

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

Today during the Pharo sprint I went over all the deprecated methods
in Pharo 70 and Pharo 60 and I checked if I could convert the
deprecated ones into deprecated:transformWith: so that the conversion
is done automatically to help people migrating from one version to the
other.

I also collected all the deprecated methods as well as the new
deprecated:transformWith: methods into a Package called Migrator
(should still merge the Pharo 60 and Pharo 70 version).

I plan to do the same for Pharo 50, 40, 30, 20. If you want to help feel free.

At the end we will have one package containing all the deprecated
methods of all the past versions. The way we will be able to support a
smoother conversion to more recent version.

Re: Migrator: to help you migrating to latest version of Pharo :)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
> …The way we will be able to support a
> smoother conversion to more recent version.

Awesome!!! Can't wait to take a look…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Migrator: to help you migrating to latest version of Pharo :)

CyrilFerlicot
On 30/03/2018 22:30, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> Today during the Pharo sprint I went over all the deprecated methods
> in Pharo 70 and Pharo 60 and I checked if I could convert the
> deprecated ones into deprecated:transformWith: so that the conversion
> is done automatically to help people migrating from one version to the
> other.
>
> I also collected all the deprecated methods as well as the new
> deprecated:transformWith: methods into a Package called Migrator
> (should still merge the Pharo 60 and Pharo 70 version).
>
> I plan to do the same for Pharo 50, 40, 30, 20. If you want to help feel free.
>
> At the end we will have one package containing all the deprecated
> methods of all the past versions. The way we will be able to support a
> smoother conversion to more recent version.
>

> Stef

This is cool!

Maybe this package can also contains help topics explaining some bigger
changes. It could contains for example the explanations of Guille and
Sven about the new file streams?

Also this package can be mentioned in the Welcome window of Pharo 7 I think.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Migrator: to help you migrating to latest version of Pharo :)

HilaireFernandes
This is really helpful. I remember when migrating from Pharo2 (or 1?) to
Pharo it helped a lot.

Regarding migration to P7/P6 from P3, the most challenging part was the
API change in the LayoutFrame, it used a lot the layout of the DrGeo GUI.

Btw, can someone with a Mac OS X 10.12.3, test if the bellow package[1]
work ?I don't have access to Mac now, the school is closed for holiday.

Thanks

Hilaire

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe7hvdrmz7mstvx/DrGeo-Pharo4.0.app.zip?dl=0

http://drgeo.eu

Re: Migrator: to help you migrating to latest version of Pharo :)

Stephane Ducasse-3
Sorry guy I'm not santa klaus.
I just do a little thing at a time.

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Cyril Ferlicot D.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/03/2018 22:30, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Today during the Pharo sprint I went over all the deprecated methods
>> in Pharo 70 and Pharo 60 and I checked if I could convert the
>> deprecated ones into deprecated:transformWith: so that the conversion
>> is done automatically to help people migrating from one version to the
>> other.
>>
>> I also collected all the deprecated methods as well as the new
>> deprecated:transformWith: methods into a Package called Migrator
>> (should still merge the Pharo 60 and Pharo 70 version).
>>
>> I plan to do the same for Pharo 50, 40, 30, 20. If you want to help feel free.
>>
>> At the end we will have one package containing all the deprecated
>> methods of all the past versions. The way we will be able to support a
>> smoother conversion to more recent version.
>>

>> Stef
>>

> This is cool!
>
> Maybe this package can also contains help topics explaining some bigger
> changes. It could contains for example the explanations of Guille and
> Sven about the new file streams?
>
> Also this package can be mentioned in the Welcome window of Pharo 7 I think.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Migrator: to help you migrating to latest version of Pharo :)

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi hilaire

Here the migration is even better because when a method is deprecated
(when possible) it is automatically transformed.

Now about LayoutFrame (it was a pain to do - we did around 260 changes
and still) I could not express a nice transformation
because this is mapping a given a point coordinate inside a rectangle
to a given instance variables.

What I did was to change the printOn: of layout frame to use the new
and correct api so that I could check everything manually.

As time allows I will crawl in Pharo 50, 40....