Minimum Class set ...

jamesl
Hi All,

As I continue to translate Pharo to Java as part of the Redline project I wonder,
what is the minimum set of classes and methods I need to implement?

I ask this because when I go through all the methods in Object I see a lot that
I don't think I need to enable the Compiler to work.

Would it be ok to just include those classes and methods that are defined in
the Smalltalk-80 Language and it implementation (Blue) book, and the primitives?

Some have already suggested looking at little smalltalk or the mini squeak image
and I am.

Rgs, James.

Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!

Re: Minimum Class set ...

Michael Roberts-2
2010/4/14 James Ladd <[hidden email]>:
> Hi All,
>
> As I continue to translate Pharo to Java as part of the Redline project I
> wonder,
> what is the minimum set of classes and methods I need to implement?

...it probably depends on what image you want to run.  Are you going
to bootstrap or trace an image by hand, or reuse one that already
exists?

> I ask this because when I go through all the methods in Object I see a lot
> that
> I don't think I need to enable the Compiler to work.
>
> Would it be ok to just include those classes and methods that are defined in
> the Smalltalk-80 Language and it implementation (Blue) book, and the
> primitives?

...if you wanted to run a Smalltalk-80 image, i guess the answer would
be yes.  do you have one?

for ideas you could also look at Ian Piumarta's Cola work [1], which
has a st-80 class library [2] and an example VM [3].  I haven't looked
at it for a while, but you see in the svn view a familiar looking
mini.image.

cheers,
Mike

[1] http://piumarta.com/software/cola/
[2] http://piumarta.com/svn2/idst/trunk/object/st80/
[3] http://piumarta.com/svn2/idst/trunk/object/examples/sqvm/

Re: Minimum Class set ...

Mariano Martinez Peck
As you said, there are some related works you can look at: Mini Squeak, Resilient, Smallworld and <a href="http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/MarianoPhD/7" onmouseover="window.status=&#39;last edited 98 days ago&#39;; return true" onmouseout="window.status=&#39; &#39;; return true">Squeat,

That's all I know.

Cheers

Mariano