MinimalWorld (and a wish)

milan zimmermann
My morning pleasure last 2 weeks or so have become to open the
PartsBin, go to "Latest", and see what shows up. This morning it was
the MinimalWorld. This is a beautiful 'retro'!

Thanks,
milan

PS: It also reminded me of this : it's Inspector shows methods -
unless I am missing something, the Lively explorer does not. Is that
something that is possible to add? (It is also item W1 on my wish list
http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/mzimmerm/lively-bugs-and-wishes.xhtml
)

Re: MinimalWorld (and a wish)

Lincke, Jens
Hi, Milan -

we decided to not show them, but I missed them to... so maybe we should add them again.

Best,
Jens

Am 06.02.2012 um 18:43 schrieb Milan Zimmermann:

PS: It also reminded me of this : it's Inspector shows methods -
unless I am missing something, the Lively explorer does not. Is that
something that is possible to add? (It is also item W1 on my wish list
http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/mzimmerm/lively-bugs-and-wishes.xhtml
)

Re: MinimalWorld (and a wish)

milan zimmermann
Thanks Jens

(I'd vote for methods in Explorer if there was a +1 :) )

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Jens Lincke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Milan -
>
> we decided to not show them, but I missed them to... so maybe we should add
> them again.
>
> Best,
> Jens
>
> Am 06.02.2012 um 18:43 schrieb Milan Zimmermann:
>

> PS: It also reminded me of this : it's Inspector shows methods -
> unless I am missing something, the Lively explorer does not. Is that
> something that is possible to add? (It is also item W1 on my wish list
> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/mzimmerm/lively-bugs-and-wishes.xhtml
> )

Re: MinimalWorld (and a wish)

Dan Ingalls-4
Thanks for your interest!

One reason to leave out methods is that they can make the inspector complicated when you want it to be simple.

If someone makes a project out of this here are several things to consider
        Maybe a switch for methods vs other properties
        Maybe distinguish inherited state from most local

Also it should be noted that we are considering putting some inspect capabilities into the scripters to give a more complete object view while reducing the number of items in the halo (and pie menus where applicable).

FWIW

   - Dan
-----------
On Feb 6, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> Thanks Jens
>
> (I'd vote for methods in Explorer if there was a +1 :) )
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Jens Lincke
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, Milan -
>>
>> we decided to not show them, but I missed them to... so maybe we should add
>> them again.
>>
>> Best,
>> Jens
>>
>> Am 06.02.2012 um 18:43 schrieb Milan Zimmermann:
>>

>> PS: It also reminded me of this : it's Inspector shows methods -
>> unless I am missing something, the Lively explorer does not. Is that
>> something that is possible to add? (It is also item W1 on my wish list
>> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/mzimmerm/lively-bugs-and-wishes.xhtml
>> )

Re: MinimalWorld (and a wish)

milan zimmermann
Dan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that showing methods could
make for information overload (especially when inherited are not shown
separately or somehow visually suppressed). Just curious what are the
scripters (perhaps it's the object editors)

Thanks,

Milan