Mild annoyance to see from an inspector

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I see this in 9.2. It may exist in earlier versions, too.

When I select a variable from the list, I can get a pop up message that interferes with what I want to do. The message is misleading, but more important is that I think it's unnecessary.

Annoying.png (21K) Download Attachment

Re: Mild annoyance to see from an inspector

Seth Berman
I haven't seen that in ages.
And I thought I removed all of those.
Did you disable Scintilla by chance?

- Seth

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 1:38:25 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
I see this in 9.2. It may exist in earlier versions, too.

When I select a variable from the list, I can get a pop up message that interferes with what I want to do. The message is misleading, but more important is that I think it's unnecessary.

Re: Mild annoyance to see from an inspector

Seth Berman
Hi Richard,

I guess I do see some refs in the old color editor.
So, this obviously means you do have scintilla disabled
since Scintilla is unrestricted in this regard.

Try:
StsPowerTools parseTreeMaxMethodTextSize: SmallInteger largest

and I think you won't get it anymore.

- Seth

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM 'Seth Berman' via VA Smalltalk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't seen that in ages.
And I thought I removed all of those.
Did you disable Scintilla by chance?

It doesn't look like it. But, it might disabled by the GBS debugger for itself. (Fetching code from the GemStone server during the Scintilla callback is problematic.)
How would disabling Scintilla make that message occur?

- Seth

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 1:38:25 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
I see this in 9.2. It may exist in earlier versions, too.

When I select a variable from the list, I can get a pop up message that interferes with what I want to do. The message is misleading, but more important is that I think it's unnecessary.

Re: Mild annoyance to see from an inspector

Seth Berman
Hi Richard,

If you see that message, then scintilla is definitely disabled.  And looking at your inspector...I can see that it is.
Disabling scintilla means you are using the old timerproc based StsColorText editor (and backing StsOSColorText osWidget).
The prompters for 'method too long to color' are only there.
Specifically,  StsColorText>>[paste | replace:toPos:value: | setString:] and StsOSColorText>>processCharacter:

- Seth

To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/766e3134-d991-42cc-91bb-00ac760fdd9d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/766e3134-d991-42cc-91bb-00ac760fdd9d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/766e3134-d991-42cc-91bb-00ac760fdd9d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/766e3134-d991-42cc-91bb-00ac760fdd9d%40googlegroups.com.