Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

abergel
Hi!

Is there a simple way to translate Pharo code into Javascript?
There is Pharo JS, but I cannot load it in Pharo 6. There is the amber compiler, but I cannot find a version for Pharo.

Amber takes the approach of translating everything into JavaScript, including the Smalltalk object model. While this is great for fan of bootstrapping images, it produces large javascript code.

Is there a kind of Slang for JavaScript? I am looking for something minimal.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

Hannes Hirzel
On 3/10/17, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a simple way to translate Pharo code into Javascript?
> There is Pharo JS, but I cannot load it in Pharo 6. There is the amber
> compiler, but I cannot find a version for Pharo.
>
> Amber takes the approach of translating everything into JavaScript,
> including the Smalltalk object model. While this is great for fan of
> bootstrapping images, it produces large javascript code.
>
> Is there a kind of Slang for JavaScript? I am looking for something
> minimal.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Hello Alexandre

Something like this
    https://github.com/ympbyc/LittleSmallscript

or

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5860 which refers to
    http://www.squeaksource.com/@xxu3r2Ma7SbqJi3E/1j-SgMCf (74000 downloads).

People have used it successfully.

There is probably a Pharo port.

--Hannes

Re: [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 06:16:26AM +0100, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 3/10/17, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is there a simple way to translate Pharo code into Javascript?
> > There is Pharo JS, but I cannot load it in Pharo 6. There is the amber
> > compiler, but I cannot find a version for Pharo.
> >
> > Amber takes the approach of translating everything into JavaScript,
> > including the Smalltalk object model. While this is great for fan of
> > bootstrapping images, it produces large javascript code.
> >
> > Is there a kind of Slang for JavaScript? I am looking for something
> > minimal.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alexandre
>

> Hello Alexandre
>

> Something like this
>     https://github.com/ympbyc/LittleSmallscript
>
> or
>

>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5860 which refers to
>     http://www.squeaksource.com/@xxu3r2Ma7SbqJi3E/1j-SgMCf (74000 downloads).
>
> People have used it successfully.
>
> There is probably a Pharo port.

There is also an actual Slang code generator for Javascript, written
by Bert Freudenburg and used to generated the VM plugins for the
SqueakJS VM. You can find it in the VMMaker package (not VMMaker.oscog)
at http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker, see class JSCodeGenerator.

Dave

Re: [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Dave,

I was looking for the class you mention, JSCodeGenerator in the
VMMaker repository, but I did not find it.

Where do I need to go?

Regards

--Hannes

Searching_for_JSCodeGenerator_Screenshot_2017-03-14.png (110K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

Hannes Hirzel
You mean this one (attached)?

How would I use it standalone to translate Smalltalk to JavaScript?

--Hannes

VMMakerJS_bf_Screenshot_2017-03-14.png (41K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

abergel
Thanks for your answers!
We will have a close look at this.

Cheers,