Minimal Squeak 3.8 image and how to stop an image to grow

Minimal Squeak 3.8 image and how to stop an image to grow

Florian Minjat
Hi,
   As I am trying to put a seaside app on a professional server, the
problem of the size needed for Squeak+Seaside occured. I searched
through the mailing list and the internet, and found many ways to
shrink the image, but each seems non trivial. So before trying to do
it myself, has anyone already done a small usable image for Seaside ?

   And finally, my seaside app begins to be pretty big and I noticed
that the image grows on time. My first idea is that there are a lot of
memory leak, like obsolete instances with references which are not
collected by the GC. So are there tools to monitor all the instances
of the image and to find the cause of the problem ? All ideas are
welcomed :).

Thanks in advance,

Florian

Re: Minimal Squeak 3.8 image and how to stop an image to grow

Avi  Bryant

On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:43 AM, Florian Minjat wrote:

> Hi,
>   As I am trying to put a seaside app on a professional server, the
> problem of the size needed for Squeak+Seaside occured. I searched
> through the mailing list and the internet, and found many ways to
> shrink the image, but each seems non trivial. So before trying to
> do it myself, has anyone already done a small usable image for
> Seaside ?

I have a Seaside image based on 3.7 that's about 7.5MB.  Will that help?

>   And finally, my seaside app begins to be pretty big and I noticed
> that the image grows on time. My first idea is that there are a lot
> of memory leak, like obsolete instances with references which are
> not collected by the GC. So are there tools to monitor all the
> instances of the image and to find the cause of the problem ? All
> ideas are welcomed :).

The most likely culprit is Monticello.  On the repository side of the
Monticello Browser, there's a "flush cached versions" menu item that
might help.

Avi

Avi Bryant wrote:
> I have a Seaside image based on 3.7 that's about 7.5MB.  Will that help?

Yes, it will be a good base for the server image. Where can I download
it ?

> The most likely culprit is Monticello.  On the repository side of the
> Monticello Browser, there's a "flush cached versions" menu item that
> might help.

I didn't find this menu item. But with some search on the mailling
list, I find the console command :
MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.

Thanks !

Florian

Re: Minimal Squeak 3.8 image and how to stop an image to grow

garduino
2006/3/22, Avi Bryant <[hidden email]>:

> On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:43 AM, Florian Minjat wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >   As I am trying to put a seaside app on a professional server, the
> > problem of the size needed for Squeak+Seaside occured. I searched
> > through the mailing list and the internet, and found many ways to
> > shrink the image, but each seems non trivial. So before trying to
> > do it myself, has anyone already done a small usable image for
> > Seaside ?
>
> I have a Seaside image based on 3.7 that's about 7.5MB.  Will that help?

I'm also interested in such image.

It's available to download?