Missing OCX error messages

David G. Wachtel
I have DXP installed on both ME and 98SE. When cruising the resource browser
in 98SE error messages were generated indicating that there were some
missing ocx files. I searched the web and found the files, installed them
and the transcript error messages went away.  The files turned out to be MS
Visual Basic V6x run time files. One of the ocx files I had to install
separately and register it by hand as it wasn't included in the VB 6x run
time installation.

If my application is to be installed on a customers Windows 98 machine will
I have to include these files or at least instructions on how to download
and install them? I anticipate that the answer is yes?

Dave
-------------
Dave Wachtel
President, CSI Technologies, Inc.
Activities Director/Membership Chairman
Mohawk Hudson Region, Sports Car Club of America
[hidden email]
http://www.acmenet.net/~dwachtel
http://www.mohud-scca.org

Re: Missing OCX error messages

Bill Dargel
David G. Wachtel wrote:

> I have DXP installed on both ME and 98SE. When cruising the resource browser
> in 98SE error messages were generated indicating that there were some
> missing ocx files.
> [SNIP]

FYI, I too noticed this with Dolphin 5 on Windows 98 4.10.2222 A.

Just moving the selection one line at a time through the list of the Resource
Browser generated the following in the Transcript (looks like problems are
really with the line after the selection, which are being (partially) displayed
in the list for the first time). --

on DatePresenter Default view (DatePresenter Month view line partially
displayed) --
Resource library mscomct2.ocx could not be opened ('mscomct2.ocx' (16r485: One
of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.))

on TextPresenter Default view (TextPresenter Masked edit line partially
displayed) --
Resource library msmask32.ocx could not be opened ('msmask32.ocx' (16r485: One
of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.))

Also, opening DatePresenter Month view in the View Composer shows "(Error
creating control: 'MSComCtl2.MonthView' Invalid or unregistered prog id" in the
widget of the View Composer. And the Transcript reports --

Error dispatching id(0x000000040a):  a Win32Error('Not implemented (16r4001: Not
implemented)'), from an AXEventSink(a GUID({3050F260-
98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}) 134186884)
Error dispatching id(0x0000000415):  a Win32Error('Not implemented (16r4001: Not
implemented)'), from an AXEventSink(a
GUID({3050F260-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}) 134186884)
Error dispatching id(0x0000000414):  a Win32Error('Not implemented (16r4001: Not
implemented)'), from an AXEventSink(a
GUID({3050F260-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}) 134186884)

And trying to open TextPresenter Masked edit in the View Composer generates the
exception --
'Invalid access to memory location. Reading 0xFFFFFFFF, IP 0x1088951 (C:\PROGRAM
FILES\COMMON FILES\OBJECT ARTS\DOLPHIN SMALLTALK 5.0\DOLPHINVM005.DLL)'
ProcessorScheduler>>gpFault:
[] in ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
IMSMask(ExternalStructure)>>invalidCall
IMSMask>>get_Text:
IMSMask>>text
MaskedEdit>>plainText

Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: Missing OCX error messages

Blair McGlashan
"David G. Wachtel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I have DXP installed on both ME and 98SE. When cruising the resource
browser
> in 98SE error messages were generated indicating that there were some
> missing ocx files.

The messages are just informational warnings that a resource library used as
a source of icons cannot be found, and can be ignored.

>... I searched the web and found the files, installed them
> and the transcript error messages went away.  The files turned out to be
MS
> Visual Basic V6x run time files. One of the ocx files I had to install
> separately and register it by hand as it wasn't included in the VB 6x run
> time installation.

They are MS controls that are supplied with VB (among other things) yes.

> If my application is to be installed on a customers Windows 98 machine
will
> I have to include these files or at least instructions on how to download
> and install them? I anticipate that the answer is yes?

No, unless you want to use those components. As explained in the release
notes wrappers for MSMask and the MonthView OCX are included in case they
are (a) useful (especially the former), and (b) to demonstrate how to create
such a wrapper. From the package comment for MSMask:

"...
This class depends on having the Microsoft Masked Edit (MSMASK) control
installed. Development machines with a Microsoft Visual Studio product (such
as VB) will have this control. If this view class is used in an application
then it is necessary to distribute MSMASK32.OCX. Note that this Active-X
control is licensed. A Microsoft Installer merge module for the control is
available from Microsoft.

Documentation on the Masked Edit control is available on MSDN, e.g. see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/vbasic/masked98/vbobjmaskedit
.htm

and

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/vbasic/vbcon98/vbconusingmask