MingW port of GNU Smalltalk

Bram Neijt
Hi.

In 2003 there has been an effort to get it GNU Smalltalk on MingW (
http://www.advogato.org/person/bonzini/diary.html?start=4 ) and it
seems to have worked.

I'm trying to get gst to work on MS so I can write GTK apps on Linux
and afterwards just run them on both platforms.

I've gotten 2.2 to work on cygwin and to compile on mingw (after some
source hacking), however, my efforts don't seem to have paid off. The
executable I could create doesn't function properly.

Has anybody gotten further or are there any hints into getting it to work?

Greetings,
  Bram

PS The lexer module (lex.c) seems to be hand made, is this true or is
there a flex file somewhere?

REĀ : MingW port of GNU Smalltalk

Paolo Bonzini
> I've gotten 2.2 to work on cygwin and to compile on mingw (after some
> source hacking), however, my efforts don't seem to have paid off. The
> executable I could create doesn't function properly.

Cygwin should not be a problem.  For Mingw, please send me the source hacking.

> Has anybody gotten further or are there any hints into getting it to work?

Unfortunately I don't have a Windows machine (I'm on PPC, so Mac OS/Linux there, plus I have ssh access to some i686-linux machines but no i686-darwin or i686-mingw

> PS The lexer module (lex.c) seems to be hand made, is this true or is
> there a flex file somewhere?

No, there is none.  In fact, the bigger problem of hand made lexers is actually managing the input buffers, and this is something that would require considerable hacking even with flex (see input.c).  Hence the choice of a hand-written lexer.

In more recent versions, the parser is also hand made.

Paolo